The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #12,856 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a taste of a real soundstage last wednesday at the McCallum Theater in Palm Desert with Kiri Te Kanawa and Frederica von Stade.
It is a small theater with nice acoustics and an "intimate atmosphere".
I immediate listened to Kiri's CD's when I got back home with my Sigma Pro/eXStata. Of course is not the same, but the sound coming from my Sigma ain't to bad when compared with the real thing!
biggrin.gif

How did I miss this concert?

There's nothing like a good live concert to compare your phones with and the Sigma's are especially good at re-creating a vocal concert ambience.

Not all halls sound great and not all hall locations sound great. One of my recent discoveries was that the upper balcony in the Dorothy Chandler in LA sounds better than most other locations in that hall. Evidently the reflection from the ceiling helps. The ticket lady for the LA Opera told me I was wasting my money on the founders circle/loge tickets, so I took her up on it and saved a bundle. Just bring some small binoculars.

BTW for anyone in SoCal, I have one such an upper balcony second row ticket to the April 11 matinee of Gotterdamerung for sale on Ebay due to a clash of family events.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #12,858 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a list of Stax dealers in CA and WA state? Thanks.

There is no list that I am aware of but pretty much your only bet for that area is Fred Kat of Katli Audio in California. I doubt he will have parts but it is worth a try.

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #12,859 of 24,807
hello,
my lambda driver is faulty and I'm going to replace it, any idea what kind of glue suitable for the purpose? I'm thinking of epoxy, is it good enough?
also can I use speaker cloth as a replacement for the inside foam?
and what glue is suitable to bond the earpad to the metal driver housing?
any helpful advice is very appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #12,860 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello,
my lambda driver is faulty and I'm going to replace it, any idea what kind of glue suitable for the purpose? I'm thinking of epoxy, is it good enough?
also can I use speaker cloth as a replacement for the inside foam?
and what glue is suitable to bond the earpad to the metal driver housing?
any helpful advice is very appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

I read something about using waterbased glues in the service notes for a K1000. All other seem to have "to agresive solvents".

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #12,861 of 24,807
From memory, the Lambda drivers themselves are held together with polyurethane glue. So that is Excel or Gorilla glue.

But I think that the drivers are held to the baffle with a thin double-sided tape style glue. The drivers should come with a sheet of this stuff.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #12,862 of 24,807
Wait for Birgir to comment on this - he did some gluing of the drivers to the baffle IIRC. Alternatively, Stax in Indonesia may be able to sell you the double sided tape that they use. Buy some new ear pads (the 202 ear pads from Audiocubes will fit perfectly, and come with mesh also) and use them. The old ones tear off. Gently clean off any adhesive residue and stick the new pads on (they have adhesive also) - making sure of the correct orientation of the pads.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #12,863 of 24,807
The drivers are indeed secured to the baffle with double sided tape and in the latest drivers it is also used to secure the protection grill to the drivers. I've experimented with securing both in place with polyurethane glue and it was a bit more controlled but it is far from easy to do.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #12,865 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone with direct experience comment on compatibility of 4070 with KGSS? eg, amp has sufficient power to drive? Any other issues mating this headphone with this specific amp? thanks for any input.

I had a 4070 with the KGSS (that you now have
wink.gif
). Sounds very good indeed but in the end I greatly preferred sound signature of the O2. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't bother with the 4070 since you already have a SR-404LTD. In some ways the 4070 is overpriced (especially since it doesn't really offer much isolation).

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #12,866 of 24,807
thanks for the replies,
ordering stax supply is not an option right now,
so I went to nearby store yesterday but couldn't find polyurethane glue and I saw that super glue is very cheap, can I use that?

the replacement drivers are not new but still have the metal grill anyway, so I will be glueing the metal grill to the baffle and not the driver to the grill, I think it won't be very hard isn't it? and I will blu tack it first to test the driver prior glueing

side question, the thin plastic below the metal grill, is that the diaphgram or just a dust cover? or the diaphgram is the yellow shiny perforated metal?

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #12,868 of 24,807
no love for epoxy then? I really want to try it as it is called iron glue here lol
I've never seen adhesive sheets other than for paper but I will search though,

so the driver is stator - membrane - stator? I always though it was the other way around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back