The Stax Thread III
Oct 3, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #21,346 of 25,481
You can find used one in very good condition for 2.5k€ , 3k€ for a demo one seems fair.
Thanks for your answer. How important would you deem warranty in that respect?

Oct 5, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #21,349 of 25,481
star repair are expensive , i would prefer the 3k€ one with warranty still going , 2.5k€ or 3k€ imo is the same thing in the end.
If I may offer a counter argument. Admittingly I say this while I have one for sale, but I have not found them difficult to deal with or expensive to fix. My left driver failed back in July and Edifier treated me very good. They rebuild both drivers and added new earpads. The expense to replace the drivers was about 1k euro (translating from USD. I paid in USD) so on that math if the drivers in the unit I'm selling were to fail again in the future the total price of my 2nd hand unit plus edifier cost to replace them again (based on today dollars) would be the same as the cost of a new SR-009...

I think the problem may be with Stax USA. For reasons that I cannot understand Stax USA offers repair services that are separate from the Japan factory and ~2x as expensive. I did not have any issue with getting Stax Japan to take my RMA. I bought through a legitimate dealer. I simply do not have enough experience though with Stax USA to say if this was a one-off thing or if they are just more expensive if you go through them. One thing is for sure, Stax distribution network sure is confusing!

Oct 6, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #21,350 of 25,481
If I may offer a counter argument. Admittingly I say this while I have one for sale, but I have not found them difficult to deal with or expensive to fix. My left driver failed back in July and Edifier treated me very good. They rebuild both drivers and added new earpads. The expense to replace the drivers was about 1k euro (translating from USD. I paid in USD) so on that math if the drivers in the unit I'm selling were to fail again in the future the total price of my 2nd hand unit plus edifier cost to replace them again (based on today dollars) would be the same as the cost of a new SR-009...

I think the problem may be with Stax USA. For reasons that I cannot understand Stax USA offers repair services that are separate from the Japan factory and ~2x as expensive. I did not have any issue with getting Stax Japan to take my RMA. I bought through a legitimate dealer. I simply do not have enough experience though with Stax USA to say if this was a one-off thing or if they are just more expensive if you go through them. One thing is for sure, Stax distribution network sure is confusing!
I had a channel imbalance issue on my 009S early this summer as well and the replacement was made for free by the dealer and the local importer and I was out of warranty… It was a pleasant seeing that great price can also buy great service. 😊

They shared they barely ever see any problems with SR-009S (when they are treated well of course).

Apparently early 009 may have been more prone to developing the issue, but it was a long time ago. So if the pair you are selling has already been fixed it should be good to go for a good few years indeed.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #21,351 of 25,481
Install ROON as it comes with free 30day tryout. Convolver is built into the DSP menu and simple to use.
The ORATORY1990 files are here: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018 just click onto the 44.1kHz and 48kHz wav files and then click DOWNLOAD, safe them, then zip BOTH files into ONE zip file (appropriately named) and upload this file in the ROON CONVOLVER DSP Menu (you have to add the Convolver first, it is not loaded as a default by clicking the + symbol)

so, i was able to download the 44.1k and 48k WAV files. i read them into R and converted to a time domain impulse response, so i'm ready to try convolving some music files.

are there any impulse responses that are more than 16bits? convolving two 16 bit files is not a very clean way to process audio data.

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #21,352 of 25,481
Does anyone have EQ settings for Lambda Signatures (purchased in 1991)? I haven't listened to them much over these 30 years but plan to listen more often. They sound very nice but after hearing some $3000 plus cans at Canjam, I'd like to see if they can do better.

Oct 9, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #21,353 of 25,481
Yesterday was the day of the day, launch day of STAX SR-X9K in Japan. I wish I will recieve my pair soon.
ACAF964F-C6D5-433D-9A54-3462197A2DAA.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #21,356 of 25,481
Oct 12, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #21,358 of 25,481
First trip with the D10 + 007A the case was perfect for storing them while on the road. The pics are from the way back when I was on a rush, on the way in it looked even better organized. The power supply and cables actually help getting everything tight in place. The combo is flexible of course because of D10, I could listen to my cousin’s turntable with the 3.5-rca female adapter on the pic (that came with my tv) and to digital with laptop.
7FA82B91-8EFE-40C5-9326-5B37704EC638.jpeg

Attachments

• 9B829705-17EC-42BA-9374-BE8F891F2D62.jpeg
    9B829705-17EC-42BA-9374-BE8F891F2D62.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 15, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #21,359 of 25,481
Hello,

After being away from Stax for a few years, I got back in the game a few weeks ago and bought a pair of new L700s. Now that I'm adjusting to the sound signature, I'm really getting into them and in terms of listening experience, they're a step up from my 30-year-old Lambda Pros. L700s are definitely more 'luxuriant' than the leaner, sparer sound of the Pros, at least to my ears.

The thing is, I'm still using my old SRM-252S driver, which is actually making the L700s sound very decent already. Ideally I'd like to pick up a used 353X in the not too distant future but I've also wondered if SBooster would make a worthwhile improvement for less than 50% of probable cost of 353X. I'm working on a tight budget as I also hope to upgrade my Chord Qute to Qutest in the next 12 months.

So the question is, does anyone have experience of using SRM-252S with SBooster and what are their thoughts in terms of what differences they thought it made/makes to the sound and whether they consider it a worthwhile addition. I've read a number of reviews and impressions of SBooster, most of which appear to be very positive but none of them have specific to SRM-252S.

I should add that I'm no audiophile and don't consider myself to be over demanding in terms of what I expect in terms of SQ and volume or amount of bass required. These days I listen at lower volumes than in my younger, analogue days, rarely venturing above 9 o'clock on the volume knob. Even at these moderate levels, I find the L700s are so crisp and clean they sound vibrant and fairly full bodied. I mostly listen rock, blues, semi-acoustic and folk, etc.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Oct 15, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #21,360 of 25,481
Hello,

After being away from Stax for a few years, I got back in the game a few weeks ago and bought a pair of new L700s. Now that I'm adjusting to the sound signature, I'm really getting into them and in terms of listening experience, they're a step up from my 30-year-old Lambda Pros. L700s are definitely more 'luxuriant' than the leaner, sparer sound of the Pros, at least to my ears.

The thing is, I'm still using my old SRM-252S driver, which is actually making the L700s sound very decent already. Ideally I'd like to pick up a used 353X in the not too distant future but I've also wondered if SBooster would make a worthwhile improvement for less than 50% of probable cost of 353X. I'm working on a tight budget as I also hope to upgrade my Chord Qute to Qutest in the next 12 months.

So the question is, does anyone have experience of using SRM-252S with SBooster and what are their thoughts in terms of what differences they thought it made/makes to the sound and whether they consider it a worthwhile addition. I've read a number of reviews and impressions of SBooster, most of which appear to be very positive but none of them have specific to SRM-252S.

I should add that I'm no audiophile and don't consider myself to be over demanding in terms of what I expect in terms of SQ and volume or amount of bass required. These days I listen at lower volumes than in my younger, analogue days, rarely venturing above 9 o'clock on the volume knob. Even at these moderate levels, I find the L700s are so crisp and clean they sound vibrant and fairly full bodied. I mostly listen rock, blues, semi-acoustic and folk, etc.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Buy a better amp, the Sbooster will at the very best be only a very subtle improvement. But the 353x will be a lot better for driving the L700 than what you have, especially at moderately loud and louder volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back