the sweat factor and the koss portapros...
Nov 7, 2002 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

minh

New Head-Fier
alright you guys, i have another question to ask you headphone gurus...

if i buy the the koss ksc 35 or porta pros...and i go biking or play some tennis, will i ruin them if i sweat profusely, say, after a couple weeks or so? i'm asking because after i do any of the above, my head ends up drenched in sweat; well..not drenched...but pretty damn sweaty

one more thing, for those of you who have the portapros, will they move around orfall off in active situations? I just can't bring myself to pay 54 bucks for the ksc 35's when the portapros are only 31...yes, i know, shame on me for being so cheap with the venerable ksc 35..

anyways, thanks again-minh

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 11
Even though the Portapros have an adjustable headband, I have a strong feeling that the KSC-35's would stay on much better in active situations. I'm mostly sitting still and don't do hard aerobic exercise while listening to my headphones, so the Portapros were the choice for me - they're very comfy. Otherwise, I probably would've gotten the KSC-35s. It sounds like that's the case for you. They're $23 bucks more, but for tennis and biking...it'd probably be a wiser investment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sweating though...no idea.
frown.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 11
I have my Porta Pro's permanently fixed to the 'light' a.k.a. most comfortable setting, and since these phones are extremely lightweight, they stay very nicely in place during any odd activity I can think of; but then maybe I'm lacking in imagination. However, Tennis/running, etc, no problem. Nope.

Nov 7, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 11
The Koss have a sponge. These WILL absorb sweat.

I know this personally because I sweat alot too. I've tried a host of phones from Sony, etc, in all different configurations (behind the neck, on head, etc) and ALL ultimately get hit with the sweat and WILL ultimately become defective. NO WAY AROUND THIS.
frown.gif

If you can get the Portapros for $31 and it is your cheapest option, I'd get them. Hopefully they'll last you a year. But beware, the absorbed sweat in the ear sponge cools down and it feels like a wet dishrag on your ears. I've gotten sniffles from this, so my advice is to squelch out the sweat periodically (a PAIN to do this all the time when doing aerobics).

Also note that many users have complained that the membrane and parts around the cans wears and tears easily....another reason that they won't last as workout cans.
--------------------------------------------
Another non-amped headphone option is the Sennheiser HD-497 at $43 shipped from Amazon with the $5 rebate. Their padding is non-spongy and over the ear. This should protect the sweat from ultimately getting into the mechanism--depending, of course, on how you wear them and ultimate fit. Sweat is hard to keep away, so maybe wear a bandana.....it'll help with the wear & tear. But these Senns are the definitive choice--better sound, looks & better sweat protection--albeit without folding portability.

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 11
Hmm...

There may be some sort of mod that can be applied to the portapros for workout/sweaty situations... i'm thinking along the lines of some sort of nylons with a plasticky or rubber rim...

lemme give it some thought...

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 11
As a gym "sweater", I can give some perspective. I agree that the pads on phones absorb sweat, but will add you are actually better off with cheaper phones with thinner pads, since they dry out quicker. Initially I used VITE Sony phones (which I paid a whopping $4 for), and I liked the fact the all plastic construction was sweat resistant. Unfortunately, another issue arose - the sweat would run down the phones and into the ear canal, effectively "plugging" my ears and cutting the sound completely. I have since switched to cheap portable Sony headphones. Yes, I understand the sound isn't ideal, but the gym is usually so noisy anyway (and all the phones you've mentioned are open designs), I doubt you are going to reap the benefits of the additional $$ spent.

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by srapps55
I have since switched to cheap portable Sony headphones. Yes, I understand the sound isn't ideal, but the gym is usually so noisy anyway (and all the phones you've mentioned are open designs), I doubt you are going to reap the benefits of the additional $$ spent.

yeah i'll second that. if i exercise or do something active, i just use my cheapy sonys. they get the job done, that's all.

Nov 8, 2002 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 11
I like my 35s and I do sweat alot. The original pads are gone, but thankfully Rat Shak has replacements.
md

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 11
The sweat, for me, has destroyed every headphone (water resistant or not), except the Senn 497 where sweat hasn't been able to get in. The sound is much better than the old cheap headphones I wore at the gym and I no longer get headcolds from the saturated membrane filled with sweat from cans ala Koss, etc.

It's good advice to just use cheap shyte cans when doing workouts as one is distracted anyways, but the sound of the Senns is addictive once you reach that higher plane of better sound, even when doing workouts!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 11
thanks for your responses everyone, but from your responses (some say their headphones have lasted years even with profuse sweating and some of you say that the sweat has destroyed yours and given you headcolds) I must conclude that some of you must have acid sweat
smily_headphones1.gif

i think my final decision is gonna be the porta pros for 31 bucks so that i won't feel quite as bad if my sweat kills them. i hope that coupon deal still works...

Anyways, I really appreciate your suggestions you guys, thanks. -minh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back