The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #15,616 of 24,807
Quote:

So what's a fair price on a Lambda Pro system?  Either as a combo with the SRM-1 MK II or as separates.

you can see old but still working and looking OK Lambda pros for as low as $120 (probably a bit more if they've got new pads and driver dust covers or headband... up to 250 if NOS ?), SRM-1/mk2 - ymmv, you can get one for as low as 350 (could be fine, could be both electrically and physically dead-ish? (a few people bought varying degrees of not working and managed to fix them if it was a simple cap change)) , and probably as high as 650 (minty outside, restored/recapped and/or modded). Whether it's worth adding a bit and buying a new system for the higher price range for the two is another question (probably yes?)

May 25, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #15,617 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So what's a fair price on a Lambda Pro system?  Either as a combo with the SRM-1 MK II or as separates.

you can see old but still working and looking OK Lambda pros for as low as $120 (probably a bit more if they've got new pads and driver dust covers or headband... up to 250 if NOS ?), SRM-1/mk2 - ymmv, you can get one for as low as 350 (could be fine, could be both electrically and physically dead-ish? (a few people bought varying degrees of not working and managed to fix them if it was a simple cap change)) , and probably as high as 650 (minty outside, restored/recapped and/or modded). Whether it's worth adding a bit and buying a new system for the higher price range for the two is another question (probably yes?)

A newer Stax?  There's really nothing in the dynamic or planar market within budget that can match what I heard out of the SR-Lambda Pros and I took K3CTs post to mean that none of the newer Stax sound similar to the Pro.

May 25, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #15,618 of 24,807
> I took K3CTs post to mean that none of the newer Stax sound similar to the Pro.

K3CT, You sure you meant to say that :D ?

>There's really nothing in the dynamic or planar market within budget that can match what I heard out of the SR-Lambda Pros

I meant in the sense of adding $4-500 and getting a newer stax driver unit or earspeakers. Unfortunately, I can't comment on LPro vs SRx07

May 25, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #15,619 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:

I don't quite remember but it's around $150 for the headphone only. It's a really old unit though so the condition is pretty dreadful, the inner damping and pads have deteriorated and need to be replaced. I think getting one in tip-top condition is going to be challenging but if you can get one under $200, its price/performance is really hard to beat.

Quote:
Quote:

A newer Stax?  There's really nothing in the dynamic or planar market within budget that can match what I heard out of the SR-Lambda Pros and I took K3CTs post to mean that none of the newer Stax sound similar to the Pro.

Quote:
> I took K3CTs post to mean that none of the newer Stax sound similar to the Pro.

K3CT, You sure you meant to say that
biggrin.gif
?

>There's really nothing in the dynamic or planar market within budget that can match what I heard out of the SR-Lambda Pros

I meant in the sense of adding $4-500 and getting a newer stax driver unit or earspeakers. Unfortunately, I can't comment on LPro vs SRx07

Depends on what we mean by "newer Stax". I haven't heard the newer SRx07 so I can't comment on that but I always feel that the 303, 404 and 404LE all come with their own irritating sonic quirks although they are generally more resolving. For example, the 404LE has the best midrange details compared to the other Lambdas but that upper mid peakiness really gets to you after a while.

May 25, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #15,620 of 24,807

Quote:
You need an energizer that provides Pro bias to drive the headphones such as SRD-7 Pro or Mk2. The electret ones do not provide bias.

Thanks Padam! I´m amazed by the level of knowledge and speed of replies regarding technical issues on this forum!   :)
Looks like I´ll have to bite the bullet and go Woo Wee or SRM 252 / 323 while I save up for the Blue Hawaii....
Anyone know if the 252 will be enjoyable at all with the 507´s?

May 25, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #15,621 of 24,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrostax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Padam! I´m amazed by the level of knowledge and speed of replies regarding technical issues on this forum!   :)
Looks like I´ll have to bite the bullet and go Woo Wee or SRM 252 / 323 while I save up for the Blue Hawaii....

Yes it is likely to be good with the 507's, especially if it's the newer 252S version where they made some tweaks (there was a short comparison here).

May 25, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #15,622 of 24,807

Quote:

I have tried both the 252S and 323S with the 507.

They were enjoyable with both. In fact I've been impressed by the consistency of the sound signature between the new Lambdas (207, 307, 407, 507) and the two amps.

However, if the sound signature is consistent, it does not mean that the higher models aren't worth putting down the extra money.

I really think the 323S is a marked improvement over the 252S. So will you enjoy the 507 out of the 252S ? Definitely. Will you exploit them to a good level ? I don't think so. They have much more "headroom" for sonic improvement as revealed by using them with the 323S.

So in your case, ie "waiting for the BH", then yes I think the 252S is a good choice. 

May 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #15,623 of 24,807
Just remember that waiting for the BH may take a while, so it may not be a bad idea to get something a little better in the meantime.

May 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #15,624 of 24,807
Quote:

K3CT, You sure you meant to say that
biggrin.gif
?

I too haven't heard the X07s.  

Quote:
I don't quite remember but it's around $150 for the headphone only. It's a really old unit though so the condition is pretty dreadful, the inner damping and pads have deteriorated and need to be replaced. I think getting one in tip-top condition is going to be challenging but if you can get one under $200, its price/performance is really hard to beat.

Depends on what we mean by "newer Stax". I haven't heard the newer SRx07 so I can't comment on that but I always feel that the 303, 404 and 404LE all come with their own irritating sonic quirks although they are generally more resolving. For example, the 404LE has the best midrange details compared to the other Lambdas but that upper mid peakiness really gets to you after a while.

By "newer Stax" I meant the current offerings.  $200?  All I've been seeing is $300+.  I guess I'll wait for better prices, I'm in no hurry.  

I have a feeling a tube stage + SRM-1/MK 2 + Lambda Pro will make a really nice system.

May 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #15,625 of 24,807

Quote:

I have a feeling a tube stage + SRM-1/MK 2 + Lambda Pro will make a really nice system.

Then why not try a SRM-T1 and cut out the tube stage? In my experience, if the phone is not too hard to drive, like sigma pro or omega(2) etc., (and lambda's in general arent that hard to drive), the T1 beats the SRM-1/Mk2 by a fair margin.
Unfortunately, I do not owm Lambda Pro's, so I can't comment on that specific combination, but with normal bias lambda's, the difference was quite remarkable.

May 25, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #15,626 of 24,807
First experience with Stax (O2mkII and 007tmkII). Tried three of my DACs. One gave too boomey sound on the 007t, one was to clinical but the Hegel HD10 was the one that came out best.

Haven gotten the opportunity to listen for this Stax combo 3 days (yesterday, today and tomorrow); it has definitively triggered my curiosity for Stax. :) However, the price tag (RRP) in Norway is $6200 (34700 NOK).

Maybe skip the 007tmkII and buy a SRM-323s to a pair of O2mkII. Having read sparse through some Stax information, my impression that the new SRM-3232s is a good match.

May 25, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #15,627 of 24,807
Quote:
Then why not try a SRM-T1 and cut out the tube stage? In my experience, if the phone is not too hard to drive, like sigma pro or omega(2) etc., (and lambda's in general arent that hard to drive), the T1 beats the SRM-1/Mk2 by a fair margin.
Unfortunately, I do not owm Lambda Pro's, so I can't comment on that specific combination, but with normal bias lambda's, the difference was quite remarkable.

That's an option, yes.  

May 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #15,629 of 24,807
I have to left my "newly acquired but not-functioning" SRM-1 MK2 PP for a few days and just checked it again today upon spritzer's guidance.  His hunch on the 2.2M ohm resistors was right one.  Those two resistors providing volt to bias pin were both open.  That brought the total bad resistor count to three now.  I put two temporary replacement resistors with similar value in  and just gave this amp another trial.

The balance/offset voltages are now very close to zero volt.  Good sign.  And after some minor calibration, the amp has been stable for more than 40 minutes now.  The volume level is much better now and I only need to use knob at 7~8 o'clock with balanced input.  And NO distortion!

Since I moved my Phoenix + Beyer T1 back elsewhere, so there is no direct comparison.  However, I can tell the focusing of this 407 + SRM-1 combo is much improved and the bass is tighter than it was before (but at this moment still less solid and more diffusive comparing to T1).  The amount of bass is more than T1, which makes it SQ much warmer than T1.

More listening to come...
beyersmile.png

May 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #15,630 of 24,807

Quote:
I have to left my "newly acquired but not-functioning" SRM-1 MK2 PP for a few days and just checked it again today upon spritzer's guidance.  His hunch on the 2.2M ohm resistors was right one.  Those two resistors providing volt to bias pin were both open.  That brought the total bad resistor count to three now.  I put two temporary replacement resistors with similar value in  and just gave this amp another trial.

The balance/offset voltages are now very close to zero volt.  Good sign.  And after some minor calibration, the amp has been stable for more than 40 minutes now.  The volume level is much better now and I only need to use knob at 7~8 o'clock with balanced input.  And NO distortion!

Congrats for achieving that!
Still have to find the time to modify mine for balanced and upgrade some of the other parts.
BTW: I fitted mine with one normal bias socket so I can use normal and pro bias phones...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back