The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Apr 8, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #3,062 of 4,694
  I like the original pleather ones, not the memory foam one. It's waaay more plush.

The original ones are best. I don't feel like spending $50, which is more than I spent on the original headphones, on another potential "upgrade" which might be another dud like the velour pads. What's funny is that the original pleather ones actually hurt my ears after a couple of hours. Not anymore. I've had them on all day long for days on end and other than a little sweat, it's perfectly comfortable.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #3,063 of 4,694

The original ones are best. I don't feel like spending $50, which is more than I spent on the original headphones, on another potential "upgrade" which might be another dud like the velour pads. What's funny is that the original pleather ones actually hurt my ears after a couple of hours. Not anymore. I've had them on all day long for days on end and other than a little sweat, it's perfectly comfortable.

While I disagree, it's all personal preference. And if you enjoy the stock pads than that's good for you!

I bough my pair of HM5 pads (original pleather ones) for $15 ($7.50 each). The comfort and isolation is leagues better than with the original pads. Sound change is very marginal (increase of soundstage but also an increase of bass boominess). For me the upgrade is a no brainer, as the Pro 80 is better than a lot of $200+ cans on the market. YMMV

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #3,064 of 4,694

While I disagree, it's all personal preference. And if you enjoy the stock pads than that's good for you!

I bough my pair of HM5 pads (original pleather ones) for $15 ($7.50 each). The comfort and isolation is leagues better than with the original pads. Sound change is very marginal (increase of soundstage but also an increase of bass boominess). For me the upgrade is a no brainer, as the Pro 80 is better than a lot of $200+ cans on the market. TMMV

That gets me excited.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #3,065 of 4,694

I bough my pair of HM5 pads (original pleather ones) for $15 ($7.50 each). The comfort and isolation is leagues better than with the original pads. Sound change is very marginal (increase of soundstage but also an increase of bass boominess). For me the upgrade is a no brainer, as the Pro 80 is better than a lot of $200+ cans on the market. YMMV

I should have gone with the pleather HM5 ones, but that was my mistake. Oh, and don't get me wrong, these are the best headphones I've ever had! They are an amazing value, I remember even how OP was hard-pressed to find a better alternative for less than $250, so your statement seems rather accurate.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #3,068 of 4,694
Apr 9, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #3,069 of 4,694
Angled pads change the sound slightly more from what I've heard but they are comfy.

Oh nevermind, you aren't in the states. No wonder you didn't like that ebay price. It's free shipping here though, that's why I linked to it.

Delivery is supposed to be Saturday, 04/11/2015

Will keep you informed.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #3,071 of 4,694
  Angled pads change the sound slightly more from what I've heard but they are comfy.

Oh nevermind, you aren't in the states. No wonder you didn't like that ebay price. It's free shipping here though, that's why I linked to it.

Delivery is supposed to be Saturday, 04/11/2015

Will keep you informed.

Haven't tried the angled nvx, but I do have the alpha pads, and I prefer stock over them.

Any increase in imaging performance? Or is the whole angled driver thing a myth?

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #3,072 of 4,694
After looking at the Hyper X cans... I'm assuming they come with better pads than the Gemini's or what?

I will note the design looks like Beyerdynamic with oval, not round pads. Which I actually welcome (Crosses fingers)

I'm shocked to see it has a 53mm driver. THAT is HUGE.

The Beyers DT 770s have a 45mm driver.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3,073 of 4,694
Not so sure if it's the angle of the pads that changes things, so much as because it's angled one part of the pad is deep as hell. The deepness of the pad changes the sound stage so much in a positive way, however being the the driver moves further from your ear, the mids are pulled back a bit as well. And the bass....... sounds like you are in a movie theatre. MASSIVE RUMBLE!!! Thing is that isn't the case (basswise) on all cans. For the takstar the deeper pads actually take bass away, but make the vocals clearer, the sound gets a lot more balanced. Same with the hm5 pads, it just leads to a more balanced sound. Good if you like vocals but not bass.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #3,074 of 4,694
Interesting. 53mm is impressive for headphones. Company's brag about 40mm....let alone 53...yikes. The bass must be incredible.

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #3,075 of 4,694
They were slightly small for me too, so I bent the metal forks a bit so they curve less. That extended their length and now they fit perfect. It takes a bit of force, but that might work for you too.

How did you bend them? Using tools or just your hands? And did you take the headphone apart before?

I'm a bit worried I might break something :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back