The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #12,556 of 24,807

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
34,761
Likes
76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks great! Thanks for the quick reply and pictures. I assume a black 006t was also an option then.


I certainly believe so.
And this once looks like one -> http://www.on-off-hifi.de/bilder/shop/KHR00247.jpg

Quote:

Black Stax looks awesome. The sharp corners and rectangular buttons of older Stax kit look so cool and way better than the current rounded stuff, don't you think?


Agree! I prefer the looks of the SRM-006t and SRM-007t over the newer MK2 and A models.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #12,557 of 24,807

bralk

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 24, 2006
Posts
139
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is HF, reality has no place here....


beyersmile.png


you can say that again..

cheers

Tom
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #12,558 of 24,807

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Posts
17,429
Likes
797
So, how do you explain Dinan's observation that my old 100 hour SR-404LE sound different/better from the brand new pair that he just received? Doesn't the tension of the Mylar change slightly over the first few days of use, which could affect the sound?

I was pretty sure the excessive mids of my O2 Mk2 improved a little over the first 100-200 hours, but not much else changed. And during that time I wasn't listening every day and simply getting used to the sound; and I used comparisons to my HE60 as a baseline of how far forward the mids were in relation, and the gap narrowed over time. However, it was still bad enough to need to do the ear pad spring mod after that, which further helped and made them enjoyable.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #12,559 of 24,807

les_garten

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 6, 2008
Posts
4,445
Likes
27
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, how do you explain Dinan's observation that my old 100 hour SR-404LE sound different/better from the brand new pair that he just received? Doesn't the tension of the Mylar change slightly over the first few days of use, which could affect the sound?

I was pretty sure the excessive mids of my O2 Mk2 improved a little over the first 100-200 hours, but not much else changed. And during that time I wasn't listening every day and simply getting used to the sound; and I used comparisons to my HE60 as a baseline of how far forward the mids were in relation, and the gap narrowed over time. However, it was still bad enough to need to do the ear pad spring mod after that, which further helped and made them enjoyable.




Manufacturing variance?
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #12,560 of 24,807

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Posts
8,010
Likes
135
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, how do you explain Dinan's observation that my old 100 hour SR-404LE sound different/better from the brand new pair that he just received? Doesn't the tension of the Mylar change slightly over the first few days of use, which could affect the sound?


There are any number of possible explanations based on your n of 1 experience, of which so-called burn-in is only one. Manufacturing variance, as noted above, confirmation bias, human error, etc. could be at work.

EDIT: And this thread used to be one of the last places on this site relatively free of this debate. I encourage people to not let it devolve as have so many other threads.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #12,561 of 24,807

brat

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Posts
954
Likes
28
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are any number of possible explanations based on your n of 1 experience, of which so-called burn-in is only one. Manufacturing variance, as noted above, confirmation bias, human error, etc. could be at work.

EDIT: And this thread used to be one of the last places on this site relatively free of this debate. I encourage people to not let it devolve as have so many other threads.



So we must suppress facts just to keep the thread clean of something that some people don't believe in?
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #12,563 of 24,807

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Posts
8,010
Likes
135
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So we must suppress facts just to keep the thread clean of something that some people don't believe in?


What facts? I see lots and lots of opinions and conclusory statements. But no facts. And les is absolutely right; there's a thread for it anyway. Not every thread at Head-Fi needs to include discussions about the "need" to burn in a headphone for anywhere from 50-10,000 hours. Enough is enough.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #12,564 of 24,807

brat

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Posts
954
Likes
28
Electrostats burn-in (if exists) must be a detached thread in the high end forum because everything concerning electrostatic headphones is posted here.
Even threads about replacing pads of electrostatic headphones.
biggrin.gif
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #12,565 of 24,807

Dinan

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Posts
424
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, how do you explain Dinan's observation that my old 100 hour SR-404LE sound different/better from the brand new pair that he just received? Doesn't the tension of the Mylar change slightly over the first few days of use, which could affect the sound?


After running in for a day and a half now, the sonics differences between the "old" and new pair are closing rapidly.

Even if you can argue that there is burn-in differences in the transducers (I don't buy that but some do), the break-in of the cable alone should be significant ESPECIALLY as it is silver if my memory hasn't failed me.

My guess is that when the new pair has 75-100 hours, they will sound the same.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #12,566 of 24,807

brat

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Posts
954
Likes
28
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What facts? I see lots and lots of opinions and conclusory statements. But no facts.


Please, give me the list of facts that is allowed to be discussed in this thread!
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #12,567 of 24,807

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Posts
8,010
Likes
135
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrostats burn-in (if exists) must be a detached thread in the high end forum because everything concerning electrostatic headphones is posted here.
Even threads about replacing pads of electrostatic headphones.
biggrin.gif



Not so. This just happens to be the main Stax thread. There are other threads re 'stats elsewhere. And, in my humble opinion, the debate about burn-in has been sufficiently beaten to death--regardless of dynamic or stat--that it does not warrant additional debate in this otherwise extremely informative thread.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #12,568 of 24,807

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Posts
8,010
Likes
135
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please, give me the list of facts that is allowed to be discussed in this thread!


Huh? Facts are facts. What appears to confuse you is the difference between fact and opinion. You are not alone in your confusion.
 
Jan 25, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #12,569 of 24,807

Dinan

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Posts
424
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I saw one too for sale very recently. I bid on it, but unfortunately it was sold to someone else. Looked awesome.
Here's a picture of one.



DROOL! Must have one!
very_evil_smiley.gif
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top