The Truth About Beats by Dre!
Oct 4, 2014 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Xeculus

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure if anyone has posted this on the Beats thread(s), but this video does a pretty great summary of Beats and why they're so successful. Most of this stuff pretty much has been said before countless times already, but this is a pretty good video to show any friends that may not know a lot about headphones 

Got a friend to pick the SE215 over Tours with this 
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 3
Marques has good reviews. But I've come to appreciate Beats' presence in the industry. Names like Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, or Grado have been around for decades. Their sales to audiophiles aren't going anywhere. It's always been niche, you either knew where to get that stuff because you cared, or you didn't. The only direction the sales for those companies will go due to Beats' presence in the market is up. Nobody here buying those brands will switch to Beats (unless, of course, they actually start producing really good headphones), but I can guarantee you there will be converts from Beats to other brands. The big audiophiles names should let Beats spend all the money in advertising to bring people into the hobby. Now they also have a chunk of Apple's marketing budget. You know what that translates to? Millions of dollars of trickle-down advertising to Head-Fi. Let Beyer, Senn, and Grado keep putting money into audio, and once the millions of people buying Beats demo another set of cans in a store - if their ears are more honest than their fashion sense - we will soon have a huge market demand for quality headphones. And that will be better for everyone ultimately. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 3
  Marques has good reviews. But I've come to appreciate Beats' presence in the industry. Names like Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, or Grado have been around for decades. Their sales to audiophiles aren't going anywhere. It's always been niche, you either knew where to get that stuff because you cared, or you didn't. The only direction the sales for those companies will go due to Beats' presence in the market is up. Nobody here buying those brands will switch to Beats (unless, of course, they actually start producing really good headphones), but I can guarantee you there will be converts from Beats to other brands. The big audiophiles names should let Beats spend all the money in advertising to bring people into the hobby. Now they also have a chunk of Apple's marketing budget. You know what that translates to? Millions of dollars of trickle-down advertising to Head-Fi. Let Beyer, Senn, and Grado keep putting money into audio, and once the millions of people buying Beats demo another set of cans in a store - if their ears are more honest than their fashion sense - we will soon have a huge market demand for quality headphones. And that will be better for everyone ultimately. 

+1

I myself first got into headphones when a friend mentioned Beats. Thought they were way too expensive at the time, bought a Skullcandy. Eventually I got curious enough about SQ that I made it over to Head-Fi. And the rest was history  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back