The Thraaaaash Metalllllllll Thread! (thrash metal)
Oct 19, 2008 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 159

ezkcdude

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, I thought it's about time to get this started. So, it would be easy to talk about the big 4 (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax), but I think this thread would be more useful to folks if we focus on lesser known bands. I'll start with a band I've been listening to lately: Demolition Hammer. An anthology of all three LP releases is available on on double-disc CD called "Necrology: A Complete Anthology" for $15.99. Highly recommended if you like raw, fast, aggressive thrash. They have probably been overlooked mainly due to bad timing - their first album wasn't released until 1991 just as thrash was about to be ushered out. Feel free to discuss the old school thrash/crossover as well as the resurgence of the last few years. Please try to keep the conversation civil and constructive. I'm not quite with it in terms of the newer stuff, but some of older bands that immediately come to mind include:

Exodus
Vio-Lence
Coroner
Voivod
Morbid Saint
Dark Angel
Razor
Death Angel
Kreator
Sodom
Destruction
Testament
Exumer
Sadus
Venom
Gwar
Lawnmower Deth
Suicidal Tendencies
Toxik

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 159
Yeah, Demolition Hammer is just sick. Epidemic of Violence is the apex of thrash metal for me. Razor's Shotgun Justice is number two. "Brass Knuckles" is hilariously aggressive. All of the bands you listed are great, good to see another fan of Vio-Lence.

Ever heard Rigor Mortis? Ripping underground-sounding thrash with some great shredding. Recommended to everyone.

As far as crossover thrash goes, D.R.I. outclass most of the others. Dealing With It! leans more towards hardcore than thrash, but there's definitely a big metal influence.

Any recommendations for black-thrash metal? Like Bulldozer, Destroyer 666, etc.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ever heard Rigor Mortis? Ripping underground-sounding thrash with some great shredding. Recommended to everyone.

Yup, that's definitely one I forgot to mention. In fact both Freaks and their s/t are on my Amazon wishlist right now. Along with Artillery and Slaughter (Strappado)!

Quote:

Any recommendations for black-thrash metal? Like Bulldozer, Destroyer 666, etc.

My favorite band along these lines right now are Patecabra from Chile. The band is apparently defunct as of a few weeks ago, but you should definitely check 'em out.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 159
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic Of Violence is best thrash album I have heard, ever. Carnivorous Obsession and Omnivore songs are instant headbangers that I listen several times per day! Ah hell, whole album is one headbangers heaven. Morbid Saints album is close second.

I would like to hear more of similar stuff so badly, raw Thrash ferocity at its purest form which leaves a lot of so-called "br000tal" deathmetal acts gasping their breath.

Its wierd that Time Bomb would be included in the Necrology compilation, cuz it isnt actually considered as a real part of their discography: It is not Demolition Hammer album at all, but one of their sideprojects which recording company refused to release unless it is released under Demolition Hammers name. And it was sucky album anyway.

Oct 19, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #7 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Its wierd that Time Bomb would be included in the Necrology compilation, cuz it isnt actually considered as a real part of their discography: It is not Demolition Hammer album at all, but one of their sideprojects which recording company refused to release unless it is released under Demolition Hammers name. And it was sucky album anyway.

Agreed. I was actually debating whether to rip it at all, but I figured I paid for it, so...
frown.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 159
Here's some great, lesser known Thrash albums:

Anacrusis - Manic Impressions
Allegiance - Destitution
Carnivore - Carnivore (more crossover than anything else but great all the same)
Flotsam & Jetsam - Doomsday For the Deceiver
Tourniquet - Where Moth & Rust Destroy (if you can stomach the overt, preachy Christian lyrics then you'll love the album)
Mercyful Fate - Melissa (not unknown by any means but it hasn't been mentioned yet)
Angel Witch - Angel Witch (Despite the heavy NWOBHM influences this is arguably the first 'Thrash' album and a massive influence on many of the biggest Thrash bands today)

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 159
Good old Sadus. I had a fun little while after Metal Mind did those reissues.

Has anyone here heard Incubus? Not the current rock band obviously, the Louisianna thrash band of the late 80s? Notwithstanding their Christian lyrics, Serpent Temptation was a fantastic album.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 159
Incubus is good.

What about them Germans? Kreator is an amazing band.

Another great thrash band is Sauron, old school and dirty.

Destroyer 666 (I'm putting them here, suck it :p) are another fantastic band.

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What about them Germans? Kreator is an amazing band.

Another great German band that doesn't get as much attention are Exumer. Possessed by Fire is a classic.
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another great German band that doesn't get as much attention are Exumer. Possessed by Fire is a classic.
beerchug.gif

Mem Von Stein that was the vocalist for Exumer on Possessed By Fire is now on a US band called Sun Descends, haven't had the change to listen to them yet.

Another three bands came to mind from many years ago that haven't yet been mentioned and that aren't part of the really known ones: Xentrix, Defiance and Tankard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back