The Stealth
Apr 28, 2004 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Kieran Comito

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 14, 2002
Posts
807
Likes
10
So now that it has been out for awhile, what are headfiers impressions of this unit as a preamp? Is it truely worldclass? Can it really compete with other preamps that cost quite a bit more? I am looking for a new preamp and amp for my main stereo system. The Stealth is my list. I am also looking at the McIntosh C 200, and a couple of others. Also, another part of me wants to just wait and see what happens in the audio industry as digital amplification is starting to make some waves threating to make the other stuff obsolete. Thanks.
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 20

Kieran Comito

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 14, 2002
Posts
807
Likes
10
The Twinhead is great preamp, no doubt. However, there is something wrong with it. I need to get it looked at. There is no power. I tried to replace the fuse, but everytime I do, it gets blown. I don't know about ASL products.
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 20

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Joined
Nov 10, 2003
Posts
7,362
Likes
16
There is obviously a short between the + and - inside the amp because this results in a large current draw which blows the fuse...

get a multimeter and try to find the source of this short..

I could be wrong but I think this is probably the cause for your problems...You can get a DIYER to check it out in less time, for free or a moderate fee (usually for free).

Cheers!
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 20

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Posts
1,828
Likes
10
Location
Reno, NV
I probably shouldn't say a word since I've never seen or heard a Stealth. I have however heard an XP-7 and own an HR-2 and I've convinced myself that I eventually must own a Stealth. I love the sound and build quality of Ray's products and if I were to buy any tube pre without an audition it would be a Stealth. I just think they're incredibly sexy.
Besides, Ray offers a return for the cost of shipping only. Why not give it a go?
CPW
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 20

Budrew

Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 14, 2003
Posts
95
Likes
10
The Mcintosh C200 is a world class preamp (see various threads on Audiogon, Audio Asylum and AudioKharma.org) and about 4 times the price of the Stealth. They're both 2 boxes, but the Mcintosh is much bigger. It's hardly a fair comparison if you can afford the Mcintosh (which in this price range or lower also opens up a lot of other options). BTW, the C2200 is much cheaper, is tubed, and is very close to the C200 performance.

Lots of people will say bad things about Mcintosh, but most of these people have never heard it. But for headphone performance the Stealth is most likely better!
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #9 of 20

darkclouds

Particular about his Sméagol Grammar we thinks he is.
Joined
Sep 27, 2001
Posts
1,988
Likes
11
I haven't had that much experience with preamps but I will say that the stealth is doing an excellent job in my system. I had a Melos, and from memory, it's a bit lean compared to the stealth where as the AES preamp I had was too lush (too tubey). Also, my system have changed completely since from preamp to preamp. I rarely listen to headphones anymore since the arrival of the Stealth (which is kinda funny since I was intending it for use with my HD650 moreso than for its preamp duty).
biggrin.gif
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 20

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
Joined
Oct 23, 2001
Posts
4,941
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
I haven't had that much experience with preamps but I will say that the stealth is doing an excellent job in my system. I had a Melos, and from memory, it's a bit lean compared to the stealth where as the AES preamp I had was too lush (too tubey). Also, my system have changed completely since from preamp to preamp. I rarely listen to headphones anymore since the arrival of the Stealth (which is kinda funny since I was intending it for use with my HD650 moreso than for its preamp duty).
biggrin.gif



Want to hear something funny? John-jcb,Todd Green and myself have been having the same problem of rarely using the Stealth for headphones and listening much less to phones since purchasing the Stealth. It's an amazing preamp.
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 20

MoodyDragon

Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Posts
93
Likes
10
Get a used Sonic Frontiers Linestage 2 preamp (tubed). You can find these on Audiogon for less than USD1500/- It is awesome and while I really think that what you like is a personal matter, this amp is definitely more 'true' and musical than most other preamps.

The SF2 also has a headphone output the circuitry of which was licenced from Headphone. It has a non-bypass-able cross feed circuitry.

It is awesome and was a Stereophile Class A product. What more can you ask for?

AS
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 20

rickfri

No longer lurking
Joined
Jul 4, 2001
Posts
204
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Want to hear something funny? John-jcb,Todd Green and myself have been having the same problem of rarely using the Stealth for headphones and listening much less to phones since purchasing the Stealth. It's an amazing preamp.


Me too. I originally bought the Stealth because I wanted a good preamp with a good headphone output for my main speaker system. I just got mine a few weeks ago and it is still burning in, but every time I listen to it the sound gets better. I've only plugged my Senn 600's into it a couple of times, but they sound great to. An excellent preamp. From the replies to this thread, and other threads, it looks like a lot of people are using it mostly for a preamp, with headphones secondary.
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 20

Kieran Comito

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 14, 2002
Posts
807
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budrew
The Mcintosh C200 is a world class preamp (see various threads on Audiogon, Audio Asylum and AudioKharma.org) and about 4 times the price of the Stealth. They're both 2 boxes, but the Mcintosh is much bigger. It's hardly a fair comparison if you can afford the Mcintosh (which in this price range or lower also opens up a lot of other options). BTW, the C2200 is much cheaper, is tubed, and is very close to the C200 performance.

Lots of people will say bad things about Mcintosh, but most of these people have never heard it. But for headphone performance the Stealth is most likely better!



Hi. The McIntosh C200 is not 4 times the price of the Stealth. It is not even two times the price. I guess if you are one of the guys that got in in the beginging, it would be quite a bit cheaper. I don't have a Mac dealer in my city so there is no way I can put one in my system without buying it first. Same thing for the Stealth. I guess I was just wanting to know if people who owned the Stealth thought it's preamp perfomance is above and beyond its price point (2400.00). I know the sound is a matter of personal preference, and that is something I willl have to sort out on my own. Thanks for the input so far guys.
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 20

Kieran Comito

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 14, 2002
Posts
807
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodyDragon
Get a used Sonic Frontiers Linestage 2 preamp (tubed). You can find these on Audiogon for less than USD1500/- It is awesome and while I really think that what you like is a personal matter, this amp is definitely more 'true' and musical than most other preamps.

The SF2 also has a headphone output the circuitry of which was licenced from Headphone. It has a non-bypass-able cross feed circuitry.

It is awesome and was a Stereophile Class A product. What more can you ask for?

AS



I heard this preamp along with a Sonic Frontiers amp not to long ago. The speakers were great big Magnapans. I sounded great, but I'm not keen enough to know if the great sound was because of the Sonic Frontiers preamp. More than likely it was a combo of the whole system. If I would have ask them to switch preamps maybe I could have notice a difference.
 
Apr 28, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 20

tom hankins

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 13, 2003
Posts
5,730
Likes
15
Has any one tried the Singlepower Maestro as a pre-amp? It's a few dollars less than the Stealth.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top