The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #12,526 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woo Audio has a good price on them.

Woo Audio - STAX SR-202 Basic Open-Back Electrostatic Earspearkers

Thanks, I may be able to get the whole set slightly less than that from the EU and definitely less than that from Japan
wink.gif
And the headphone would be taken apart anyway so warranty is unimportant.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #12,527 of 24,807
I Imported my SRM600 & SR404LE from Japan (to Europe). At the time I could not find a EU-dealer who sold them, and the Stax-website stated that these limited editions were not to be sold outside Japan. But I now found a dealer in the Netherlands (Amsterdam) that sells them - for less than the amount I payed in total (brokerage, bank fees, shipping costs and EU-import taxes all add to the original pricing with Japanese taxes...)

So for anyone who wants them via the official route in the EU: KNOKKi audio technologies amsterdam

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #12,528 of 24,807
So I've been thinking of getting an SR202 as well, and thinking of just getting the basic package. I don't want to spend too much on this game when I start out, so I'm wondering: Compared to an SR404LE and an SRM-007 which I've heard, will the combination strike me as similar?

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #12,529 of 24,807
Just thought I would share and will post this to the 404LE thread too:

As an interesting data point, I just received a pair of 404LE from Elusive Disc in the 093X serial number range. I had these on order for about 4 months and they are out of the most current batch so it looks like STAX is almost done with production of the 1000 units depending on how many they do at a time. So maybe there are 50 pairs left that to be produced or maybe the last 50 were produced and sent to other countries and this was it.

My 5 month old pair that I got from HeadphoneAddict (also from Elusive Disc) is number 066X so they ran off about 325 units in that time period. Looks like maybe no more for the US market with a few floating around in other markets.
frown.gif

I plugged the new ones in to check them out quickly and noticed a rather large sonic difference with my other pair that has logged around 20 hours on top of what Larry put on them so maybe 70-75 hours total if I remember correctly so initial burn-in seems significant. I plan to cook this pair for a couple of hundred hours to see what happens.

I also inspected them VERY closely for any signs of production differences and found nothing. Both pairs were 100% consistent.

On a more positive note, it looks like they do have the SRM-600's available so I will look forward to feedback from anyone that has tried the combo compared to the SRM-007 and 006.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #12,531 of 24,807
The T1 (and all it's descendants) and the SRM-600 are very similar so any real improvements should be when you push the volume and the greater voltage capabilities of the ECC99 come into play. Also comparing a vintage Stax amp to a new one isn't a great idea unless you replace all the electrolytic caps first. I'm not talking about some vain audiophool upgrades but the caps do wear out with time and in a simple CRC PSU as Stax uses you will definitely notice a difference. Also adjusting the offset is vital, not only on the tube amps.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #12,532 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an interesting data point, I just received a pair of 404LE from Elusive Disc in the 093X serial number range. I had these on order for about 4 months and they are out of the most current batch so it looks like STAX is almost done with production of the 1000 units depending on how many they do at a time. So maybe there are 50 pairs left that to be produced or maybe the last 50 were produced and sent to other countries and this was it.

Yeah, my pair is 0931 which arrived a week or two ago after almost 3 months on order. I agree they must be done with production, if they are truly going to stick to 1000 pairs.

Quote:

I plugged the new ones in to check them out quickly and noticed a rather large sonic difference with my other pair that has logged around 20 hours on top of what Larry put on them so maybe 70-75 hours total if I remember correctly so initial burn-in seems significant. I plan to cook this pair for a couple of hundred hours to see what happens.

I am finding that my pair is improving with time. I asked if they require burn-in like good dynamics, and the consensus was they didn't, but I do notice an improvement as time goes on.

I am really loving these, especially in combo with the eXStatA. The bass and vocal clarity is amazing...

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #12,534 of 24,807
Quote:

Just thought I would share and will post this to the 404LE thread too:

My 5 month old pair that I got from HeadphoneAddict (also from Elusive Disc) is number 066X so they ran off about 325 units in that time period. Looks like maybe no more for the US market with a few floating around in other markets.
frown.gif

I also inspected them VERY closely for any signs of production differences and found nothing. Both pairs were 100% consistent.

On a more positive note, it looks like they do have the SRM-600's available so I will look forward to feedback from anyone that has tried the combo compared to the SRM-007 and 006.

I received them on Sept 28 2009, so technically they are slightly less than 4 months old. I put about 70-72 hours on them before RMAF.

What are the differences between the 100 hour pair and the zero hour pair? (still working on how to pay to buy mine back).

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #12,537 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would an SR-404 and an SRM1 (Not the MKII) rewired for 580V go together?

I bet few, if any, so far have heard one.
But as mentioned earlier the SR-404 and SRM-1/MK2 Pro is a nice match, so chances are that the SRM-1 (you talk about) will match just as good.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #12,538 of 24,807
Question: were black versions of the original SRM-006t and SRM-007t, not the tII, ever produced? I do know that a black version of the SRM-717 exists, but I never saw a black SRM-006t or SRM-007t. Did anybody ever see one?

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #12,540 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question: were black versions of the original SRM-006t and SRM-007t, not the tII, ever produced? I do know that a black version of the SRM-717 exists, but I never saw a black SRM-006t or SRM-007t. Did anybody ever see one?

Indeed!
I owned a black SRM-007t for 2 1/2 year, and sold it through Head-Fi a year ago.

Pictures:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back