The thrill of the hunt and scoring that deal.
Jun 30, 2005 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
My first real score was getting the Senn PX-100's for about $30 USD new when Sears was clearing them out (which is a big deal since most stores in Canada sell them for about $60 USD **if** you can even find them). The sound was exactly what the doctor ordered...punchy bassy lively sounding cans that I found enjoyable.

To this day, I still have fond spot in my heart even though I moved up the food chain, just because nothing approaches the bang for the buck ratio and the enjoyment I got for the little money and the satisfaction of getting a good deal on them.

Any other stories to report here?
Any particular headphones you know are flawed but then still get airtime on your head?

Jun 30, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 4
easy... KSC75, amped with a go-vibe is My daily @ work rig. Switch to a PA2 when Im portable. For $15 they simply cant be beat. SUPER comfey too.

socket smack mod the foam and they sound stellar... mini Alessandro.

**edit**
snagged an NOS SR40 on ebay for $40 shipped. Its not a great headphone, but more of a novelty item. Grados failed attempt at the mass volume Circuit City/Best Buy business model.

Garrett

Jun 30, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 4
Thrill of the hunt? When I managed to find my first pair of HP-2's back when they were very very scarce. I bought a pair LOVED them and then 3 weeks later was completely awstruck when I had the opportunity to buy a pair of HP-1's. I sold off the HP-2's and have lived happily with the HP-1's ever since.

However the biggest thrill was finding the very first Melos ever made, coincidently made for Joe Grado when he was testing out his new series of headphones...yep that is right! The HP-1000's! Too cool!

Jun 30, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 4
I had been looking for some time for a rare 6 CD box set called "The Complete Sarah Vaughn on Mercury, Vol. 3" and found it on Amazon not too long ago for $23.81.

Oh, it's not like it can't be found... there are currently 4 other listings on Amazon for this same item: $225, $350, $399 and $499.99.

For the asking price, I figured it was worth a shot, and sure enough it arrived in MINT condition, not even any finger prints on the discs!

So now I've got Vol. 1, 2, and 3, but I'm still searching for that ever elusive Volume 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back