The Tinnitus Support Thread
Sep 5, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #16 of 27
you think you guys are having problems? Nah, I've blown a black cat next to my right ear and now the frequency range there is about 20hz-14khz. Left ear is fine and dandy, however.

Sep 5, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by TaffyGuy
it all started when i got my ety's and the enormous isolation allowed me to discern the slight sensation of crappy stupid dumb dumb ringing in my ears.

TaffyGuy, that statement makes me think you don't have tinnitus. It's perfectly normal to notice a high-frequency ringing in your ears in very quite environments: it's your nervous system. Anyone can hear it (assuming their ears are okay) by lying on his arm or, like you, sticking earplugs/Etys in his ears.

If you don't hear a ringing or whatever in a normal context, you probably have absolutely nothing wrong.

kerelybonto

Sep 5, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein

now THAT is a scary thought
eek.gif

Oh, it's not that bad. My hair starting going at 23, and I just shaved it right off, and acted like it was never there.
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 27
I went to an audiologist to check on my ears about 6 months ago. I have had ringing in them for years.

My right ear was down by 6db from my left. The left was normal. The doctor asked me if I did anything which involved loud sounds. I said "like ride Harleys, shoot shotguns or play in loud bands?" He said yeah, which one. I said all of them.

I think headphones are the least of my worries.

Sep 6, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
Quote:

Originally posted by bubbaj
Wait till your hair starts to fall out.

now THAT is a scary thought
eek.gif

Not if it's the hair in your ears. I would love for that to fall out.

Sep 6, 2002 at 12:03 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Has anyone ever heard of someone's hearing changing for the better? Of course not.

Actually, a former competitor of mine, the publisher/editor of the Canadian audio magazine "The Inner Ear Report", claimed in one of his early issues that because of a brain aneurism (SP) he suddenly obtained super human hearing. His editorial went on to describe how he was sitting in his living room, depressed because of his recent affliction, when he heard a strange noise eminating from the corner of the room. It took him a while to locate the source of the noise, but finally he was successful.

From 15 feet away, he could hear a small spider spinning a web!

True story.

And people actually take this guy's advice on audio equipment.

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #22 of 27
Is it possible that people with excellent hearing are more likely to hear their own tinnitus (and/or nervous systems) than people of average or impaired hearing?

I've taken to wearing earplugs around high-frequency devices like CRT screens, computers, etc. The whining drives me nuts.

I do have that tiny, barely discernable, dog-whistle-high sound in my ears at night (or in silent places by day). I will have my hearing checked, and if there's no actual hearing loss, then I'm just going to keep my phones under 85dB (I never listen more than 2 hrs at a time anyway) and take my vitamins.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
It's perfectly normal to notice a high-frequency ringing in your ears in very quite environments: it's your nervous system. Anyone can hear it (assuming their ears are okay) by lying on his arm or, like you, sticking earplugs/Etys in his ears.

If you don't hear a ringing or whatever in a normal context, you probably have absolutely nothing wrong.

kerelybonto

Are you sure about this kerely? I thought this too... but now I am not sure? I don't know too much about it, but can anyone else back this statement up? How are we supposed to know?

I too fear the dark touch of tinnitus. Recently I have begun hearing short bursts of high pitched sound, mostly in my left ear. I've only really started noticing it since I got my HD 600s and since participating on this board (and becoming more wary of tinnitus). I wonder if I have always had it or if I am just more attuned to hearing it now that I know what tinnitus is. I suppose it is not fully developed yet... but I really do not want to aggrevate it anymore. I will begin carrying earplugs around with me -- that is a good idea.

Does anyone know if messing around physically with the ear can cause tinnitus too? I mean, like stuffing a cue-tip in too deep or something like that? I swear I did that once and it made my ears a lot more sensitive...

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #24 of 27
Count me in as a tinnitus sufferer. Had it since a child and I suspect I know what caused it, but it is hard to be sure after so long. I have noticed, it is also tied to blood pressure. The higher my BP goes the louder and more insistent the ringing gets. After 6 cups of coffee it really gets going! Mine does tend to change in volume evry few minutes.

Nov 1, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #25 of 27
You know how if you turn on the TV to a non-tuned channel (showing only snow) you can hear a sort of high pitched whine. Well I sometimes get that ... like I'm sitting at my desk reading a book and I'll hear the whining in one ear .... and then it will go away after a while.

What do you make of that?

Nov 1, 2002 at 11:28 AM Post #26 of 27
My monitor does that.. I hate it!

I have a pressure problem. My ears crackle when I swallow, and always seem to go weird like when you're in a plane. They don't seem to discharge the pressure normally.

I use EX70s. How do you go abouts finding out the DB? I = clueless newb.

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by myself, aka me
My monitor does that.. I hate it!

I have a pressure problem. My ears crackle when I swallow, and always seem to go weird like when you're in a plane. They don't seem to discharge the pressure normally.

I use EX70s. How do you go abouts finding out the DB? I = clueless newb.

AHHHHH Thats it .... you just hit the nail on the head ... for me.

I have that crackling problem too ... whats interesting is I can control it i.e.; I can physically make that crackling sound again and again ... as many times as I like. Without opening my jaw.

In airplanes when the pressure changes I do the crackling thing to even out the presure in my ears.

Does someone know what this crackling thing is?
Is it bad for you? Is it a condition?

Darn you ... I just came from Auckland, NZ
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back