The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #376 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to try some slight EQ on the 4070s - I've been loving them the past few weeks, however on many recordings that are particularly bright, or "bass challenged", the 4070s can shout at you, often suffering from "snare snap" or a lack of warmth which is in stark contrast to the warm and smooth, yet crisp renderings of well recorded material.

I'm usually reticent to use EQ in the midrange, as I figure I'll do more harm than good, but I gave it a shot with some very mild EQ and have gotten very good results. I dropped 1.5 dB at 4k and 8k, and added just over 2dB at 64hz and 1.5 at 125hz.

This calms things down for excessively bright recordings, eliminating snare snap, and filling out the bottom end, and doesn't seem to have any deleterious effects on well recorded material. The bass is so clean and controlled on these that boosting it like this doesn't cause any boom, just more warm clean tight bottom end.

For Classical I don't bother with the EQ, but for most everything else I'm listening to, the EQ is working really well.

These are turning into my favorite headphones, even supplanting my K1000s of late (which I absolutely love to pieces). I've never heard anything so detailed and rich/sweet in the midrange, and with such clean capable bass. (Although I have only heard the HE90s a few times in limited fashion, and no real experience with the Omegas - so I can't compare to those heavyweights).

I sure hope this is the Stax thread and not the K1000 thread.

I usually EQ mine, too. A little bit goes a long way.

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #377 of 24,807
@Downrange. Congratulations!
The ECD1 sure are an excellent DAC, and a good match for the Omega II system. Expect further improvements when running balanced.

Enjoy!
lambda.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #378 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these interconnects, power cables or what? Also what speaker/amp combination are you comparing them too?

I'm not sure if this is related, but on the topic of silver, I have recently been using Silclear, a silver based contact enhancer

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...s/silclear.php

on my equipment and I find it does great things especially to the sound of Lambdas (I have the Nova and 404). It greatly improves dynamics overall and dynamic detail, i.e. small variations in loudness, eg. a tremolo sound from an instrument becomes much more noticeable. However, of most relevance here, it gets rid of a lot of Lambda harshness and seems to bring put more mid bass, which these designs seem to need.

I have been listening primarily to my recently modded Sigma/404 phones, but I am now finding the 404 and Nova to be a lot more interesting now. The Silclear helps the Sigma pro and Sigma/404 a bit but it really changes the character of the Lambdas for the better.

Sorry for being so vague. Those are RCA interconnects going between the "M-Audiophile" phono outs into a SRM-006tMk1 and then to the SR-404.

I'm comparing to the speaker system at home: Esoteric X-03SE -> Chord CPA 3200E Preamp -> Chord SPM 1200E Amp -> Focal JMLab Diva Utopia Be

The timbre accuracy is surprisingly (and uncomfortably) close to that of the stereo system. The transparency and purity of sound is also not far off. I'm relying on my memory because my Stax are in Scotland whereas the speakers are in Hong Kong. I am using tracks that I've spent literally days listening to so I'm very familiar with how they sound on different systems.

I didn't know interconnects were such a big factor. I'm a bit reluctant to spend more on power cables (currently using a basic Russ Andrews PowerMax), but my curiosity remains.

I'll give the contact cleaners a try. They look pretty interesting and easy to use.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #379 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to try some slight EQ on the 4070s - I've been loving them the past few weeks, however on many recordings that are particularly bright, or "bass challenged", the 4070s can shout at you, often suffering from "snare snap" or a lack of warmth which is in stark contrast to the warm and smooth, yet crisp renderings of well recorded material.

I'm usually reticent to use EQ in the midrange, as I figure I'll do more harm than good, but I gave it a shot with some very mild EQ and have gotten very good results. I dropped 1.5 dB at 4k and 8k, and added just over 2dB at 64hz and 1.5 at 125hz.

This calms things down for excessively bright recordings, eliminating snare snap, and filling out the bottom end, and doesn't seem to have any deleterious effects on well recorded material. The bass is so clean and controlled on these that boosting it like this doesn't cause any boom, just more warm clean tight bottom end.

For Classical I don't bother with the EQ, but for most everything else I'm listening to, the EQ is working really well.

These are turning into my favorite headphones, even supplanting my K1000s of late (which I absolutely love to pieces). I've never heard anything so detailed and rich/sweet in the midrange, and with such clean capable bass. (Although I have only heard the HE90s a few times in limited fashion, and no real experience with the Omegas - so I can't compare to those heavyweights).

I sure hope this is the Stax thread and not the K1000 thread.

You should try a better amp with them. Some of those issues you are having are the amps fault.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They've managed to completely blow me away again in the 30 minutes I've had them back on my head. I had been missing them but didn't expect the first listening session I had them back would be quite so extreme. If there's ever a headphone I'll never sell it's these.
o2smile.gif

I'm also impressed at all the information coming forward in regard to people trying new amps with their electrostatics. Certainly given me a lot to look at. I hope others are getting something out of it too. It'll be interesting to see how all these other amps people are trying work out.

They are mind blowing. I did a short comparison yesterday between the Lambda Signature, He90 and the SR-007 on the SRM-T1 and the O2's are miles ahead. The others sound forced and strained while the O2's bing you all the detail, bass and midrange glory you can handle with much better micro and macro dynamics from an amp that can't drive them properly. I will never sell mine and I'm even considering a second set...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for being so vague. Those are RCA interconnects going between the "M-Audiophile" phono outs into a SRM-006tMk1 and then to the SR-404.

I'm comparing to the speaker system at home: Esoteric X-03SE -> Chord CPA 3200E Preamp -> Chord SPM 1200E Amp -> Focal JMLab Diva Utopia Be

The timbre accuracy is surprisingly (and uncomfortably) close to that of the stereo system. The transparency and purity of sound is also not far off.

I didn't know interconnects were such a big factor. I'm a bit reluctant to spend more on power cables (currently using a basic Russ Andrews PowerMax), but my curiosity remains.

I'll give the contact cleaners a try. They look pretty interesting and easy to use.

The budget Russ Andrews cables are quite good and I would spend more on the source rather then upgrade them. Be aware that higher price isn't always a great indicator if cables are better or not. For some companies it's all about ripping off the customer.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #380 of 24,807
spritzer - Did you find that the O2 blows the HE90 away, and that the HE90 sounded forced and strained? That's really strange. Perhaps there's something wrong with the amp, or with the HE90.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #381 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spritzer - Did you find that the O2 blows the HE90 away, and that the HE90 sounded forced and strained? That's really strange. Perhaps there's something wrong with the amp, or with the HE90.

The He90 sound forced in the top end. Some think this makes them more detailed but they are skipping over huge amounts of information and this on a normal recording, not some audiophile stuff. My He90's might be broken but I'm beginning to doubt it more and more. I have been working on some ESL designs myself and I think that this is a design issue. They are meant to sound like an audiophile speaker while the SR-007 is based on 40 years of trial and error to make the cleanest transducer possible. This is also apparent in the HD6x0 line of headphones and they do not sound like this by accident. They designed the He90 on the edge when it comes to D/S spacing, stator material and there might be some other design issues we don't know about.

The amp is working as it should and while the T1 isn't the smoothest amp around after my mods, it is a very synergistic match to the He90. In the end it is all about preference and I do not subscribe to the usual audiophile nonsense so I may have very different views about the ideal sound

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #382 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do most definitely have a grounding issue. The signal ground might be connected to the case somewhere causing a ground loop. Open both the amp and the phones up and take pics and the we can if anything is obviously wrong.

The grounding post is there because in Japan there isn't a ground in the power system so it has to be separate. If something should happen to the amp or the phones it is sure nice to have some other pathway for the electricity then through the user...
icon10.gif

hi spritzer! i think i managed to fix it, most definitely a grounding issue as i made room for it in my rack and wired everything up correctly (my room's a mess with all this gear) and viola! no noise

i did take pictures of the unit anyway, but for now the beauty runs beautifully quiet =D

pictures of the innards here: http://www.a-chau.net/gallery2/v/mambo-articles/stax/

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #383 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi spritzer! i think i managed to fix it, most definitely a grounding issue as i made room for it in my rack and wired everything up correctly (my room's a mess with all this gear) and viola! no noise

i did take pictures of the unit anyway, but for now the beauty runs beautifully quiet =D

pictures of the innards here: http://www.a-chau.net/gallery2/v/mambo-articles/stax/

That's great to hear. Looking at the pictures the amp has not been tampered with and is in very good condition.

Mar 2, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #384 of 24,807
I realize you have much more experience with electrostatic headphones in general and a great knowledge of Stax 'phones on top of that overall knowledge. However, even with the maxxed out Blue Hawaii (which IMO is the best amp mate for the OII – other than possibly the fabled SRM-T2, which I’ve never heard) the HE90 outperformed the Omega II in many areas (both the HE90 and OII were driven from the BH), included soundstage (a vertical presentation in addition to a horizontal one, which is something the K1000 cannot even achieve) and a detailed yet smooth sound that the SR-007 lacks IMO. I have NEVER found the Omega II to be more revealing or resolving than the HE90. I have heard many pairs of HE90s and most sound identical in character, but there are subtle differences with age (Mikhail's OOOLD pair has issues, as well as some of the new "18" HE90s). I hope you have an opportunity to hear another HE90 because I have a hard time empathizing with your views regarding the HE90s capabilities (although I completely respect Stax's history with electrostats as well as personal preferences regarding headphone presentation – the OII is an amazing headphone and I can completely understand why one individual may prefer it the HE90, but the HE90 is not “miles behind” the Omega II in any regard, regardless of amp, IMO).

Mar 2, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #386 of 24,807
Am thinking of using a power amp with the SRD-7/MKII. don't have much knowledge about what is better but am thinking of either a Bel Canto S300 (SS?) or a Rouge Audio Atlas (tube). Anyone got any better suggestions? My budget only allows for <$1300 and these two fit right in near the max.

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #387 of 24,807
At this level the system as a whole comes into play. Was the Blue Hawaii you heard tube rolled and what cables were in the system? The SR-007 needs the clearest sonic window possible to shine so any new production tubes or "musical" cables will drag them down. This is something you can only know by owning any piece of gear for an extended period of time. The He90 has a huge wow factor and quite a bit is tied to the price and prestige. It's my experience that any piece of gear that instantly wows you will disappoint in the long term. I loved the He90 for the first two weeks I had them and I told my friends that these were the ultimate headphones and I was done. When the honeymoon period had worn off I started to feel that something was missing in tracks I've listened to a thousand times.

The simple fact is you can't pick up the SR-007 and they will sound any where near their best. It is a product that you have to customize to your needs and it will grow on you. They continue to amaze me even after owning them for 3.5 years. One problem is with the earpads. About 6 months ago I stared to think that they were broken because they started to sound odd. I had an extra set of earpads and put them on and they were returned to their former glory.

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #388 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am thinking of using a power amp with the SRD-7/MKII. don't have much knowledge about what is better but am thinking of either a Bel Canto S300 (SS?) or a Rouge Audio Atlas (tube). Anyone got any better suggestions? My budget only allows for <$1300 and these two fit right in near the max.

The Pass Labs amp have some serious synergy with STAX phones in general.
You could maybe look into those as well.

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #389 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pass Labs amp have some serious synergy with STAX phones in general.
You could maybe look into those as well.

But they are way over my budget. Thought about them before as they would also do nicely with my K1000s. But..... $$$$

Mar 2, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #390 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But they are way over my budget. Thought about them before as they would also do nicely with my K1000s. But..... $$$$

Aleph 3s can be found for less than $1000 easily. There is also the option to have a DIYer build you one . If interested I can give you some info via PM as to who could build you one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back