The Tomahawk...an ultra-portable amplifier for IEMs
Dec 29, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #706 of 931
Thanks Ray,

Looking at the bottom of the Tomahawk with it positioned so that the text is oriented properly, the battery on the left is tip down. So I inserted the batteries with the left battery tip down, right battery tip up.

I now have them inserted in the opposite way and the unit powers up and produces output which sounds good. The fact that there was smoke and odor says something burned. Should it work at all if the Tomahawk chip fried?

Anyway for me to tell for certain what fried?

Thanks Ray,

Pony

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #707 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So something like a crowbar diode would have dropped the voltage too much?

Correct. I do have 2 of them in the SR-71. But then SR-71 has 18 volts between it's two batteries polarity, so no problem with having little drop. That one is protected.
Ray Samuels

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #708 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Correct. I do have 2 of them in the SR-71. But then SR-71 has 18 volts between it's two batteries polarity, so no problem with having little drop. That one is protected.
Ray Samuels

Got it, thanks Ray.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #709 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Ray,

Looking at the bottom of the Tomahawk with it positioned so that the text is oriented properly, the battery on the left is tip down. So I inserted the batteries with the left battery tip down, right battery tip up.

I now have them inserted in the opposite way and the unit powers up and produces output which sounds good. The fact that there was smoke and odor says something burned. Should it work at all if the Tomahawk chip fried?

Anyway for me to tell for certain what fried?

Thanks Ray,

Pony

If kept on for long time with the batteries inserted the wrong way, for a long time, the chip will heat up & then self distruct. If it works now, as you say, then the chip is not gone. It just got hot & melted some of the red color paint on it, but did not self distruct. You are ok.
Ray Samuels

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #710 of 931
Quote:

Tod...
None of the Tomahawks will slip out of my two hands with out ME listening to it for 10 minutes. Every one is built & checked carefully to make sure that the gain switch works & it is alligned right in the middle of the back panel slot. But can do nothing regarding batteries being installed incorrectly.
Ray Samuels

That I am sure of my Sir!!!

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #711 of 931
I can see where the battery diagram could be confusing, where you see the bottom as being what lines up to which way too insert the batteries.

I view the battery diagram with the plate laying down like in this picture, which matches the circuit board printing.

Edwood_Tomahawk_07.jpg

So I look at the circuit board printing as well to double check.

I think that future models could have a little triangle or arrow to indicate the direction in which the batteries are loaded so as to make it even clearer as to the way the batteries go in.

A photoshopped image of what this could look like:
Edwood_Tomahawk_RevisedSilkscreen_01.jpg

In the meantime, for anyone really worried about making a mistake, you could cut a small triangle of tape or sticker and put it on the back plate as shown on my image above.

-Ed

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #712 of 931
Quote:

If kept on for long time with the batteries inserted the wrong way, for a long time, the chip will heat up & then self distruct. If it works now, as you say, then the chip is not gone. It just got hot & melted some of the red color paint on it, but did not self distruct. You are ok.
Ray Samuels

If it smells like a sweet paint laquer type smell, sounds like it's the red paint.

If it has a more acrid metallic smell, then something definitely is fried.

-Ed

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #715 of 931
Posted 12/17/06

Quote:

The Tomahawk's Holiday, intro price is over with.
The regular price for black Tomahawk is $295.00.
The Regular price for the White/clear Tomahawk is $310.00.
Shipping in the US is $14.00 via fed-ex 2-3 days delivery with tracking # Add the 3% pay-pal fee.
Shipping out of US is $24.00 USPS, tracking # is useless & means nothing. Please add 4% pay-pal fee.

PLEASE remeber if you are sending payment for your RESERVED Tomahawk during the 2 coming weeks, grace period, you have to indicate which (POST #) you have in this long thread. Payment with out post # will be refunded to the sender.

If you are sending payment to reserve a Tomahawk for your self, please do not ask for the into-price.
I have no time to answer all the e-mail just for a question like that.

All the silk screened chassis are in. All parts are here. I was promised that tomorrow, Monday 12/18/06, the PC brds will be delivered by hand to my place. You know what that means? Sleepless nights, no shower or brushing teeths, no frieds are welcomed to my place, no listening to music, no seeing my beloved grand child, lots of coffee, many migrane pills, ok ok you got the picture.
Ray Samuels

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #716 of 931
so when is the 2 week grace period over? Is it today? I posted in time to get the introductory price, but I'm still debabting whether or not I can afford it right now. Actually I can afford it, I just don't know what IEMs I want to buy yet. Still trying to do as much research as possible, so I want as much time a possible.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #717 of 931
you should just get the tomahawk at the intro price if ray still offers it for you. it's definitely worth your money. i'm loving mine.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #718 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should just get the tomahawk at the intro price if ray still offers it for you. it's definitely worth your money. i'm loving mine.

I don't have any IEM right now, just grados sr-80, Koss kcs75, and Senn. 650. I'm not sure if I should just get a Hornet. Looks like I have till midnight central time. Tha's what I gathered from an earlier post.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #719 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by duff138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have any IEM right now, just grados sr-80, Koss kcs75, and Senn. 650. I'm not sure if I should just get a Hornet. Looks like I have till midnight central time. Tha's what I gathered from an earlier post.

Tomahawk is a no-brainer at the intro price. If you don't like it, you are guaranteed not to lose $.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #720 of 931
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray, Are all of us signed-up in this thread getting the Tomahawk for $250 or are they now $300?

You are in the grace period. You can get it for the intro price if you have posted in the Tomahawk thread. Please indicate your post #. If you don't your payment will be refunded back to you.
Ray samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back