The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #12,736 of 24,807
Have you ever tried the v dac? Is it good enough? Considering my budget is around $300 for the dac, im guessing that the vdac is the best i can get but if there are better options perhaps i might spring for them.

Im also thinking about going vinyl as an alternative...that should be suitable right?

And the LNS for $220!? Theres one on there for 73000 JPY paired with a T1! Man thats a super price...I dont think it'll come around again anytime soon
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #12,737 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by almuzzi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah yea i loved the midrange mostly, was listening to a violin solo so i didnt really notice the recessed treble. I actually love my etymotics er4b, so something bright, with less but deeper bass would be very very welcome!

You should like the Lambdas then
wink.gif
I have the PFEs which have the same signature as the ER4 with the grey filters, Lambdas have the same kind of signature. I find it funny this ability that the SR-003 have to be very analytical and to sound much darker than these IEMs at the same time, it's really something special.
As for the Lambda Pro from what i've read it has a relaxed midrange but a very pronounced treble just like the original Signature... so i don't know, some people like it, some don't
confused_face.gif

The 202 is supposed to be close to Novas.

The LNS/T1 seems like a nice combo, at least in Europe!

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #12,738 of 24,807
Yeah the first thing that hit me (in the ears) when i tried the SR001 was the detail retrieval. Now the etys are supposed to be the most detailed IEMS out there, and they are, at least amongst the non-custom, BA IEMs. But the stax were something else.

The midrange detail was awesome, timbre and soft dynamic changes were conveyed so well. I could hear the violinist rest his bow on the strings before the note, and decay was also so beautiful (concert hall reverb as well!). So i told myself, damn i gotta get me one of these. So now here i am. I'll try to get myself a pair of lamba pros then, thanks for the advice!

Also, i need to decide on my source. Sigh working on such a limited budget sucks. My parents would kill me if they knew the amount im spending (out of my own wages)

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #12,739 of 24,807
Yep i can't agree more about detail and midrange, the baby stax is quite fantastic for that.
I don't have any experience with DACs but if your budget is really tight i'll just say that i get really good results with my s:flo 2, it has two wolfson chips (the same as the Cambridge DAC Magic for instance) and a powerful dedicated line out (which has as much juice as my entry level CDP). I really don't know how it compares with a DAC but all i can say is that there's not doubt my Lambda already sounds quite better than the 003 out of this very cheap rig
redface.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #12,741 of 24,807
Seem like KuboTen is down at the moment
frown.gif
. I'll try looking for some lambda pros, and SR-2020, hope ill get one of those two at $300 or below. Oh and i have a chance to get a Thorens TD166 MkII at around $200, is that a good deal? Or should i spring for a V-DAC first and get the vinyl setup later?

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #12,742 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by almuzzi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever tried the v dac? Is it good enough? Considering my budget is around $300 for the dac, im guessing that the vdac is the best i can get but if there are better options perhaps i might spring for them.

Im also thinking about going vinyl as an alternative...that should be suitable right?

frown.gif

For about that price you can get a used Musical Fidelity X-DAC v3, which should be better than a VDAC. The you can get an XPSU or Little Pinky separate power suppy for them. I have both, each running an XDACv3 and they seem about the same although the Pinky is generally cheaper. But they both move the XDAC up a couple of notches in performance, especially in bass and dynamics.

You will see a recent discussion here about vinyl through headphones. I lived through the end of the vinyl period, am used to it and still have about 800 lp's. Vinly can be very good, especially with rock/pop music. Its limitations are more evident on classical, where the medium struggles to deal with the wider dynamics of classical music. In quiet passages you will hear surface noise and extremely loud passages will often mistrack or sound like mistarcking because the lp groove has been damaged.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #12,745 of 24,807
The current bid is still considerably lower than what Spitzer asked for his. But then again, his was modified.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #12,746 of 24,807
It wasn't modified, I just replaced the PSU caps due to age which should be done to all Stax amps if they are 15+ years old. Having watched all Y!JP T2 auctions over the last few years or so I can safely say that all hell will break loose during the last half an hour.
smily_headphones1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back