The Stax Thread III
Jun 16, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #20,371 of 25,433
STAX is making new omega? I don't think so. SRM-400S and SRM-500T are just replacement model.
Anyway, by the corona virus, there are no real portable audio show for a year or more. There is too
little information. And Press? STAX will not reveal the new products before they completes.
I just wait for the chance to get information from them directly.

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #20,373 of 25,433
Hey..... I'm back again asking for purchasing advice...

I've read that most people recommend KGSSHV, Carbons, and BHSE. I'm confident of my circuit building skills and electronics but I can't find a solid source for how much the components would cost so I'm kind of ruling those amplifiers out for now unless they're cheaper than I think.

So I was going to buy L300 but was talked out of it for a used L700 but an auction for an SR-007A came up and I made the "mistake" of buying it since it was only so little more than what I was going to spend for the L700 for better build quality and thicker sound/bass. But as you can already guess... I need an amplifier for it and I've read multiple places that either the SRM-717 or KGSSHV were the bare minimum to run them depending who you ask. I did see an SRD-7 with a pro bias output but it sold for a decent bit and I would prefer left right channel balance capabilities, I mean windows has it built in but I do not trust it as much especially with it already changing volume throughout the day by +-10%.

I've read that Spritzer actually likes the 323 but do not know if it's the A or S variant and not sure about his opinion for it for an SR-007A. I see a 323A available for $320 like new condition but saw they can sell for $200-$300. I saw the SRM-717 has sold recently between $430-$590. I also see from previous sales the SRM-727 selling between $520-$720. I imagine the SRM-717 would be a decent upgrade from the SRM-323A for the SR-007A but would a SRM-727 be worth the cost to later do the global feedback mod? I just don't know if I want to spend the extra few hundred for a small improvement over the SRM-717 which if I truly do fall in love with these headphones, I'll be able to DIY a KGSSHV or Carbon easier.

I guess TLDR?; "Accidentally" purchased an SR-007A and need an energizer. DIY KGSSHV/Carbon/BSHE too expensive? Don't know correct pricing. SRM-323A or SRM-717 or SRM-727, is a 727 worth a few hundred more than 717 or is even somehow an 323A barely enough? Do want Left Right Balance controls and have a balanced DAC.

Thank you again for all the help and suggestions, even with reading for days, I definitely will not know what's best without experience and years of knowledge.

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #20,374 of 25,433
Jun 17, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #20,375 of 25,433
Except there’s no xlr inputs nor separate volume control, should have read better :wink:. For the latter, that will force you to stick with stax amps, I wouldn’t not recommend a 727 amp at least, been there already and there’s room for improvements. If anything, a used 717 would be a better choice for 007A, possibly even a lower end 353x etc.

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #20,376 of 25,433
Except there’s no xlr inputs nor separate volume control, should have read better :wink:. For the latter, that will force you to stick with stax amps, I wouldn’t not recommend a 727 amp at least, been there already and there’s room for improvements. If anything, a used 717 would be a better choice for 007A, possibly even a lower end 353x etc.
Thank you for your advice and suggestions! I was leaning towards the 717 over the 727 from what I've been reading and now also your advice from experience.

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #20,377 of 25,433
Hey..... I'm back again asking for purchasing advice...

I've read that most people recommend KGSSHV, Carbons, and BHSE. I'm confident of my circuit building skills and electronics but I can't find a solid source for how much the components would cost so I'm kind of ruling those amplifiers out for now unless they're cheaper than I think.

So I was going to buy L300 but was talked out of it for a used L700 but an auction for an SR-007A came up and I made the "mistake" of buying it since it was only so little more than what I was going to spend for the L700 for better build quality and thicker sound/bass. But as you can already guess... I need an amplifier for it and I've read multiple places that either the SRM-717 or KGSSHV were the bare minimum to run them depending who you ask. I did see an SRD-7 with a pro bias output but it sold for a decent bit and I would prefer left right channel balance capabilities, I mean windows has it built in but I do not trust it as much especially with it already changing volume throughout the day by +-10%.

I've read that Spritzer actually likes the 323 but do not know if it's the A or S variant and not sure about his opinion for it for an SR-007A. I see a 323A available for $320 like new condition but saw they can sell for $200-$300. I saw the SRM-717 has sold recently between $430-$590. I also see from previous sales the SRM-727 selling between $520-$720. I imagine the SRM-717 would be a decent upgrade from the SRM-323A for the SR-007A but would a SRM-727 be worth the cost to later do the global feedback mod? I just don't know if I want to spend the extra few hundred for a small improvement over the SRM-717 which if I truly do fall in love with these headphones, I'll be able to DIY a KGSSHV or Carbon easier.

I guess TLDR?; "Accidentally" purchased an SR-007A and need an energizer. DIY KGSSHV/Carbon/BSHE too expensive? Don't know correct pricing. SRM-323A or SRM-717 or SRM-727, is a 727 worth a few hundred more than 717 or is even somehow an 323A barely enough? Do want Left Right Balance controls and have a balanced DAC.

Thank you again for all the help and suggestions, even with reading for days, I definitely will not know what's best without experience and years of knowledge.
007 needs a lot of power and a good speaker amp + srd7mkII pro can provide all the power you need in most cost efficient way. If you want to check how much a KGSSHV would cost in total, check mouser.com, almost all the components can be bought from there. Since you know soldering, and have electronics skills you can build your own Lundahl energizer too and get closer to the "end game": http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/stax_transf.html. If you have questions feel free to ask.

717 can be enough for SR007A if you do not listen your music very loud. However because of 007's laid back presentation, I often find myself listening to them in very loud listening levels.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #20,378 of 25,433
007 needs a lot of power and a good speaker amp + srd7mkII pro can provide all the power you need in most cost efficient way. If you want to check how much a KGSSHV would cost in total, check mouser.com, almost all the components can be bought from there. Since you know soldering, and have electronics skills you can build your own Lundahl energizer too and get closer to the "end game": http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/stax_transf.html. If you have questions feel free to ask.

717 can be enough for SR007A if you do not listen your music very loud. However because of 007's laid back presentation, I often find myself listening to them in very loud listening levels.
Thanks for the heads up with the possible issues with the 717+007 combination! I have been trying to find an up to date BOM of the KGSSHV and Carbon but cannot find a solid source since I found multiple with different components, would Spritzer starter kit be the best place to start or do you recommend something else? I am going to continue reading into these two energizers but for now, I'll continue watching the 717 so I can at least see what I got myself into.
I haven't heard of the Lundahl energizer till now (guess I haven't read enough) but the schematics look extremely simple? Another thing to read and look into for the future.
Thank You

Jun 17, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #20,381 of 25,433
Thanks for the heads up with the possible issues with the 717+007 combination! I have been trying to find an up to date BOM of the KGSSHV and Carbon but cannot find a solid source since I found multiple with different components, would Spritzer starter kit be the best place to start or do you recommend something else? I am going to continue reading into these two energizers but for now, I'll continue watching the 717 so I can at least see what I got myself into.
I haven't heard of the Lundahl energizer till now (guess I haven't read enough) but the schematics look extremely simple? Another thing to read and look into for the future.
Thank You
over on head-case the parts and schematics are in various hidden thread posts. the folks there are super helpful, just asking should get you what you're looking for

sadly i don't have the links on hand right now, but they're all hosted in a google drive currently (still accessible last i checked a couple months ago)

good luck!

Jun 17, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #20,382 of 25,433
over on head-case the parts and schematics are in various hidden thread posts. the folks there are super helpful, just asking should get you what you're looking for

sadly i don't have the links on hand right now, but they're all hosted in a google drive currently (still accessible last i checked a couple months ago)

good luck!
Thanks for the direction! I've noticed there is still I do not know about those energizer and I should take much more time to read and understand everything about them from the different versions to now the types I haven't even heard of like the Lundahl energizer and find out which one is best for me. For now, I am hoping to get a 717 to help me get a taste of what the 007A can do as its basics. Also do not worry about not having the links, I think it'll be best for myself to find extra which one I want and understand why I want that one over the others excluding the BHSE due to its price tag...
Thanks again! I've never used forums or asked for help out of idk fear? But definitely think it's the current best actions. I also type a lot...

Jun 17, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #20,383 of 25,433
Thanks for the direction! I've noticed there is still I do not know about those energizer and I should take much more time to read and understand everything about them from the different versions to now the types I haven't even heard of like the Lundahl energizer and find out which one is best for me. For now, I am hoping to get a 717 to help me get a taste of what the 007A can do as its basics. Also do not worry about not having the links, I think it'll be best for myself to find extra which one I want and understand why I want that one over the others excluding the BHSE due to its price tag...
Thanks again! I've never used forums or asked for help out of idk fear? But definitely think it's the current best actions. I also type a lot...
check Kevin Gilmore's posts on head-case, diy-audio forums and here to learn more about electrostatic amps, energizers, if you dig enough you can even find the formula to calculate slew rate of electrostatic amps!

Jun 17, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #20,384 of 25,433
I used to have some of these links in my sig, some go back a few years back but should still be valid. These are just older posts that helped me see the forest through the trees, they’re mostly stuff from ex active posters, some of them that have been tagged as « members of the stax mafia ». There was an era where several companies tried to get into estat market, sometimes producing items with controversial design choices or plainly unsafe. These members helped raise awereness on potential issues and also inject a bit of reality into things, which sometimes caused a lot stir as some viewed them as a block to creativity, leading to the same wire + gain type design « without soul ».

I bookmarked some of the technical exchanges, in particular plain facts about amp specs etc at a time when I was myself considering options. I realized I still had them bookmarked so sharing for the friendly @French Penguin (i.e. I started digging for you what @Tugbars was referring to).

You may need to scroll down the pages a bit and may be even more surprised by the posters, some are rather famous :wink::
- 717 vs 727: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-new.223263/post-9654796
- Transformer box vs. full blown amps and the risks: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wee-new-product-from-woo-audio.504471/post-6886820
- stat amps: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-new.223263/page-1241
-´some stat amps specs: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-new.223263/page-1240
-´some stat amps voltage swing ratings: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582518/electrostatic-amplifiers-voltage-ratings

Jun 17, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #20,385 of 25,433
I used to have some of these links in my sig, some go back a few years back but should still be valid. These are just older posts that helped me see the forest through the trees, they’re mostly stuff from ex active posters, some of them that have been tagged as « members of the stax mafia ». There was an era where several companies tried to get into estat market, sometimes producing items with controversial design choices or plainly unsafe. These members helped raise awereness on potential issues and also inject a bit of reality into things, which sometimes caused a lot stir as some viewed them as a block to creativity, leading to the same wire + gain type design « without soul ».

I bookmarked some of the technical exchanges, in particular plain facts about amp specs etc at a time when I was myself considering options. I realized I still had them bookmarked so sharing for the friendly @French Penguin (i.e. I started digging for you what @Tugbars was referring to).

You may need to scroll down the pages a bit and may be even more surprised by the posters, some are rather famous :wink::
- 717 vs 727: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-new.223263/post-9654796
- Transformer box vs. full blown amps and the risks: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wee-new-product-from-woo-audio.504471/post-6886820
- stat amps: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-new.223263/page-1241
-´some stat amps specs: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-new.223263/page-1240
-´some stat amps voltage swing ratings: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582518/electrostatic-amplifiers-voltage-ratings
Wow, thanks for the.... ah can't remember the word anymore after the phone call but for everything you mentioned and listed from the history, dangers, and links for everything. There is so much to learn that I do not know yet including the history of companies are very talented individuals pointing out protentional issues, sounds like a roller-coaster of events and maybe I'll learn why some members called the stax mafia.

Thank you for all the important links, forums, and history you posted, I need to start marking all of these topics down so I don't forget!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back