The Stax Thread III
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #17,551 of 25,473
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For "F" sake Staxs !! You finally got out of your basement and remade 1993 fantasy come true again!!

Welcome to 2019 staxs!!

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #17,552 of 25,473
Dear Stax,

Now we need,

More different 000 series! 011, 013, 015, lets step this up a bit, with changeable cables!!

More lower end version's! Bring back gammas, alphas, and sigmas, with changeable cables!!
Also update these versions! Enhance them, make them modern and high-end!

Make your statement product "Omega" homage to 1993
Make your flagships "000" series, with changeable cables!!

Thx
Pro"

P.S. it will be nice if you have different cable options stax!! Time to step it up please.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #17,553 of 25,473
In STAX's English page, some information of SR-L700 Mk2.

スタックス.JPG

https://stax-international.com/products/sr-l700mk2/

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #17,554 of 25,473
Who said anything about budget? Simply stating what I personally hear and pointed to another member. My single amp with iesl can power speakers, Raal SR1a, my 009, and planars. Much more versatile than being stuck with estat only no?

Lastly the main point is to point out theres options beyond KG designed amps. And isnt that the point of these forums to share what are all the options out there and not be so close minded?

Was your advice to me?

Apr 19, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #17,555 of 25,473
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #17,557 of 25,473
The Japanese retail shows the same price (148,000yen before tax) which is a nice move by Stax. Hopefully, the exchange won't play negatively elsewhere.

Apr 24, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #17,558 of 25,473
Greetings, how does stax 407 compare to stax 404 LE sound wise

Any mods for stax 407, like changing pads that improves it sound

Apr 24, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #17,560 of 25,473
No amount of modding will make the 407 sound as good as the 404le... unless you also swap the 407 drivers for 404le drivers.
knew that answer will be given :)
but how they differ

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #17,561 of 25,473
I eq bass about 6dp+ more but on some music the low frequencies causes stax fart speciall at higher volume, does higher amp (kggshv etc.) fix that to some extent ? Thank you !

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #17,562 of 25,473
Two things are happening here.

1. EQ addition will lift the digital data to above 0db level which will cause distortion and clipping. Mot modern recordings are very code to maximum 0db already.
2. The Stax panel has it's own limits on extension and dynamics. So it can reproduce a certain level of bass response and then go into distortion.

The amplifier has less of a problem with this, as has more headroom for it. A better amp won't help reduce 1 & 2, but you will get better FR and bass / dynamics generally with a better amp from a Stax amp v any of the KG amps.

If you feel you need more bass / weight / mass to the notes and generally a less light and floaty sound, look at Planars.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #17,563 of 25,473
knew that answer will be given :)
but how they differ
404le is smooth and warm, they have very thick and weighty bass (than other stax, comparatively), resemble dynamic/planer, they almost sound as dark as lcd2 but far exceed it in every technical category. I still prefer L300LE with mod and tube re-amp and loki (so out of box 404le is a better headphone). l404le sound better for EDM and similarly tuned music.
Two things are happening here.

1. EQ addition will lift the digital data to above 0db level which will cause distortion and clipping. Mot modern recordings are very code to maximum 0db already.
2. The Stax panel has it's own limits on extension and dynamics. So it can reproduce a certain level of bass response and then go into distortion.

The amplifier has less of a problem with this, as has more headroom for it. A better amp won't help reduce 1 & 2, but you will get better FR and bass / dynamics generally with a better amp from a Stax amp v any of the KG amps.

If you feel you need more bass / weight / mass to the notes and generally a less light and floaty sound, look at Planars.

Thank you very much for detailed answer, actually I am using an analog eq (loki, low shelf) with a tube pre amp to thicken the bass, I think I am hitting the limitation of the driver extension mentioned at 2. Ye I think I am looking for more dynamic bass. I agree with you in regard to planer exceptional bass. When I auditioned meze empyrean, it literately moved air, with multiple layers and layers of bass that overlap, feel like been hit by ocean waves from many directions(like literally), each bass note was still distinct from each other. :heart_eyes:

Apr 25, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #17,564 of 25,473
404le is smooth and warm, they have very thick and weighty bass (than other stax, comparatively), resemble dynamic/planer, they almost sound as dark as lcd2 but far exceed it in every technical category. I still prefer L300LE with mod and tube re-amp and loki (so out of box 404le is a better headphone). l404le sound better for EDM and similarly tuned music.

Thank you very much for detailed answer, actually I am using an analog eq (loki, low shelf) with a tube pre amp to thicken the bass, I think I am hitting the limitation of the driver extension mentioned at 2. Ye I think I am looking for more dynamic bass. I agree with you in regard to planer exceptional bass. When I auditioned meze empyrean, it literately moved air, with multiple layers and layers of bass that overlap, feel like been hit by ocean waves from many directions(like literally), each bass note was still distinct from each other. :heart_eyes:

what mod for l300le, i changed l300le pads and use l700 pads, any other mod u suggest

i had empyrean and sold it and my 007mk2 trumps it totally and nothing gives me joy as 007 mk2, i had alot of totl planars look at my inventory list, and only 2 are great he1000se and audeze mx4, but 1000se is better than mx4 so i am selling mx4

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #17,565 of 25,473
I eq bass about 6dp+ more but on some music the low frequencies causes stax fart speciall at higher volume, does higher amp (kggshv etc.) fix that to some extent ? Thank you !

The "stax fart" is caused by the dust covers. It is a crinkling sound - are you sure this is what you are hearing? Which headphone are you experiencing this with? And what amp are you using (which could be clipping if you are forcing it to do things it can't)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back