The Stax Thread III
Jan 4, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #18,243 of 25,433
Because none of the reviewers is benefited other than being able to participate in the loaner program so I suppose they are giving honest comments :dt880smile:

But thats only what they say so comes to the conclusion only when you heard one

Would you happen to have a frequency response graph of the ES1a? You say its for those that don't like the 009 or prefer a different flavor. I have not heard the original omega but is it safe to say it sounds more akin to the 007 than the 009 or 009S? I was never much a fan of the 009 and 009S but I love the SR-007. Thankyou for any help you may provide

Jan 4, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #18,244 of 25,433
Would you happen to have a frequency response graph of the ES1a? You say its for those that don't like the 009 or prefer a different flavor. I have not heard the original omega but is it safe to say it sounds more akin to the 007 than the 009 or 009S? I was never much a fan of the 009 and 009S but I love the SR-007. Thankyou for any help you may provide

Omega 1993 is a bright headphone. A steriod version of HD800.

It has characteristics of Sony 010 or HD800 or Utopia. It is close to a Stax 009 than 007.

Omega has amazing detail retrieval. Great natural sound to it. Omega can be fatiguing and overly bright. There is no 6K peaks or problems like that. It has a big sound and very lifelike. Basically the headphone is only design for classical music to be honest. Anything else..... meh....

If you don't like 009 or HD800 or Utopia. Than say bye bye to Omega.

I prefer the dark smooth sound of 007Mk1 over the Omega 1993. And even the HE90. Because they are warmer. But the Omega has a addiction sound that is pretty good.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #18,245 of 25,433
擷取2.JPG

Green=009
Red=omega
Blue=es1a
Brown=HE90

measured on the same system (717+ minidsp ears) , the db level of the graph of individual headphone does not correspond to the actual loudness

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #18,246 of 25,433
Very nice! But I think we kinda agree that the graph is just the beginning of it....the most important is how it would sound in real life.

I would say that you or anyone from that company, better give a sample pair to the Stax Mafia such as Kerry, Birgir, Kevin Gilmore, and ask them for an honest opinions. After all, the greatest Stax Amplifiers in the world are coming from Stax Mafia and DIY folks. They are harsh, but they are honest down to the earth, just like how anyone should be when working around these High-Voltage stuff. Be neat, honest, meticulous, precise, and respect

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #18,247 of 25,433
Very nice! But I think we kinda agree that the graph is just the beginning of it....the most important is how it would sound in real life.

I would say that you or anyone from that company, better give a sample pair to the Stax Mafia such as Kerry, Birgir, Kevin Gilmore, and ask them for an honest opinions. After all, the greatest Stax Amplifiers in the world are coming from Stax Mafia and DIY folks. They are harsh, but they are honest down to the earth, just like how anyone should be when working around these High-Voltage stuff. Be neat, honest, meticulous, precise, and respect

I don't believe in FR graph either. One can explain why a headphone sounds like that with a graph but one can never predict how a headphone sounds just with a graph on hand.

Well I am welcome if one of those stax mafias ask for a pair. I would really appreciate if they can give my headphone a fair comment (just don't take my headphone apart :triportsad:).

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #18,248 of 25,433
Omega 1993 is a bright headphone. A steriod version of HD800.

It has characteristics of Sony 010 or HD800 or Utopia. It is close to a Stax 009 than 007.

Omega has amazing detail retrieval. Great natural sound to it. Omega can be fatiguing and overly bright. There is no 6K peaks or problems like that. It has a big sound and very lifelike. Basically the headphone is only design for classical music to be honest. Anything else..... meh....

If you don't like 009 or HD800 or Utopia. Than say bye bye to Omega.

I prefer the dark smooth sound of 007Mk1 over the Omega 1993. And even the HE90. Because they are warmer. But the Omega has a addiction sound that is pretty good.

HD800 and omega might be equally bright but hd800 sounds much more harsh while omega is much more smooth and crystal clear.

But es1a is not as thick and warm as 007mk1 as I am not a big fan of 007mk1. I only use it for overly bright songs.

Jan 4, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #18,249 of 25,433
HD800 and omega might be equally bright but hd800 sounds much more harsh while omega is much more smooth and crystal clear

Yes. The omega is much smoother and definitely more cleaner. Almost zero grain. Maybe that's where the addiction is found I notice.

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #18,250 of 25,433

Green=009
Red=omega
Blue=es1a
Brown=HE90

measured on the same system (717+ minidsp ears) , the db level of the graph of individual headphone does not correspond to the actual loudness

Thankyou! Woah that is very impressive. I also do not believe that graphs tell the whole story but they at the very least can give me a very rudimentary idea and confirm something isn't completely busted.
You mention on your site that there are 2 different pad choices? Which did you use for the measurement. I am really curious to see how the other pad choice measures as well if that is not asking to much.

Jan 5, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #18,252 of 25,433
Has someone problems with a SRM600 ltd. ? I think about to buy the amp for changing my SRM006tII.
I have a L500. My first Stax.
But I heard that the SRM600 has sometimes failure...

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #18,253 of 25,433
Has someone problems with a SRM600 ltd. ? I think about to buy the amp for changing my SRM006tII.
I have a L500. My first Stax.
But I heard that the SRM600 has sometimes failure...

Spritzer, who no longer posts here, reported problems with the SRM-600 output plate resistors failing in a post at another site back in 2013. No personal experience, just passing this along. OTOH it's been another 6 years, so if the unit you are buying has survived, perhaps it's not a problem. Of course, you could always do my constant current mod, which replaces the output resistors with dual MOSFET current sources and eliminates the problem entirely, as well as improving the drive capability.

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #18,254 of 25,433
Spritzer, who no longer posts here, reported problems with the SRM-600 output plate resistors failing in a post at another site back in 2013. No personal experience, just passing this along. OTOH it's been another 6 years, so if the unit you are buying has survived, perhaps it's not a problem. Of course, you could always do my constant current mod, which replaces the output resistors with dual MOSFET current sources and eliminates the problem entirely, as well as improving the drive capability.
Ah, ok, thanks a lot.
Could you post your mod again, please (or the link) because I can‘t find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back