The Stax Thread III
Nov 22, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #19,336 of 25,433
Ladies, I present the:

"give me 2 zip ties, and your 507 will punch the bass in your face Mod"

I don't know if it's because of my strange skull shape, but recently I noticed that when I push these places about 3-5mm towards my head, the bass is amplified enormously.

My Lambda then knocks out the bass with something intense, and punch, that I can no longer recognize the Electrostats as such.
An effect I was hoping for from the Vesper Pads.

At this point, I would like to ask other Lambda owners, to do the same, and to check whether this effect also exists for them.

Anyway.
Here is my solution for the ultimate 507 Lambda Bass.
Take 2 cable ties and fix them as follows:

The further you close the cable tie, the more intense the bass becomes.

Nerdy Lord...
Daft punk with an electrostatic killer-bass ...😍
This just means that you weren't getting a good seal before. The seal is absolutely essential for electrostatic bass.

I know this because if you had a good seal in the first place and then attempted to push them against your head even more you would get a "stax fart." Crinkle sound

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #19,337 of 25,433
So you have been listening to them with a poor seal this entire time.

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #19,338 of 25,433
Apparently older stax lamda do very bad to provide a good seal for people who have bigger head diameter but in the newer series they solve this issue by increasing the pads thickness ?don't know how true is this but I remember some one mentioned in YouTube that they will revert the pads on the 303/404/507 to get a better seal...I personally have a medium Japanese (asian) head so I get good seal with my 404LE and my 009/009S.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #19,339 of 25,433
The newer ones actually do a worse job sealing imo, at least on people with wider heads. In the original L*00 versions the earcups couldn't rotate outwards far enough and the bottom of the earpad actually would come off and create a gap. The Mk2 versions have a differently shaped y-fork that allows for more rotation, but on my melonhead it's still not quite enough. There is a better seal and comfort level than with the original but it's still not great. The older SR-404 had no such issues. Also the L*00 series have a measurable bass roll-off on nearly every system, while the older ones did have completely flat bass on at least some measurement systems, though they showed a rolloff on others. But measuring Stax is tricky and one shouldn't read too much into Stax bass measurements.

Also, not sealing has an interesting effect on sound. You get a bump in the midbass, around 60-100hz, and then a deep rolloff underneath. So if you're listening to music whose bass content is primarily in the midbass, you're actually getting more bass out of a bad seal than you will out of a good one. A lot of older Lambdas are basically diffuse-field equalized or close to it, and with diffuse field you have a totally linear bass with no harman-like bass bump, which will give you a bass that's deep but somewhat light on punch. A bad seal instead will give you a bass that's more punchy but with less deep rumble.

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #19,340 of 25,433
Yes, I think so, too.
Earlier, I removed the cable ties again to compare them again.
The difference is huge.
I was hoping for this effect from the Vesper pads. But unfortunately the bass with the Vesper pads was even worse

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #19,341 of 25,433
Apparently older stax lamda do very bad to provide a good seal for people who have bigger head diameter but in the newer series they solve this issue by increasing the pads thickness ?don't know how true is this but I remember some one mentioned in YouTube that they will revert the pads on the 303/404/507 to get a better seal...I personally have a medium Japanese (asian) head so I get good seal with my 404LE and my 009/009S.
So how does one go about getting the required Asian head?

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #19,342 of 25,433
So how does one go about getting the required Asian head?

There are certain SEA destinations that will cater to you if that is your sort of thing.

Regarding amps....what should I get for a pair of SR-007mk2's? 353X won't cut it apparently with "only" 400v RMS but I am no expert. Ideally under £2k but don't mind used.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #19,344 of 25,433
There are certain SEA destinations that will cater to you if that is your sort of thing.

Regarding amps....what should I get for a pair of SR-007mk2's? 353X won't cut it apparently with "only" 400v RMS but I am no expert. Ideally under £2k but don't mind used.

used SRM-007t aren't too expensive, or an SRD-7 hooked up to a speaker amplifier. birgir also has some amps under £2k that are a good deal stronger than the equivalently priced STAX stuff, though i've never tried any of them personally

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #19,345 of 25,433
used SRM-007t aren't too expensive, or an SRD-7 hooked up to a speaker amplifier. birgir also has some amps under £2k that are a good deal stronger than the equivalently priced STAX stuff, though i've never tried any of them personally

Am I blind or does he not post the specifications on his website?

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #19,346 of 25,433
i don't think he does :sweat_smile: best to go ask the man himself or google around; i believe KGSSHV specs have been posted before. as i don't own any nor have i tried them, i'm probably not too qualified to speak to their performance

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #19,347 of 25,433

Contact Birgir at mjolnir-audio (@spritzer on here). He has second hand stuff which he has modified and brought up to current spec and beyond. I asked him the exact same question and he sold me a modified second hand srm-717 for the same headphones which according to him is on a par with a KHSSHV and the set-up totally outclasses the LCD-4z I had.

on his website he has a section showing all his modified second hand stuff but it’s worth contacting him just to check whether he has other amps in the works. Really nice and upfront/honest guy.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #19,349 of 25,433
Hi, new here at Head-Fi but have been lurking a couple of years.

I got a Srm-323s dirt cheap as the previous owner said it didnt work. He ran it on a cheap chinese stepdown-transformer as it was wired for 100v, maybe the transformer itself was busted.
I have now rewired it for 230v (added Blue and purple on transformer, changed jumpers from 1, 3, 6 to 2, 5) and it seems to work fine except I need to crank up the volume to about 1 o'clock for normal listening volume with my Lambda Pro's. Bias voltage is ~320vdc when measured before the bias resistor (R45).

Is this normal bias for this amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back