The Stax Thread III
Sep 7, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #19,066 of 25,262
Hey guys, glad to find this Stax thread! I've had a Stax L300 Limited Edition for a while which IIRC is supposed to be equivalent to the L700, with this custom mod I did to further improve soundstage and bass. It's paired with my Stax SRM-1 MKII which, although is in good condition, to me it's just always been lacking in the bass quantity & impact, and especially in dyanmics. @Pahani I read your interest in this energiser and if you want I can sell it to you after finding a good replacement. It does have excellent detail and soundstage, but to me it's really lacking in dynamics / slam; as well as bass but I believe that's a trait of the headphone design.

I need advice on an upgrade to my SRM-1 MK2 please. My budget is no more than $1500 and I'm especially interested in the standalone transformer concept, that way I can fine-tune the sound by trying its' synergy with various speaker amps. I'm seeking a somewhat darker sound, with much improved dynamics or 'slam' to the drums, but keeping a good soundstage and detail. I'm aware of the Mjolnir SRD-7 option, but was told from other users that amp synergy is very difficult to achieve like only 2/10 pairing well.

However Mjolnir Audio has told me they're having supply issues getting Lundahl transformers, and other users told me the standard SRD-7 is not as transparent as the Lundahl version (does that go under a different model number)? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Oh, I already have an SRM-1 of my own, was just giving a little comparison to the one higher Energiser I also own.

Between Padam and Jim, you've received solid advice and more experience than I could contribute. I DO think SRM-1 is a very competent entry energiser for those with limited funds and just entering the Stax world. After that, what you desire is determined mostly by your budget (or in the case of T-2, scarcity as well).

Jim has also published a very nice DIY article that would be VERY interesting if I had any electronics experience whatsoever. I have high esteem for Jim's knowledge and opinions :)

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #19,067 of 25,262
Thanks for your advice, will look out for a good deal on those, probably leaning closer towards the 717 since you said it's a warmer sound, but hopefully not enough to make it dark or lacking detail with the L300 L.E.'s (limited edition)? And can you explain what you mean by 'diffused' (not a common term I guess)? And did you mean the feedback mod may only be useful on the likes of SR-007 - or may it have any good effect on these Lambda's too? The initial rig I heard the L300 L.E.'s on was the newer Stax SRM-D50 energiser and I was actually quite impressed, liking the sound much better than with my SRM-1 MKII. Am I correct in assuming the 717 or 727II are received as being even better than the D50?

@JimL11 looks like you agree with Padam on a few points. Do you have any opinions on my questions above too?
And that's interesting you prefer a Stax tube amp (SRM-T1). I've always thought e-stat headphones always sound better with a little tube buffer in the chain, and these have them internally. Would you mind to explain your preference for this over the 727, in what ways is it better to you? And which SRM-T1 model would you recommend?

According to Kevin Gilmore, the D50 circuit is the same as the 353 but run at lower current and lower voltage power supplies. He says the circuit of both is similar to the 717 but simplified, with resistors in place of current sources. Due to biasing issues, spritzer feels the 717 sounds too warm and the 353 too bright.

Padam has given a good description of the differences between the 727 and the unmodified T1. The CCS modification tightens the bass of the T1, extends the high end and improves the detail, clarity and and dynamics while leaving the midrange intact - overall it sounds more linear than the unmodified amp IMO. It more than doubles the effective power because the signal current is no longer being burned up in the output plate resistors. To my ears, the T1 sounds more refined than the 727, which sounds a bit coarse and gritty by comparison. A couple of my audiophile friends who have much better ears agree with me.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #19,068 of 25,262
The SRM-T1 tube amp seems interesting and could tick quite a few boxes for most of us, but for me I'd prefer a somewhat warmer sound to make up for the modestly bright of neutral sound of the L300's, and I always use a tube amp as a 'tube buffer' into my electrostat systems anyway, so that would probably correct any dryness of the SRM 727 II which is what I'm hoping to get.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #19,069 of 25,262
I would add that a used SRM-T1 series is around $600 compared to a used SRM-727II which is generally north of $1000. Parts cost for the CCS mod including replacement electrolytic caps and heatsinks is around $100 (a bit more if you use a Gilmore circuit board), and can be built in less than a day.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #19,070 of 25,262
While at CanJam NY February 2019 I had the chance to speak with Douglas from Stax and when I inquired about an update to the 007 he winked his eye.
I did not have the chance to speak with him at CanJam NY 2020 however we are now almost at 2021. Anything in the rumour mill about an 007 update?

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #19,072 of 25,262
Thanks.
I have a demo pair of 007’s coming to me this weekend. I am going to run it through its paces on my Birgir Carbon and compare it to my 009S.

I am looking to expand my Stax repertoire and try to add something new. I think I may be able to achieve a different flavor with a new pair of headphones (007) rather than an additional new amplifier. Current setup is the 009S/Carbon and L300LE/353XBK LE and I am not sure an additional amplifier will change things up enough when compared to my current amps. Carbon is totl and I do not think the BHSE will be different enough from it. Better off trying a new headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #19,073 of 25,262
Yeah, it is probably a good compliment since everything starts with the recording. And even if the people who make them would be forced to use use one particular set of headphones (speakers) as a reference point, they would still have a very different idea on how to make them.

Comparing side-by-side it is easy to declare the 009S as the winner thanks for the added clarity (which some consider to be 'artificial') but also the increased sensitivity (some may also add in the matter of cost). Without matching the two perfectly, it is difficult to do a fair comparison. To add even more fuel to the fire, they probably work best at slightly different listening levels, due to the sound signature differences.
And from the listening point-of-view, it is probably better to choose one and get accustomed to it for days, and compare it after the brain got used to all the fine nuances that go with that type of sound, when it is an A-B comparison, some of these things will start to disappear, as the brain is 'configured' for spotting differences.

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #19,076 of 25,262
The L700 and used sr007 are about the same price. How different are they? How will they differ from my l300?

L300 is more shouty with a more intimate sound presentation... L700 gets you a smoother sound with better defined low end and more pleasant treble. SR007 ups it some from the L700, adding more detail and warmer, even more present low end, though its sound presentation is more intimate than the L700.

Put it this way, I bought and sold L300's twice... keeping my L300 Limited over them every time (which extremely similar sounding to the L700 when using the L700 pads and headband assembly - you can only really tell the difference between them listening intently back to back...)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #19,077 of 25,262
Forgive me if this has been answered already but I'm considering the SR-009S with the SRM-700S. Have spotted the odd comment here and there about them being a little underwhelming together and wondered if this is the general consensus for this pairing?

Sep 12, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #19,078 of 25,262
Forgive me if this has been answered already but I'm considering the SR-009S with the SRM-700S. Have spotted the odd comment here and there about them being a little underwhelming together and wondered if this is the general consensus for this pairing?
Unfortunately there aren't that many impressions about it. But on paper, it should be very similar to the SRM-717
Might as well just get the 717 instead for three times less and save some money (Stax amps are very very reliable)
It just seems to be the sweet spot without starting to do some modifications to the amps, or spend much more on something aftermarket that is not mass-produced.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #19,079 of 25,262
Hi Guys,

as you already perhaps read in my SRM-1 MK2 upgrade thread i have some questions about my missing parts. Would be pleased if you could answer some: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-srm-1-mk2-early-a-version-missing-parts-for-upgrade.942335/

I listened today for a few hours and had the unit running with open case next to me. It was really hot in the office today (30 degree) and i decided to measure the Temperature with a infrared thermometer. All parts of the second channel (all resistors and caps with 2xx) were 20 degree hotter than the 1xx parts. Is this normal?
Also the 35v 470uf cap was over 80 degree all the time. Are this temperatures within the normal range?

BR
Andi

Sep 15, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #19,080 of 25,262
Hi, everyone!

I recentlyI bought a Stax SRM-007ta amp and the volume knob is loose. The inner part is spinning on itself, not spinning the pot. I can still control the volume with the front part but it seems there are two screws missing to tighten the knob.

Does anybody know where can I get replacement screws? If I have to buy a whole knob fine by me as well. Thanks!

Attachments

• EDF6DBB9-5FD7-4DF5-92D5-9348AB2A154A.jpeg
    EDF6DBB9-5FD7-4DF5-92D5-9348AB2A154A.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back