The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #18,421 of 24,807
A Stax amp will always have to be balanced at the output regardless of the input so it makes sense to have a balanced input as well.  It's almost always cheaper to design an amp with a "free" balanced input (i.e. enough open loop gain to do it's own phase splitting) instead of using a singled ended input and feed that into a phase splitter.  Less parts and if one only wants to use RCA then it's a simple matter of grounding the - input.  This naturally halves the ultimate voltage swing (as you are only feeding it half the input voltage of a balanced signal, 2.1Vrms vs. 4.2Vrms) but that's the only negative effect.  

The real problem with solid state is that once the parts are out of production, they are gone forever or go for silly prices.  This is especially true for high voltage parts and these are disappearing quickly.  With tubes we don't have this problem, it's a niche market so manufacturers are happy to sell less units and there is a large infrastructure out there to sell matched tubes to hobbyists.  We will also only use current production tubes and only triodes at that.  Tubes are also very forgiving to mistakes and many will take a lot of abuse before giving up the ghost.  With sand this isn't the case and they have a ca. 20% safety margin and after that they release the magic smoke. 

One problem with a simple tube amp is optimizing performance without spending too much.  While a two stage amp might work it really has to have three stages (i.e. 3 triodes per phase so six dual triodes per amp) and there is really no way of doing this DC coupled.  That means at least one capacitor in the signal path but I can live with that and perhaps spend more money optimizing the operating point for the tubes to drag it into the 21st century. 

Quote:
Wow, great news, I'm sure that would be a neat amp. The begging question is of course, will it be better than something like a hybrid Extata AND cheaper to build? Oh and will it be a budget alternative to 323S for the O2?

I would never release anything as bad as the Exstata so yeah, it will be better and the price will be similar.  With an amp like this we have to use custom made transformers but that shouldn't add to the cost at all and it beats those crappy Hammond 270 cores.  With both driver and output tubes in use we can't have them share the same filament tap and I can't find any off the shelf transformer which fits that general description. 

May 28, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #18,423 of 24,807
Is it possible to change the metal piece that holds the 007 earpads in? It feels like mine have lost some tension and the earcups are too close to the ear for comfort.

Oh, and sign me up for one of those "STAX mafia" t-shirts. :)

May 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #18,424 of 24,807
Someone say Stax Mafia t-shirt?

I am sooo getting one of these made. :veryevil:

May 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #18,425 of 24,807
I can definitely see the "once in never out" part. If I could only have one setup, I would be electrostatic. There's so much more to the music as heard through a good Stax setup that it's not even funny.

And you're right about the flow of information. I've learned quite a bit from this neverending thread.

I'm very interested in that amp you mention, can't wait to get more details (and ultimately build one).

Cheers!

Quote:
I guess I'll have to step in now being the so called Don of this dark and twisted group of nerds... 
rolleyes.gif
  The Stax Mafia name wasn't chosen by us but rather thought of by one rather annoying RSA shill back in the day.  His reasoning behind it was "once your in you can't leave" as most Stax converts will never go back to inferior dynamics.  Pretty much spot on so clearly his only rational thought in a long line of crap ones.... 

The role of the Mafia has always been free flow of information, whether it was how to change a 100V Stax amp to 117/230V, how to change the earpads on some set or rebias an amp after tuberolling.  I do think exposing sub par, faulty or downright dangerous products falls under this mandate though this aspect was mostly thrust upon us starting with the Single Power mess.  Anybody can build a dynamic amp but electrostatics present a whole other level of issues and this has to be discussed.  DIY has also always been a stong part of the mafia and something which Stax have always encouraged.  The circuit behind the Single Power ES amps was indeed a Stax circuit they published for people to build on their own.  After tackling the ultimate SOTA, SOTA solid state and so forth I do think it is time for a Volksamp, a DIY project for everybody that anybody can build.  The goal is simple, make a high performance amp which is cheap but with great performance and make the build as painless as is possible.  We are currently prototyping one design (the BATE or balanced all tube electrostatic) but I want to push for an even simpler design without sacrificing too much performance. 

May 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #18,426 of 24,807
The design process is well underway but we keep coming up to the same problem, cost.  We really only care about performance and cost isn't even considered.  I for one never build using a BOM and buy everything in bulk so if I need one resistor I buy 100.  Add to this a good design dialog and it's hard to not go bonkers.  As it stands now the amp is a version of the Stax SRX (same circuit as Single Power used in the ES amps but done correctly) with a CCS for the output stage, DC filament supplies (makes it much easier to wire up power indication LED's etc and also no hum) and a new PSU which is a simplified version of the KGSSHV supply. 

Quote:
Is it possible to change the metal piece that holds the 007 earpads in? It feels like mine have lost some tension and the earcups are too close to the ear for comfort.

Oh, and sign me up for one of those "STAX mafia" t-shirts. :)

The metal backing plate or the spring?  Both are essential for the phones to function properly so I would rather look at replacing the earpads.  The foam breaks down far too quickly and the pads become too soft which might be your issue.  I wouldn't bother with the brown Mk1 earpads and get mk2 earpads instead.  I'll certainly never go back to the Mk1 pads despite having a box full of them... 

May 28, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #18,427 of 24,807
Quote:
The metal backing plate or the spring?  Both are essential for the phones to function properly so I would rather look at replacing the earpads.  The foam breaks down far too quickly and the pads become too soft which might be your issue.  I wouldn't bother with the brown Mk1 earpads and get mk2 earpads instead.  I'll certainly never go back to the Mk1 pads despite having a box full of them... 

I'm talking about the spring. Excuse my ignorance, so do new earpads come with new springs? I assumed you would have to re-use the springs.

May 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #18,430 of 24,807
The material and the design for the Mk2 earpads is different so that alters the sound a bit. 

Quote:

I'm talking about the spring. Excuse my ignorance, so do new earpads come with new springs? I assumed you would have to re-use the springs.

The springs are a part of the headphone so they have to be reused. 

May 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #18,431 of 24,807
Hi all:

Lurking stax user here with a curiosity to share: Stax Quattro CDP

Picked this up recently as a total impulse buy... anyone have any info?

It somehow works perfectly (no read errors/skipping on original lens!).  Sounds surprisingly good through O2 Mk1 and Headamp KGSS - very smooth and much less glare than I expected from a CDP this old.  I think a lot of people who like non-os sound would probably like this unit (loose at the frequency extremes, sacrificed detail for nice tone).  I also happen to have a replacement lens just in case, luckily, but feel no need to install it until it stops reading discs.

It oddly has two power cords - one captive for the transport and an IEC for the DAC (lower portion).  Quite funny.

Good build quality, smooth black painted metal with minimal plastic.

Sad thing is I don't have CDs with me anymore... had to grab some from storage, ha.

Picture: (sorry for quality)

EDIT: if anyone is interested I can take some better pics  w/ SLR camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back