The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #12,541 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am finding that my pair is improving with time. I asked if they require burn-in like good dynamics, and the consensus was they didn't, but I do notice an improvement as time goes on.

In an e-mail related to some problems that I've experienced with my staxes, a man from Stax USA mentioned that my omegas need about 500+ hours of burn-in...
Most of stax users here claim that they don't feel any difference after burn-in but I think there is. I don't know if it's the headphones or the amp but there is a certain change.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #12,542 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed!
I owned a black SRM-007t for 2 1/2 year, and sold it through Head-Fi a year ago.

Looks great! Thanks for the quick reply and pictures. I assume a black 006t was also an option then.
Black Stax looks awesome. The sharp corners and rectangular buttons of older Stax kit look so cool and way better than the current rounded stuff, don't you think?

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #12,543 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In an e-mail related to some problems that I've experienced with my staxes, a man from Stax USA mentioned that my omegas need about 500+ hours of burn-in...
Most of stax users here claim that they don't feel any difference after burn-in but I think there is. I don't know if it's the headphones or the amp but there is a certain change.

Based on burn-in experiences with my SR-001 and SR-404LE, I would have to say that I agree with this. It is more significant than many would leave you to believe. I need to go on a burn-in fest to find the real answer.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #12,544 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received them on Sept 28 2009, so technically they are slightly less than 4 months old. I put about 70-72 hours on them before RMAF.

What are the differences between the 100 hour pair and the zero hour pair? (still working on how to pay to buy mine back).

I stand correct on how many hours are on the original 404LE pair so this makes even more sense as I would call 100 hours the minimum threshold for burning something in before use.

On my system with the modded and well burned in 717, the difference is considerable in ALL musically significant areas. On a scale of 1-10 where the burned in 404LE is a solid 9 (I really like them), the fresh pair is a rather lackluster 3. Granted that they are fresh out of the box with truly no use at all.

I will start the burn-in today and I bet they improve dramatically in the first few hours as they settle in after shipping (this doesn't seem to help the sound of stats much).

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #12,545 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do know that a black version of the SRM-717 exists

I was pretty sure this existed but had never heard reference to or seen one. Now I have to have one!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #12,546 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was pretty sure this existed but had never heard reference to or seen one. Now I have to have one!
evil_smiley.gif

I've seen at least one in pictures for sale, the exist and look pretty great. They seem harder to find then the SR-007BK.

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #12,548 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Certainly my 007A's sounded poor out of the box, but they seemed to settle in within about 1/2 hour. I can't be sure about later burn in because I experimented with various mods during this time.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #12,551 of 24,807
What is the impedance like with the SR-Lambda+SRD/7? Getting a Mini3 to hold me off until I can afford a better amp. (And I can also use a portable amp to use with other headphones...) The gain options are 1, 3, 5, 8, with 5 being ideal for HD650/HD800.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #12,552 of 24,807
You need an amp with speaker outputs if you are to use a transformer such as the SRD7...I haven't heard of a mini3 with speaker outs, but if they do exist ignore me.

500 posts, a milestone in my audio career!
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #12,554 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense to anyone intended but are folks seriously suggesting that electrostatic headphones burn in? You guys did go to school and learned about physics, right?

This is HF, reality has no place here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need an amp with speaker outputs if you are to use a transformer such as the SRD7...I haven't heard of a mini3 with speaker outs, but if they do exist ignore me.

500 posts, a milestone in my audio career!
tongue.gif

You are right, a speaker amp is needed that outputs some watts into 8 ohm. If you are using a B22 or M3 as a portable amp then that would work but a mini3 will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back