The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #19,771 of 24,807
Hey guys, I had a question about the SRS-2170.

My current set up is the LCD-2 Rev 2 and the HD-600 w/ the Lyr/Bifrost. But I really want to dip my toe into electrostatic cans. Only problem is, they are way too expensive at this point in my life. I was looking at trying the Koss ESP-950 since the price was so reasonable. But then I saw the SRS-2170. Has anyone tried both? Which one is better?

And on that note, given the set up I have now, do you guys think these basic entry level electrostatics are worth it? Or should I just wait a couple years when I have the money to afford the big leagues.

Really appreciate it. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #19,772 of 24,807
Well I know that Jude has been to Japan before.  I am going to Tokyo on a vacation; but wouldn't mind trying to get a factory tour of Stax. I now have a photojournalist press pass; so I thought it would be really cool to start a new project.  My work is not necessarily for Headfi.org solely.  I also write for The Audiophile Club of Athens as well as starting my own website/Webzine- THE EXPLORATION PROJECT.  I am going as a freelancer' but since I am also a member of Headfi, I wouldn't mind sharing my photos and words as well.  It's just not an exclusive for headfi.org

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #19,773 of 24,807
It's interesting how the Lambda Pros simply reject lower-resolution music.

I was watching some YouTube music videos, and even the ones that were "hi-rez" were creating static in the drivers. I had to go back to lossless music to make sure that they were functioning properly, which they are.

Is this common/does this happen with the rest of the Stax lineup?

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #19,774 of 24,807
Quote:
It's interesting how the Lambda Pros simply reject lower-resolution music.
I was watching some YouTube music videos, and even the ones that were "hi-rez" were creating static in the drivers. I had to go back to lossless music to make sure that they were functioning properly, which they are.
Is this common/does this happen with the rest of the Stax lineup?

Even a good dynamic can expose the non-hi-rez nature of youtube. The Stax just makes it blatantly obvious. Much more interesting is the small imperfections that I can hear on some of my old music. I've found quite a few errors that happened when ripping CDs that would have otherwise gone unnoticed. Everything is just laid bare. And this is from the standard bias lambdas.

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #19,775 of 24,807
Yeah it's crazy how good these resolve, the detail is outstanding. I think that I even heard some phlegm in Norah Jones' throat on one of my reference tracks.

But what really surprises me is how musical that these can be, I was worried that they would be overly analytical but that is not the case at all.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #19,776 of 24,807
That's why I always tell people that detailed is NOT analytical.  They're not related.  The Lambda Pros have some emphasis up there in the FR, so hissing/static/that stuff will be a bit emphasized more than they should.  The O2 has a dip in that range and I enjoy listening to music on youtube with it for that very reason. :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #19,777 of 24,807
Quote:
That's why I always tell people that detailed is NOT analytical.  They're not related.  The Lambda Pros have some emphasis up there in the FR, so hissing/static/that stuff will be a bit emphasized more than they should.  The O2 has a dip in that range and I enjoy listening to music on youtube with it for that very reason. :)

True I think. I'd call HD800s analytical, but not Lambda Pros (I owned these back in the 90s). Same goes for Omegas of any vintage.

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #19,778 of 24,807
Quote:

My current set up is the LCD-2 Rev 2 and the HD-600 w/ the Lyr/Bifrost. But I really want to dip my toe into electrostatic cans. Only problem is, they are way too expensive at this point in my life. I was looking at trying the Koss ESP-950 since the price was so reasonable. But then I saw the SRS-2170. Has anyone tried both? Which one is better?

And on that note, given the set up I have now, do you guys think these basic entry level electrostatics are worth it? Or should I just wait a couple years when I have the money to afford the big leagues.

Really appreciate it. 

I have the STAX 2050 (the 2170 predecessor) and the ESP-950.
IMO the STAX is the better of the two. More transparency and very clean highs.
The ESP-950 is more mid-centric but also is a very good headphone.
I always gravitate back to the STAX, but I like treble. Many do not.
You should really listen to them before you make the jump. Stats are not everyman's cup-o-tea.

I am also of the opnion that the current crop of stat-phones blow most dynamics into the weeds,
with the exception of bass impact.
I have heard both of the cans you mention, albeit with different a source & amp.
They take a back seat compared to the stats.
I too aspire to having a higher end STAX rig someday, but I am very, very happy with what I got.
I still keep my Grados and Senns around for when I want a change of pace.
If you can afford it, have both! It's all good.
smile.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #19,779 of 24,807
Quote:

Really appreciate it. 

Honestly, in your position trying to get bang for the buck, I would spend my resources on a pair of Fostex TH900s and keep your amp (not that I've heard them with your amp, but the Fostexes are very impressive with all the good amps I tried
in terms of resolution, a live sound, insight, ambience, space, solid deep bass, organic mids, etc.). If that's too expensive, maybe try ATH-W3000ANVs. 
Both of these are seriously satisfying to me, up there with Stax 009s even and far less costly. IMHO, those 2 are in the big leagues.
Maybe sell off your Senns for some funds to support your upgrade. I also think both of these are "better" (I hate to use that term) than your LCD2s, and you may like
the new one so much you could sell the Audezes.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #19,780 of 24,807
Since you've owned both, which one had a better build? Based on the pictures, kind of looks like the Koss headphones are built sturdier. But the Stax AMP looks nicer. Thanks for replying btw. Really torn on both of these, and don't have a place to try them out.

Quote:
I have the STAX 2050 (the 2170 predecessor) and the ESP-950.
IMO the STAX is the better of the two. More transparency and very clean highs.
The ESP-950 is more mid-centric but also is a very good headphone.
I always gravitate back to the STAX, but I like treble. Many do not.
You should really listen to them before you make the jump. Stats are not everyman's cup-o-tea.

I am also of the opnion that the current crop of stat-phones blow most dynamics into the weeds,
with the exception of bass impact.
I have heard both of the cans you mention, albeit with different a source & amp.
They take a back seat compared to the stats.
I too aspire to having a higher end STAX rig someday, but I am very, very happy with what I got.
I still keep my Grados and Senns around for when I want a change of pace.
If you can afford it, have both! It's all good.
smile.gif

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #19,781 of 24,807
Despite what it may look like, I'm almost certain that the Stax are built much better than the Koss, not that they don't have build quality. The vintage Stax are probably built even better than at least the new lambdas. Treat them well, and they can last next to forever. The lifetime warranty of the Koss makes this a non-issue however.

Oct 23, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #19,782 of 24,807
Okay! I'm probably going to try the SRS-2170. Been wanting to try an electrostatic can for a long time. And for now, it's the most reasonably priced. 
Quote:
Despite what it may look like, I'm almost certain that the Stax are built much better than the Koss, not that they don't have build quality. The vintage Stax are probably built even better than at least the new lambdas. Treat them well, and they can last next to forever. The lifetime warranty of the Koss makes this a non-issue however.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #19,784 of 24,807
Quote:

Oh yeah the Stax are built better than Koss, no doubt about that.  Nicer materials too, than Koss.  Still, Koss EsP-950's  sound very good, and are considerably less expensive. A much different sound from Stax; only Stax sounds like Stax. (And only ESP-950's sound like ESP-950's)  The Stax and the Koss both 'sound electrostatic' but aside from this, they are quite different.   The Koss E-90 is a decent sounding electrostatic amp, even though it is made of plastic and comes "free" with the ESP-950's.  For what you pay for the Koss used, you really can't complain.  Lifetime warranty too.  

It's said some Koss ESP-950's 'squeal.'  I bet this is due to dust inside the driver, something like that. Mine don't squeal, but if they did Koss would fix / replace them for free, so it doesn't really concern me.

I'm lucky enough to have ESP-950's (with Stax cables)  AND a couple pair of Stax. Best of multiple worlds.  I like 'em all. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #19,785 of 24,807
I also had the ESP950s (early 1990s for several years) and liked them, but the newer flagship phones (stats and dynamics) are extremely more satisfying and not even comparable in my book.
However, I did like the Kosses better than HD600s when I had both for the clearer presentation at all frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back