The Toneking discussion lounge
Sep 11, 2019 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 351

thejoker13

500+ Head-Fier
Greetings friends! I looked and was surprised to find that no Toneking threads existed here. I created this page for discussion about any and all Toneking products. There are no rules here, so posting music that you enjoy on your Tonekings, is not taboo.
What Tonekings have you tried or owned, and what are your impressions on them?

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 351
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/toneking-nine-tail.22673/reviews#review-22421

Toneking Nine Tails Review.
My favourite single DD IEM cause of its natural organic timbre, very suitable for acoustic instrument music, like jazz, big band, classical.
Also has interchangable filters to give a V shaped tuning, to neutralish tuning to even basshead tuning.

I was very surprised that the ninetails can hit basshead levels actually, without EQ, and just using stock cables and tips. When I hooked it up to my desktop setup (khadas tone board -> fiio A3 -> ninetails), with both bass filters on the front and back, I had jaw rattling bass that gave me a headache lol. I think it has something to do with the synergy with the DAC/AMP, as I don't get such bass levels with just a smartphone connection.
If there is one or two IEMs in my 20 strong collection of IEMs that I will never give away, it will be the nine tails and the Audiosense T800.

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 351
Sep 11, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 351
I like your T88K review. Unfortunately I already own an 8 knowles BA in the T800, and T88K looks expensive. Maybe if it is heavily discounted I will consider getting it.

I think Toneking was previously named Music Maker. But their products look very high quality in general, with knowles drivers used.

I wonder how long it has been since they released a new product. It seems like the ones mentioned so far, plus the buds that I know about have been available for a while now.

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 351
I wonder how long it has been since they released a new product. It seems like the ones mentioned so far, plus the buds that I know about have been available for a while now.

Ya seems they have been quite quiet on the release front. Definitely a big contrast to the weekly KZ releases LOL.

I saw that toneking also has a shockwave 3 with good reviews. Any of u guys tried it?

And interestingly they have an IEM version of the tomahawk earbud, I think @archdawg has it. Is it good?

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 351
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/toneking-nine-tail.22673/reviews#review-22421

Toneking Nine Tails Review.
My favourite single DD IEM cause of its natural organic timbre, very suitable for acoustic instrument music, like jazz, big band, classical.
Also has interchangable filters to give a V shaped tuning, to neutralish tuning to even basshead tuning.

I was very surprised that the ninetails can hit basshead levels actually, without EQ, and just using stock cables and tips. When I hooked it up to my desktop setup (khadas tone board -> fiio A3 -> ninetails), with both bass filters on the front and back, I had jaw rattling bass that gave me a headache lol. I think it has something to do with the synergy with the DAC/AMP, as I don't get such bass levels with just a smartphone connection.
If there is one or two IEMs in my 20 strong collection of IEMs that I will never give away, it will be the nine tails and the Audiosense T800.
The Nine Tails really are a great and natural sounding iem. I'm going to have to jam them again soon. I've been loving the T88k's a ton too ever since I got them.

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 351
Great idea to open this new thread! I'm following this brand for some time, waiting for a product like 9tails with better ergonomics, but I've been quite tempted to get the 9tails anyway. Only reason to not bite the hook yet is I already have LZ A4, which is a great sounding IEM with tuning filters as well =)

Sep 11, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 351
The Nine Tails really are a great and natural sounding iem. I'm going to have to jam them again soon. I've been loving the T88k's a ton too ever since I got them.

Yes, I need to get mine back out again soon. Too many new things have been arriving. I use the silver/silver filters on mine and have been happy with that, but I might experiment a little... even if it is to put red on the rear for a new look:)

Great idea to open this new thread! I'm following this brand for some time, waiting for a product like 9tails with better ergonomics, but I've been quite tempted to get the 9tails anyway. Only reason to not bite the hook yet is I already have LZ A4, which is a great sounding IEM with tuning filters as well =)

You might be surprised about the ergonomics. I was put off by the look at first but someone assured me that they fit well and are comfortable so I took a chance. No problems at all... once you figure out which way they go. They are a comfortable fit for me.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #12 of 351

The ergonomics look weird and it takes a few attempts to know how to fit it in the ear, but after that it is very comfortable and light. I can use it for half a day continuously and forget that it's inside the ear.
How's the LZ A4? I seen quite a few good reviews too and that it's a basshead IEM?

I heard the JVC HA FDX1 that just released on massdrop is like a japanese ninetails version with tuning filters. I'm keeping an eye on that one, but it is pretty expensive.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 351
I like your T88K review. Unfortunately I already own an 8 knowles BA in the T800, and T88K looks expensive. Maybe if it is heavily discounted I will consider getting it.

I think Toneking was previously named Music Maker. But their products look very high quality in general, with knowles drivers used.
Yeah, they used to go by Musicmaker awhile ago. I believe the creator/tuner goes by the name Mr Z.
I haven't been able to audition the T800 yet, but I believe they and the T88k would be almost polar opposites to each other. The T88k are a smooth, and relaxing listen and it seems like the T800 are more of an energized and exciting listen, with a brighter tonality.

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 351
Yeah, they used to go by Musicmaker awhile ago. I believe the creator/tuner goes by the name Mr Z.
I haven't been able to audition the T800 yet, but I believe they and the T88k would be almost polar opposites to each other. The T88k are a smooth, and relaxing listen and it seems like the T800 are more of an energized and exciting listen, with a brighter tonality.

I am the type of listener who goes for smooth and relaxing. I do most of my listening at home late at night. Sometimes, if my husband is working nightshift, I have been known to accidentally listen until dawn.

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #15 of 351
I believe the newest release was their planar driver iem, but that's it since they released the T series line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back