The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
Feb 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #316 of 750
I see, seems like there is a large variation of sound that can be had from the same base trp50. that madog line is just about perfect isn't it according to tyll's compensation, other than I recall the dropoff should start a little closer to 2k and not 1k? this might relate to a lack of snap perhaps and why a grado for one example has plenty there (too much in fact)

nevertheless, I'm trying to get up to speed on all these mods and have a hard time figuring out what is proprietary and unknown vs what is open source and known. And the more I look into it, the more it appears that there is no defined set of mods that comprises 'the paradox' ? or if there is that even the slightest alteration either intentional or not changes the sound? Which makes sense to me because i'v found the same thing to be true with grado mods. Is LFF the originator of this mod set and also in posession of measuring equipment? \ Regardless, it sure does seem like the 50 can be made to sound alot nicer than when it's stock.

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #317 of 750
Quote:
I see, seems like there is a large variation of sound that can be had from the same base trp50. that madog line is just about perfect isn't it according to tyll's compensation, other than I recall the dropoff should start a little closer to 2k and not 1k? this might relate to a lack of snap perhaps and why a grado for one example has plenty there (too much in fact)

nevertheless, I'm trying to get up to speed on all these mods and have a hard time figuring out what is proprietary and unknown vs what is open source and known. And the more I look into it, the more it appears that there is no defined set of mods that comprises 'the paradox' ? or if there is that even the slightest alteration either intentional or not changes the sound? Which makes sense to me because i'v found the same thing to be true with grado mods. Is LFF the originator of this mod set and also in posession of measuring equipment? \ Regardless, it sure does seem like the 50 can be made to sound alot nicer than when it's stock.

Paradox and MadDogs are both highly regarded proprietary for-profit mods of the Fostex T50RP. A popular "open source" alternative mod that has been compared favorably to those is the BMF DBV3 mod which has been developed through countless trials and errors by a head-fier called BlueMonkeyFlyer and is documented in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements. All three of these mods were actively developed through discussion and sharing over the past two years in this master T50RP DIY thread that continues to foster new experimentation: http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow

If you'd prefer not to to DIY, the Paradox and MadDogs are both considered excellent values (the Pardox in particular are by all accounts one of the most neutral headphones available this side of the Stax 09). If you want to try modding yourself and/or want to save some $$, try out the BMF DBV3 mod and join those two threads for help and discussion. Either way, you can't go wrong. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #319 of 750
I had a chance to demo the HD800 a few days ago, which in Lisbon is really special - I made a note in my schedule to save the day. So now I'm wondering how does the Paradox compare to the HD800. I realize that comparing an open dynamic with a closed ortho isn't easy, but just a general idea would be great. Are they more or less detailed/fast? Do you lose a lot of soundstage? Any input from someone who had owned or tried both would be appreciated so I have an idea of how the Paradox might sound.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #320 of 750
Originally Posted by LizardKing1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a chance to demo the HD800 a few days ago, which in Lisbon is really special - I made a note in my schedule to save the day. So now I'm wondering how does the Paradox compare to the HD800. I realize that comparing an open dynamic with a closed ortho isn't easy, but just a general idea would be great. Are they more or less detailed/fast? Do you lose a lot of soundstage? Any input from someone who had owned or tried both would be appreciated so I have an idea of how the Paradox might sound.

I own both.. but my Paradox has been on tour (obviously) & I got the HD800 just last week.. so atm, I can't compare them side by side.  Questhate has heard the Paradox (and owns the HD800), so has Purrin.. sure there's a few others that might chime in, too.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #321 of 750
Quote:

Aside from the Paradox being slightly closer to my version of neutrality in tonal balance, and having an even response throughout it's response, the HD800 is more in every way...gross detail retrieval, resolution of spatial cues, comfort, price, staging, etc.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #322 of 750
Quote:
I'm selling my Vader Paradox if anyone's interested.

What are you asking for them (I don't know what these normally go for) and would you ship internationally?

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #324 of 750
Wow. Quick sale. What do Paradox typically go for?

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #326 of 750
Quote:
What are going to replace them with? HD800? Why not keep both? Best of two worlds... :wink:

/The guy that just sold his LCD-3 :wink:

What made you sell your LCD-3? I've actually been looking into one recently (despite already owning an HD800 that I'm happy with 
rolleyes.gif
), but some of the stories I've been hearing about driver issues have kept me at bay...

Either way, I'll get a chance to try them out at a meet-up next week hopefully, along with the Paradox, so maybe I could do a nice comparison with my HD800's then...

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #327 of 750
Quote:
What made you sell your LCD-3? I've actually been looking into one recently (despite already owning an HD800 that I'm happy with 
rolleyes.gif
), but some of the stories I've been hearing about driver issues have kept me at bay...

Either way, I'll get a chance to try them out at a meet-up next week hopefully, along with the Paradox, so maybe I could do a nice comparison with my HD800's then...

LCD-3:
1. They are too expensive for the "added" extra over LCD-2 (this is more about value)
2. They are heavy and easily move if you don't sit still + I can't relax with them on, since they are pushed forward on my face from the padding in my chair.
3. They are open
4. Good bass, but poor soundstage and imaging

Whilst HD800:
1. Very good match with ZDSE
2. Very-very good soundstage and imaging
3. Most comfortable headphones I've worn
4. Also open
5. A bit hot in the treble (easily fixed)

Paradox:
1. Lightweight
2. Easy
3. Neutral presentation (although a bit bassier than HD800)/ No headphone-related artifacts
4. "Closed"

Therefore
1) HD800 + ZDSE = Home rig
2) Paradox + MkIII-B  + CLAS = Portable rig

The LCD-3 didn't have a purpose for me anymore, I have had it and loved it, but our romance is over.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #328 of 750
Quote:
Wow. Quick sale. What do Paradox typically go for?

Usually between $375-525+ depending on finish.

Quote:
What are going to replace them with? HD800? Why not keep both? Best of two worlds... :wink:

/The guy that just sold his LCD-3 :wink:

Not 800s, probably the C4 CIEM.  When I had a problem...

Problem:

I realized I didn't have time to listen to everything, nor did anything have an even enough response, so I downsized to the Paradox.  But since I got a half-decent speaker rig in my room, I've just been using those.  So the Paradox was just sitting there, too big to take to outside, not good enough to displace speakers.  Hence C4s soon enough.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #329 of 750
Quote:

I used to own the HD800s, but don't have them anymore. So I'm going off memory here, but I liked the HD800 a bit more than the Paradox. The HD800 were one of my favorite dynamic headphones. The soundstage those things throw is gigantic compared to the Paradox. I believe they were slightly more detailed as well. It's hard for me to make any more direct comparisons without being off base due to not having heard the HD800 in nearly a year, though. Like most of the high end headphones, I think the HD800 are definitely better, but not two times better than the Paradox, as the price would suggest.

By the way, does anyone know what the headband suspension pad system on the Paradox is made out of? I hadn't had the chance to listen to them for a few days and left them on my maple headphone stand (finished with polyurethane). When I took them off tonight, I found they had left nice black marks on the wood where the raised padded humps in the headband are. The marks don't come off with just rubbing, so I will have to try to find some cleaning compound to get it off. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Also, while these are quite comfortable, has anyone else found the headband suspension system to yield inconsistent placement on your head? Sometimes when I put them on I have to play around with the positioning to get a proper fit, as these things are really sensitive to the pads fitting your face.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #330 of 750
Quote:
By the way, does anyone know what the headband suspension pad system on the Paradox is made out of? I hadn't had the chance to listen to them for a few days and left them on my maple headphone stand (finished with polyurethane). When I took them off tonight, I found they had left nice black marks on the wood where the raised padded humps in the headband are. The marks don't come off with just rubbing, so I will have to try to find some cleaning compound to get it off. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Also, while these are quite comfortable, has anyone else found the headband suspension system to yield inconsistent placement on your head? Sometimes when I put them on I have to play around with the positioning to get a proper fit, as these things are really sensitive to the pads fitting your face.

No idea what it's made out of, best of luck getting those marks off.

I don't really like the suspension system at all.. Well, I like the suspension system in general, but not the way that LFF implements it. I like to make the suspension headband itself quite a bit longer.. just seems to fit my head better that way. I'm also just not a fan of that big chunk o padding. That's prolly because I have thick hair that negates the purpose of the padding though.

You could always take the headband off and just try them without it, if you find yourself needing a bit of padding you could use small towel or something. I have moved to a regular headband mod using a cloth belt between the two screws that hold the headphones together for the same reasons.. It's just tricky to get a consistent fit with the suspension one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back