The Sub-$100 Portable Amps Shootout – 11(+1) amps compared
Jun 22, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #331 of 399

True, yes, at least technically speaking.

and one more thing ,last one :)
Here are specs of infrasonic

ANALOG OUTPUT
  Output type  Balanced line output 1, 2, 3, 4
  Connector type  1/4" TRS phone jack
  Peak level  +14dBu @ 0dBFS
  Attenuation  -48dB ~ + 0dB (0.5dB step size)
  Impedance  330 Ohm

Not much as you can see.
How do you think, will it work good with Magni? :)))

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #332 of 399
Given none of us can hear infrasonic, it doesn't matter much.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #335 of 399
  ahahaha, funny :)
But i mean specs of Inrasonic Deux :D my other audio interface

biggrin.gif

Anyway, just look into the Infrasonic audio interface and it seems it only offers balanced output. You will have to confirm this with Schiit's tech support, but I think you need a special (and probably DIY) cable as Magni (as well as most headphone amps) is single ended. The kind of cable you need will either have the negative signal feeds into the ground or left floating, depending on how the amp is implemented.

Or you can feed the Infrasonic headphone-out to Magni - which won't be optimum, but much easier.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #336 of 399

biggrin.gif

Anyway, just look into the Infrasonic audio interface and it seems it only offers balanced output. You will have to confirm this with Schiit's tech support, but I think you need a special (and probably DIY) cable as Magni (as well as most headphone amps) is single ended. The kind of cable you need will either have the negative signal feeds into the ground or left floating, depending on how the amp is implemented.

Or you can feed the Infrasonic headphone-out to Magni - which won't be optimum, but much easier.

Well, yeah, they re all balanced. 
Well, m-audio m-track's outputs are balanced too. but they are separate for left and right channels. Is it good to connect m-track output to magni's input via 2TS - 2RCA cables?

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #337 of 399
  Well, yeah, they re all balanced. 
Well, m-audio m-track's outputs are balanced too. but they are separate for left and right channels. Is it good to connect m-track output to magni's input via 2TS - 2RCA cables?

You need something like this:

Balanced (left) -> single ended.

This is assuming both the audio interface as well as Magni can accept negative feeding into ground. You need to confirm this with both companies

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #338 of 399

You need something like this:

Balanced (left) -> single ended.

This is assuming both the audio interface as well as Magni can accept negative feeding into ground. You need to confirm this with both companies

well you mean that i need two different cables for left and right channel?
and what do you mean by single-ended? )))) i am sorry, i am not super good at this. (((

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #339 of 399
  well you mean that i need two different cables for left and right channel?
and what do you mean by single-ended? )))) i am sorry, i am not super good at this. (((

Balanced means the each channel is made up of three separated entities: the positive signal, and its mirror image, the negative signal, plus a ground channel to complete the circuit. Since you have left and right channels, they add up to 6 entities together (though the grounds are shared, so 5 in total actually).

Single ended means the normal way of wiring that you will find on most source, like radio, iPod, etc. It only has a left channel, a right channel, and a shared ground.

Basically that means your audio interface has a different way of outputting signal, and therefore shouldn't be plugged directly into any normal 'single ended' headphone amp without knowing what might happen. If you are lucky, all you need is a custom made cable with the right wiring.

Anyway, just send an email to the manufacturer with this question:
Audio interface: I have model XXX, I want to connect the balanced line-out to a single ended headphone amp. Is it okay to feed the negative signal to the ground or should I leave it floating?
amp: I am interested in model XXX, but I am planning to feed it with an audio interface with balanced line-out, Is it okay to feed the negative signal to the ground or should I leave it floating?

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #340 of 399

Balanced means the each channel is made up of three separated entities: the positive signal, and its mirror image, the negative signal, plus a ground channel to complete the circuit. Since you have left and right channels, they add up to 6 entities together (though the grounds are shared, so 5 in total actually).

Single ended means the normal way of wiring that you will find on most source, like radio, iPod, etc. It only has a left channel, a right channel, and a shared ground.

Basically that means your audio interface has a different way of outputting signal, and therefore shouldn't be plugged directly into any normal 'single ended' headphone amp without knowing what might happen. If you are lucky, all you need is a custom made cable with the right wiring.

Anyway, just send an email to the manufacturer with this question:
Audio interface: I have model XXX, I want to connect the balanced line-out to a single ended headphone amp. Is it okay to feed the negative signal to the ground or should I leave it floating?
amp: I am interested in model XXX, but I am planning to feed it with an audio interface with balanced line-out, Is it okay to feed the negative signal to the ground or should I leave it floating?

and if i will just use 2RCA to 2TS i may blow up something ? :DDD

and i suppose, if i would have audio interface with 2 unbalanced outputs (RCA for example, like on Scarlett 2i4) - it would be ok to just use simple 2RCA-2RCA cables?

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #341 of 399
  and if i will just use 2RCA to 2TS i may blow up something ? :DDD

and i suppose, if i would have audio interface with 2 unbalanced outputs (RCA for example, like on Scarlett 2i4) - it would be ok to just use simple 2RCA-2RCA cables?

Using a 2RCA to 2TS cable is basically the same as shorting (feeding) negative to the ground. If you are lucky then everything should be fine. If you are unlucky, then something can blow up.

Yes, if it is an unbalanced output (= single ended), then you are fine to just use any RCA cable.

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #342 of 399

Using a 2RCA to 2TS cable is basically the same as shorting (feeding) negative to the ground. If you are lucky then everything should be fine. If you are unlucky, then something can blow up.

Yes, if it is an unbalanced output (= single ended), then you are fine to just use any RCA cable.

whoa, schiit's support answered very quickly.
here is what they said
 The TS to RCA cable is the correct one for that setup.

Seems like i am lucky today.

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #343 of 399

And also, a little question about Infrasonic interface.
How do you think, it's balanced outputs, can they be used as left/right outputs, like on m-audio?
in my PC app for infrasonic here is a symbol of linking volumes between 1 and 2 outputs and between 3 and 4 outputs.

You can see a green symbol of two chained circles.
That makes me think that they are actually may function as right and left channel.
Am i right or am i wrong? :DDD
Or is it made for external monitor speakers (which are connected via 2XLR - 1TRS cable) to change volume for different channels of monitors?

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #344 of 399
Don't really know much about Infrasonic software to tell you anything (I am using Forcusrite 2i2 myself), though in most case Output 1 is usually the left channel while Output 2 is right channel. The easiest way is just generate a left / right only sound track or mute one channel to check which is which.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #345 of 399
  Don't really know much about Infrasonic software to tell you anything (I am using Forcusrite 2i2 myself), though in most case Output 1 is usually the left channel while Output 2 is right channel. The easiest way is just generate a left / right only sound track or mute one channel to check which is which.

Big thanks for all your help, man.
I ve connected magni and m-audio and seems like everything is working perfectly.

Now i think about getting new audio interface, but it is another story :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back