The Stax Thread III
May 27, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #20,326 of 25,481
The detail exists in the 007 but It's diffuse and difficult to pick out. Assuming both are driven well, 009(S) isn't more resolving than 007 by a huge margin(maybe 10% more if I have to give a number) but It's easier to pick out details with 009. 009 has this "too separated too fast" kind of presentation, 007 sounds cohesive. 007's mids are thick and quite textured, the usual 1300hz shout of Stax headphones is more annoying on 007 than 009 because of that. The decay on 009 is most of the time too fast, such fast decay gives the listener the sensation of "wow this headphone is incredibly detailed" however that kind of decay is one of the big reasons of why 009 doesn't sound natural. 009S(not 009) has good sub bass, it can rumble well, however in the bass department 007 totally wipes the floors with 009 and 009S. Better detail, better impact, better sub bass rumble... you name it. 009S sounds -especially with Carbon- extremely transparent, with good recorded music It doesn't feel like you are listening to headphones, it feels rather like sounds are appearing and floating magically around you. Sound images can get 3D on both headphones if the source is calling for it and if your dac is good enough for that. 009 makes the transducer disappear in its presentation if the music is well recorded. 007 does present like, sound like a headphone. Both have ridiculously good imaging. It's hard to imagine sound reproduction gets more resolving than on the 009S and Carbon(throw a Denafrips Terminator into the mix too) however you have to really like headphones with incredibly fast decay and have a certain type of taste which helps you to ignore harsh treble. 009 requires EQ more than 007 if you are into such stuff.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #20,327 of 25,481
The detail exists in the 007 but It's diffuse and difficult to pick out. Assuming both are driven well, 009(S) isn't more resolving than 007 by a huge margin(maybe 10% more if I have to give a number) but It's easier to pick out details with 009. 009 has this "too separated too fast" kind of presentation, 007 sounds cohesive. 007's mids are thick and quite textured, the usual 1300hz shout of Stax headphones is more annoying on 007 than 009 because of that. The decay on 009 is most of the time too fast, such fast decay gives the listener the sensation of "wow this headphone is incredibly detailed" however that kind of decay is one of the big reasons of why 009 doesn't sound natural. 009S(not 009) has good sub bass, it can rumble well, however in the bass department 007 totally wipes the floors with 009 and 009S. Better detail, better impact, better sub bass rumble... you name it. 009S sounds -especially with Carbon- extremely transparent, with good recorded music It doesn't feel like you are listening to headphones, it feels rather like sounds are appearing and floating magically around you. Sound images can get 3D on both headphones if the source is calling for it and if your dac is good enough for that. 009 makes the transducer disappear in its presentation if the music is well recorded. 007 does present like, sound like a headphone. Both have ridiculously good imaging. It's hard to imagine sound reproduction gets more resolving than on the 009S and Carbon(throw a Denafrips Terminator into the mix too) however you have to really like headphones with incredibly fast decay and have a certain type of taste which helps you to ignore harsh treble. 009 requires EQ more than 007 if you are into such stuff.

In your opinion, Do you prefer to EQ the MK1 to the Harman target (I use Oratory1990) or just leave it be?

May 28, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #20,328 of 25,481
I usually EQ it to the Harman target and make changes accordingly to my preferences.(I like flat bass, there's too much presence at 2800hz-5000hz range in Harman target for me, I like flat high-treble etc) Harman target curve is basically a preference curve, bend it to your will.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #20,329 of 25,481
How does the ES Labs A1 fit in here?

May 28, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #20,330 of 25,481
ES1A and 009S are very similar to each other, both are incredibly resolving & transparent, both sound very open and have that "too fast too separated" kind of presentation. however ES1A offers better bass detail and better bass presentation(better impact, sustain, decay etc) and 009/S have better imaging. ES1A has great separation and can place instruments/singers with incredible precision however sound images tend to get more 3D with the way of how the soundstage is formed on 009/S. Both have the same resonance area which is at around 1300hz~ and both have weird resonances around 4000-5000hz range.

Maybe, just maybe 009S sounds a bit more detailed but I can't really have a clear idea of whether it's due to different peaks in their frequency responses or rather one transducer is better resolving than the other.

Last edited:
May 28, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #20,331 of 25,481
May 28, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #20,332 of 25,481
Can you comment on how either the 007 or 009 compares to any TOTL planars? Are they playing in planar land? My understanding (from reading, not listening) is that the Lambdas have the classic airy, fast Stax sound, but the 007 (and maybe the 009) bring that sound closer to planar-like?

May 29, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #20,334 of 25,481
Comparing 007 to totl planars is a very lazy attempt to define 007's sound in my opinion. 007 sounds like an electrostatic headphone but Stax did different compromises in design with 007 than they did with 009 or lambda series.
You can compare them but you shouldn't equivocate.

May 29, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #20,336 of 25,481
May 30, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #20,338 of 25,481
Hi guys, I'm back because I'm unsure now. I truly want to buy Stax but I've been having a hard time pulling the trigger. I have been watching all of these sales and auctions go on for a few months now but I cannot decide what headphone/earspeaker to buy with which amplifier or fully justify my actions. There was a L300 LTD for under $700 USD if that is a deal since it was practically unused which ended this morning. I need help and advice of what I should do for my first Stax system for under $1100 USD with of course used parts. Should I continue trying auctions, post WTB, or what do you recommend? I'm still not sure if I should've let those L300 LTD go.

Thank You for your help, Had advice before but it was outside of my price range since I didn't mention one.

May 30, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #20,339 of 25,481
Hi guys, I'm back because I'm unsure now. I truly want to buy Stax but I've been having a hard time pulling the trigger. I have been watching all of these sales and auctions go on for a few months now but I cannot decide what headphone/earspeaker to buy with which amplifier or fully justify my actions. There was a L300 LTD for under $700 USD if that is a deal since it was practically unused which ended this morning. I need help and advice of what I should do for my first Stax system for under $1100 USD with of course used parts. Should I continue trying auctions, post WTB, or what do you recommend? I'm still not sure if I should've let those L300 LTD go.

Thank You for your help, Had advice before but it was outside of my price range since I didn't mention one.

I'd prefer sr007 2nd hand around 1000-1200 USD and Stax SRD-7(Pro) for about 200 USD.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #20,340 of 25,481
I'd prefer sr007 2nd hand around 1000-1200 USD and Stax SRD-7(Pro) for about 200 USD.
Thank you for your suggestion, I'll be on the lookout for the SR007 for hopefully one within that price range but may I ask what makes the SRD-7 special enough it can be ran with the SR007, is it because it relies on an amplifier to power it, has a lot of mods to increase performance or is it really just a great deal for the price? I'm sorry, still trying to learn everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back