The Stax Thread III
Sep 23, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #21,242 of 25,464
It would be excellent if the x9000 were actually competitive with the SR and HE-1, at a much lower price.

Based on the modest 20% surface area size gain of the x9000 mesh stator, and the fact that the mesh is adhered to a SR-009S-style etched electrode, which covers/obstructs/adheres to 50% of the mesh surface area, it's likely going to be a bit give and take, and the FR is likely to be somewhat challenged, much like Stax' existing offerings. It does seem that the overall transparency and realism will be improved enough to be immediately noticeable, which is encouraging. The soundstage improvements are likely to be modest, given the size of the stators.

Why do we need a more complicated 4 layer structure, that is made up of 009S plastic, adhered to SR-Omega style mesh? Stax believes this is necessary to keep the mesh stator stable, but the Shangri-La and Shangri-La JR mesh stators don't seem to need this. Stax are emphasizing durability in a mesh stator design, but this comes at the cost of ultimate transparency.

There is always the chance that through careful tuning, Stax will have resolved their FR gremlins of the past 20 years, and we will get a truly competitive, unique, and captivating flagship-level sound reproduction :) It certainly looks good, and the ergonomics and weight are right.

If anyone ends up with a loaner, it would be great to A-B with the Shangri-La on the DIY T2 or Megatron :)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #21,243 of 25,464
I guess we can't make out about the bass for now. And while I have not heard a t8000, headamp told me that the t8000 is slightly warmer than the Blue Hawaii so take that into consideration. Also the lush tuning has my attention. I love my verite closed for it lush mids. Seems as though there will be a noticeable heavier emotional weight to the notes. Definitely like what I'm reading.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #21,244 of 25,464
We all can buy iphone13 pro for 1k, and yeah, I am sure we are sort of insane to pay 6k for a headphone, but the second hand market for these somehow retain value which is not that bad for a hobby. Its all hifi-mans faluts which started this whole sounding good means expensive trend.
252S is enought for the original omega?

252 (actually AIRBOW 253S to be precise) was my favorite amp with the Omega actually. Of course, it is the only time I got a STAX (only the Omega, the L500/009S sounded real good with it even cranked up) to sound like the amp was running out of juice when I cranked up the volume, but for my realistic listening levels (around 70-85 db) it was very nice.

I tried the Omega with the T1S, 353X, and the AIRBOW.

T1S was the clear loser. The Omega had some more bass to it here, but just came off as too dark and muddy sounding. T1S was probably the best amp with L500. 009S sounded good on T1S but also good on the other two amps in a different way (bit more clarity bit less bass).

353X/253S were very close, I'm actually not sure I can call the 253S better than the 353X or if it was just something other than the amp affecting my impression of the sound it was that close. The Omega sounds like others have explained it on these amps though. Great clarity (not 009S level), a beautiful and natural tonality. For classical/orchestral it is really top notch better than any STAX I heard.

I just spent the most time with the Omega listening on the 253S and enjoyed it immensely before a buyer came along.

So I am very excited about this STAX X (yes I will not use that ugly X9000 name lol) maybe bringing the clarity and technicalities of the 009S and the tonality of the Omega.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #21,245 of 25,464
Today the first public demo of the SR-X9000 are held in Tokyo, there are various opinion floating in japanese Twitter.

The SR-X9000 has a "lush sound", giving the impression that it is softer overall and has a much wider soundstage than previous products. The tuning of the sound so far remains the same compare to the 009/009S, but still the difference is noticeable, where the SR-009S feels much dry and simple . SR-009 and SR-009S are natural with a delicate expression with thick and high resolution, while appealing the sound itself directly to the ear and producing a sharp sound with lines. However, with the SR-X9000, the thickness of the sound is more soft and lush, but the contents are dense since resolution are much higher, taking electrostatic soundstage to another level, adding musical expression and the three-dimensional of the overall sound. I felt like I can feel it leaves reverberation.

What I felt with the SR-X9000 is that, for example, the violin's crisp high-pitched sound is expressed with a margin. SR-009S and SR-009 tend to appeal directly to the limit value of high-pitched sound with the thickness of the sound, but SR-X9000 gives more space than the limit (reverberation) and is lush.

In terms of sound volume, the instruments that are ringing behind the vocals have a clearer sense of separation than the SR-009S and SR-009, and are naturally expressed in places away from the vocals.
In SR-009 and SR-009S, these incidental sounds seem to be almost on the same line as the vocals due to the influence of the thickness of the sound itself, but this time the thickness has been relaxed to reduce the volume of the entire sound. Recognize that you can feel more.
1632405896684.png

Other opinion on twitter includes:
  • The STAX SR-X9000 has a good acoustic texture, but the soundstage is not as good as palnars when using a high-end amplifier. Well the amp is too rubbish.
  • The Sr-X9000 retain good neaturallity and higher resolution in sophisticated sound
  • I tried listening to STAX SR-X9000 (driver is T8000). The difference from 009S is
    ・ Not as Heavy
    ・ Music genre is almighty

Based on the above, sounds like it does and doesn't sound like the 009 lol. It actually sounds like the tuning is going to be closer to the SGL Sr based on what I'm reading and impressions I've also seen of the original Omegas. That's not a bad thing at all, but selfishly I wanted something different lol.

That said, it sounds really promising and like it's going to be much more enjoyable to most* users, as it seems like there may not be treble issues and there may be more weight to the sound. I'm also really interested in how the bass will play out. SGL's bass to my ears is almost identical to the Susvara. I'd absolutely be happy if the x9000 (really hate this model naming lol) could add a bit of quantity here while still maintaining high quality and accuracy. Just haven't met a stat outside of the 007 that does so (albeit with slightly slower and more bloated bass).

Ultimately, just need to hear them.. can't wait until they get into more people's hands. :)

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #21,246 of 25,464
Today the first public demo of the SR-X9000 are held in Tokyo, there are various opinion floating in japanese Twitter.

Let me try to translate a few review.(editing google translate result since I am too tried after work to write everything from starch)
https://umauma2010.hatenablog.com/entry/2021/09/23/183104

The SR-X9000 has a "lush sound", giving the impression that it is softer overall and has a much wider soundstage than previous products. The tuning of the sound so far remains the same compare to the 009/009S, but still the difference is noticeable, where the SR-009S feels much dry and simple . SR-009 and SR-009S are natural with a delicate expression with thick and high resolution, while appealing the sound itself directly to the ear and producing a sharp sound with lines. However, with the SR-X9000, the thickness of the sound is more soft and lush, but the contents are dense since resolution are much higher, taking electrostatic soundstage to another level, adding musical expression and the three-dimensional of the overall sound. I felt like I can feel it leaves reverberation.

What I felt with the SR-X9000 is that, for example, the violin's crisp high-pitched sound is expressed with a margin. SR-009S and SR-009 tend to appeal directly to the limit value of high-pitched sound with the thickness of the sound, but SR-X9000 gives more space than the limit (reverberation) and is lush.

In terms of sound volume, the instruments that are ringing behind the vocals have a clearer sense of separation than the SR-009S and SR-009, and are naturally expressed in places away from the vocals.
In SR-009 and SR-009S, these incidental sounds seem to be almost on the same line as the vocals due to the influence of the thickness of the sound itself, but this time the thickness has been relaxed to reduce the volume of the entire sound. Recognize that you can feel more.

Other opinion on twitter includes:
  • The STAX SR-X9000 has a good acoustic texture, but the soundstage is not as good as palnars when using a high-end amplifier. Well the amp is too rubbish.
  • The Sr-X9000 retain good neaturallity and higher resolution in sophisticated sound
  • I tried listening to STAX SR-X9000 (driver is T8000). The difference from 009S is
    ・ Not as Heavy
    ・ Music genre is almighty
Please know I am very appreciative of you sharing this with us and translating for us English folk. That said, I cannot resist the temptation to use these funny translation parts to come up with my own summary, which is:

When you listen to the X9000 most instruments in your tracks will be ringing, unless they are vocals. Somehow the sound produced has lines that you can feel and they reverberate. What's more, the headphones come with a rubbish amp and this ruins the soundstage, unless you listen to music produced by God himself because those tracks create enough incidental sounds that everything is perfect.

Did I get it right? LOL (just kidding)

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #21,247 of 25,464
Please know I am very appreciative of you sharing this with us and translating for us English folk. That said, I cannot resist the temptation to use these funny translation parts to come up with my own summary, which is:

When you listen to the X9000 most instruments in your tracks will be ringing, unless they are vocals. Somehow the sound produced has lines that you can feel and they reverberate. What's more, the headphones come with a rubbish amp and this ruins the soundstage, unless you listen to music produced by God himself because those tracks create enough incidental sounds that everything is perfect.

Did I get it right? LOL (just kidding)
you should have resisted.

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #21,249 of 25,464
Sep 23, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #21,251 of 25,464
l've heard these yesterday.
X9000 has more bass qantity than 009S, but not the 007 level.
That’s perfect for me! :L3000:
I own the SR-009 and also had the SR-007 MkII but sold the 007 because they were a little too dark for me.
These could be it for me!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 24, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #21,253 of 25,464
They should have had an original Omega there for people to compare.
Not many people can afford one and even less store will have one in working condition and is generous enough to put it out for demo

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #21,254 of 25,464
Yeah I know, but Stax should have horde a ton of them ages ago. Sad that the company that makes em can't afford them because they have become unobtainium. From your translation so far. It pretty kinda like how the original Omega vs the 009 series. Warmer smoother presentation, super revealing. you find thing in track that you never noticed was there resolution. Also, much wider soundstage, decent concert size not small living room in an apartment.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #21,255 of 25,464
Sad that the company that makes em can't afford them because they have become unobtainium.
They have purchased back a few pairs at market value, so they can afford them.
But there is 0 point in hoarding more, if it is not the product they want to sell.
img1.jpg
img2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back