The T50RP Paradox | reviews, discussion, & mini-tour impressions (index in second post)
Dec 29, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #286 of 750
+1 for the Buffalo III and the PWD2 
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #287 of 750
Quote:
Are you guys boosting the pots on your amps up to unreasonable levels to get these crazy numbers?  16hz? 20hz? 15hz? 5hz?  It just doesn't seem right.

At usual levels on the amp, My Denons only went down to around 25hz before rolloff, the HE-400 around 35hz, an M50 around 30hz.  All this sub-sonic talk is making me think you guys are really boosting up the volume levels just to be able to hear or feel something that low.

nope, I don't touch the volume when testing, just leave it at my normal listening level. I am in a quiet environment though... Just tested the D5000's again, and they do start to somewhat roll off at 25hz but 20hz is still pretty clear, and there is definite rumble down to at least 5hz that I can detect (probably mostly distortion at that point though). The D600's measure similarly but much clearer with less harmonics, and I think the roll off on those begins at around 30hz but it's a lot more gradual.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #289 of 750
One thing about monitoring, one area where the Paradox does concede to a top flight phone is detail retrieval.  For example, there's a song by Cat Power (can't remember which one right now [..damn..]) that has some sort of distortion artifact at one point in the song.  I'm pretty well trained to hear it, because it's one of my favorite songs, and it bothered the hell out of me when I had top flight phones.  It's less apparent on the Paradox.  How do you account for that if you're monitoring?  Typically, are studio monitors or more resolving phones used as an auxilary weapon?   

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #290 of 750
Quote:
One thing about monitoring, one area where the Paradox does concede to a top flight phone is detail retrieval.  For example, there's a song by Cat Power (can't remember which one right now [..damn..]) that has some sort of distortion artifact at one point in the song.  I'm pretty well trained to hear it, because it's one of my favorite songs, and it bothered the hell out of me when I had top flight phones.  It's less apparent on the Paradox.  How do you account for that if you're monitoring?  Typically, are studio monitors or more resolving phones used as an auxilary weapon?   

It might be less apparent but it' still apparent - you're not hearing less of it...just the correct amount. Certain headphones emphasize certain areas of the audio spectrum, making certain things MORE prominent. This is a reason Yamaha NS-10's are so popular. The engineers trained ear and knowledge of the audio spectrum is what comes in handy the most here.

When pinpointing certain distortions, I use my headphones (Paradox), my Fostex 630 (for mid-range), or use a parametric to boost certain bands to double check on headphones. My primary reference is my headphones with the aid of certain audio visualization programs. Once you know what you are doing and what to look for, even faint distortion will stick out like a big fat turd on fresh fallen snow.

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #292 of 750
In my experience the Paradox is very detailed. As I said earlier, it makes everything very apparent, but not in a pronounced in your face kind of way. 

Still tend to listen to them too loud due to being so smooth. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #297 of 750
Quote:
Smooth and 93db SPL loud is probably better than a nasty 20db peak in the treble at 83db SPL. 

True.

How about 3 hours of the first versus 3 minutes of the latter? Not that I personally listen to music at either of those volumes.

With smoothness I was also referring to the lack of ringing, so to speak. Accurate, but effortless and non offensive is how I perceive it. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #298 of 750
First off, I'd like to tip my hat off to FlySweep for giving me the opportunity to audition these headphones! He seems a real stand-up guy.

I had a general question for folks who own/have used the Paradox. Is there a trick to keeping the pads nice and fluffy? I notice that they tend to rest in a position which scrunches up the bottom of the pads when they hang on my stand. This does make a rather significant impact on the sound. When I first put them on, the bass was quite anemic until the pads fluffed up and contoured to my head.

My first impressions weren't so positive, most likely because of the pad issue. But, I am warming up to these more and more as time goes on. Now, I've only listened to them for one night so far, but I am enjoying these right now. Not sure if I like them enough to buy one yet, I'll have to spend some more time with them to decide. Also, I might get some flak for this comment but here goes: It's been a long time since I owned the LCD-2, but from what I remember, I believe I prefer these Paradox headphones over the LCD-2. I wasn't particularly fond of the LCD-2, but I am enjoying these. Keep in mind I haven't heard the LCD-2 for over a year now, so take that with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, I really am amazed at how good someone can make a simple T50RP sound. 'nuff said for now.

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #299 of 750
Thanks for your initial impressions, Stefan.. I meant to include some kind of spacer to keep the pads from curling into each other.. Chris found a really nice little item here that looks like it would work great.  If your stand mainly consist of a headband arch to suspend the headphones, perhaps use an empty toilet paper roll (lodged between the cups) to keep the pads from touching each other.

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #300 of 750
I've recently bought a used pair of Paradox. I haven't had much of a chance to use them because my girlfriend is hogging them every chance she gets. I guess that's a pretty positive comment on the Paradox already, as she's never taken to any of my headphones yet.

First impressions are: these are the most comfortable headphones I've worn yet. The pads are nice, spacious and squishy and the headband work to relieve concentrated points of pressure. In comparison to my LCD-2's, the Paradox win by miles.

I much prefer the cabling system of these. It's much easier to plug in and unplug the cable and it's more out of the way than the LCD-2 cables are. Being a 3.5mm termination on the headphone side also means I can bring out the uber long 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables I have, allowing me to use these headphones at extensive distances if I need to. I don't think I'll need it often but its refreshing to have more options.

Soundwise, they sound similar to LCD-2's, with the only perceptible differences being tighter bass, peakier treble and less distortion present in the LCD-2's.

To give an example of the peaky treble, listening to a 24bit 96khz rip of Bueno Vista's Social Club, one track has maracas in it which the LCD-2's exhibit much louder than the rest of the treble range. Through the Paradox, the maracas sound closer in volume to the rest of the treble range. I much prefer the flatter sound signature of the Paradox as it's less fatiguing but still detailed. The LCD-2's do have a shelved treble section but their peakiness makes them seem at first more detailed but it soon gives way to just hearing fatigue.

Bueno Vista's bass lines make it apparent that LCD-2's still have the best bass my ears have ever heard to date. It's tight, natural and low on distortion. With the Paradox, I get the feeling that I've perceiving more distortion in the low end however I have to emphasize that this is a barely perceptible difference. What is perceptible, though, is the amount of wooliness I'm hearing. This is something I'm familiar with coming from another T50RP mod, the Thunderpants.

That said, the excellently balanced sound signature and the much improved comfort factor win me over. Yes, I would prefer to use the Paradox over the LCD-2's. They made me dance in my living room when I first listened to them through my DX100. I'm currently looking at buying another pair new so i can enjoy them as much as my other half is right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back