The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #19,651 of 24,807
Quote:
I have a question about my original Lambda SB. On the inner metal-mesh (that touches the ear) of the right earspeaker, there is a hair that has managed to pass through. I'm pretty sure that it is the cause of a small buzzing sound when music gets particularly loud or bassy. I would use a tweezer, but my skinniest one won't work on the very small meshing. How can I remove it without damaging the Lambdas? 

Make a pin sticky.

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #19,653 of 24,807
Quote:

Any idea how I can do that safely? I can prod that hair around, just can't get it out.

I often use glue of some sort to make things sticky. Seriously, look around your house for something somewhat-but-not-too-sticky and hope for the best. If you're careful, absolute worst case scenario is you've wasted 5 minutes.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #19,655 of 24,807
Is there a special Stax (or electrostatic in general) "sound"?
I ask this because there are in other threads this ongoing discussion of whether the top dynamics are worth trading for SR009s.
I feel that they are separate but equal, and it's not fair to compare the 2 technologies and declare stats or dynamics the winner,
because never the twain shall meet. Both types bring their own charms to the table. 
I own 009s and dynamics and can't decide which is better overall.

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #19,656 of 24,807
Not really, no. They're all pretty different or too transparent to have a particular signature. That's how I feel about the 009s anyway.

Quote:
Is there a special Stax (or electrostatic in general) "sound"?
I ask this because there are in other threads this ongoing discussion of whether the top dynamics are worth trading for SR009s.
I feel that they are separate but equal, and it's not fair to compare the 2 technologies and declare stats or dynamics the winner,
because never the twain shall meet. Both types bring their own charms to the table. 
I own 009s and dynamics and can't decide which is better overall.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #19,657 of 24,807
After a few days with the SR-Omega, I'd like to say this is the most confortable headphone I've ever had.

And maybe the best overall.

But I haven't heard the 009 yet though.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #19,658 of 24,807
The SR009 + KGBH combo on ebay has a buy it now price of 5995 now, so i think its a good deal, he is giving way premium tubes as well.

The amp is not the modified KGBH-SE, but the original design.

or you can wait as it also has reserve price of 5495. ( but i dont think it will do you much good, if 2 start bidding at last, it might even go around 6K, and may be not in your favor )

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #19,659 of 24,807
He's practically just giving away the amp and tubes if you consider the new price of an 009 from Jack. 

Sure seems like a bargain to me though I'm not too fond of the looks on this one.

Quote:
The SR009 + KGBH combo on ebay has a buy it now price of 5995 now, so i think its a good deal, he is giving way premium tubes as well.

The amp is not the modified KGBH-SE, but the original design.

or you can wait as it also has reserve price of 5495. ( but i dont think it will do you much good, if 2 start bidding at last, it might even go around 6K, and may be not in your favor )

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #19,661 of 24,807
He is listing this system as what it may be worth....max.
This particular KGBH has had issues in the past with the power supply not supplying the correct voltages.
Dont think the seller is qualified to describe the current state of this amp.
Tubes? Three dont make a matched quad. Buyer beware, or be ready to fix it.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #19,664 of 24,807
It's the same amp but different person selling it.  I was one of the people who bailed.  I wasn't paying attention when I placed the bid and realized which amp it was after I bid. [In a fit of stupidity I thought it was a headamp bh even though a semi blind, one eyed drunk could tell that this was not a headamp product] The seller was very cool.  I told him I thought I was bidding on a different BH, but was willing to go through the transaction because I did place the bid. He cared more amount a happy customer than making the sale and canceled the transaction with "seller purchased in error" and now relisted.

The amp did pass through the guy who was band here and at the other site.  The seller tells me that it has since been turned over to some folks who repaired it.  I was told that The Audio Wizard and another guy did the work.  I have no experience with them so I can't comment on the quality of their work though the seller tells me that they have a excellent reputation in the main line audiophile community. The seller seems like a stand up guy.

--Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back