The Stax Thread III
Feb 20, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #17,176 of 25,464
The more I listen to them the more I'm stunned and mesmerized by their sound. The L300 Limited just isn't special compared to the SR-404 Limited. I now understand why the SR-404 Limited is beloved, and it's one I can never see myself parting with. I will be able to let go of the L300 Limited with no regrets though, especial if the upcoming Kaldas Research RR 1 is able to take it's place.

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #17,177 of 25,464
And I'm incredibly bummed right now... turned on my STAX rig, let it warm up playing music, fell asleep for a bit then woke up and wanted to listen. Put on the 404 Limiteds and immediately sound seems REALLY off (still not fully awake)... listen after the initial shock and seemingly no sound coming from left driver. Listen closer and there is sound, just really low compared to right driver. Was absolutely perfect last night when I turned it off. Turn system off, unplug, discharge with finger replug, turn system back on... same thing. Use RME to switch to mono and go to balance to see about centering the balance. Able to get sound balanced/centered with 67 of 100 Left offset dialed in... yowzers lot of offset correction! From perfectly centered to having to offset 67 steps to the Left overnight... I just can't listen right now to it...too depressed. Guess I need to try out the L300 Limiteds too... just don't feel like it right now...:triportsad:

Update: just put them on again after typing this out.... rebalancing needed at 82/100 Left...

Update 2: went ahead and tried the L300 Limiteds... perfectly balanced at center. Switched back to 404 Limiteds... 82/100 left balance required... am really sad now...

Update 3: balance back to 67/100 after shutting down and discharging the right side and reconnecting. Listening to Venus Hum 'The Colors in the Wheel' album and just weeping at how beautiful it is on the 404 Limiteds. I don't know how long they will last, but I will absolutely cherish every remaining listen they have in them. Hopefully the RR 1 has some of the magic these things have and can be a suitable replacement for them when they eventually 'die'...

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #17,179 of 25,464
IMG_20190220_090847.jpg
My friend is selling Libratum v3 and SRM-007mk2 230V for 2000 euros+shipping ,if interested drop PM

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #17,180 of 25,464
And I'm incredibly bummed right now... turned on my STAX rig, let it warm up playing music, fell asleep for a bit then woke up and wanted to listen. Put on the 404 Limiteds and immediately sound seems REALLY off (still not fully awake)... listen after the initial shock and seemingly no sound coming from left driver. Listen closer and there is sound, just really low compared to right driver. Was absolutely perfect last night when I turned it off. Turn system off, unplug, discharge with finger replug, turn system back on... same thing. Use RME to switch to mono and go to balance to see about centering the balance. Able to get sound balanced/centered with 67 of 100 Left offset dialed in... yowzers lot of offset correction! From perfectly centered to having to offset 67 steps to the Left overnight... I just can't listen right now to it...too depressed. Guess I need to try out the L300 Limiteds too... just don't feel like it right now...:triportsad:

Update: just put them on again after typing this out.... rebalancing needed at 82/100 Left...

Update 2: went ahead and tried the L300 Limiteds... perfectly balanced at center. Switched back to 404 Limiteds... 82/100 left balance required... am really sad now...

Update 3: balance back to 67/100 after shutting down and discharging the right side and reconnecting. Listening to Venus Hum 'The Colors in the Wheel' album and just weeping at how beautiful it is on the 404 Limiteds. I don't know how long they will last, but I will absolutely cherish every remaining listen they have in them. Hopefully the RR 1 has some of the magic these things have and can be a suitable replacement for them when they eventually 'die'...

What amp are you using - and how are using measuring the balance and offset?

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #17,181 of 25,464

Damn, that's a real bummer. I wonder if you sent them to Stax, would they still service them. I guess it never hurts to shoot them a email and ask first.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #17,182 of 25,464
What amp are you using - and how are using measuring the balance and offset?

I'm using NAD C275BEE stereo amp with Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 transformer and RME ADI-2 DAC is used as DAC/preamp volume control. The ADI-2 allows for balance adjustment 100 steps left and 100 steps right. I just set the RME output to mono in menu and then adjusted balance in menu as needed to center the audio, took 67 of the 100 left adjustments . I got the 404 Limiteds in last Friday and there was no balance issue with them at all until last night. My L300 Limiteds I've used for not quite a year are perfectly fine and balanced in the center ( <c> indicator).

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #17,183 of 25,464
I'm using NAD C275BEE stereo amp with Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 transformer and RME ADI-2 DAC is used as DAC/preamp volume control. The ADI-2 allows for balance adjustment 100 steps left and 100 steps right. I just set the RME output to mono in menu and then adjusted balance in menu as needed to center the audio, took 67 of the 100 left adjustments . I got the 404 Limiteds in last Friday and there was no balance issue with them at all until last night. My L300 Limiteds I've used for not quite a year are perfectly fine and balanced in the center ( <c> indicator).

I see - misread your earlier post - I don't have much to add here.

Feb 21, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #17,184 of 25,464
Staxs better step up their game! There are many upcoming electrostatic players out there these days! If they just only release lambdas and Omegas they will be outdated eventually!

Dear Staxs,

You got to start releasing upgraded versions to your old products or bring in 'NEW' line ups!

Stax Updated:

Staxs Alpha/Gamma SE
Staxs Sigma X
Staxs 4070 SE
Staxs Omega Mass-drop edition

New line ups:

Stax Galaxy
Stax Diety
Stax Force :L3000:

Thx
Pro

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #17,186 of 25,464
+1,

they are really nice. as a committed monogamist, i sold mine to help pay for my 009.

randomly wondering these days if i should get a T2 (which would entail selling my BHSE)

Probably not. I prefer my bass port modded 007A + SRM-D50 to a 009S + T8000 by quite a wide margin.

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #17,187 of 25,464
Took people 30 years and still have yet to reach the level, or appreciate, or understand Stax. I don’t think Stax need to do anything at the moment

Couldn't agree more with your comment. I have friends who come over and listen to my Stax collection. Then go to local department store asking sales clerk if they stock Stax Hahaha.

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #17,188 of 25,464
Took people 30 years and still have yet to reach the level, or appreciate, or understand Stax. I don’t think Stax need to do anything at the moment

Do you mean 30 years for mainstream to understand staxs supreme audio quailty? If yes? Well 30yrs for present time is like 1 year of development. They need more products across the range like 'Chifiman' :p still !

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #17,189 of 25,464
Just as added information on the imbalance, the RME ADI-2 DAC channel level meters show 10dB higher on the left versus the right with current balance correction... so yeah, the left driver of the 404 Limited I have is about 10dB down from the right driver. And for situations like this is exactly why I wanted the RME ADI-2 DAC... because it can EQ L and R channels independantly. So I can make a 404LE profile where I drop the R channel about 10dB down across the board and balance gets pushed back to center without much, if any, balance offset adjustment actually needed.

Update: and just from playing around with the dual EQ on the RME the imbalance issue is gone for now... electrostats are WEIRD sometimes! LOL Back to almost naturally balanced with no dual EQ needed at all, just a tad bit of balance correction Left of 5/100. Whatever the reason, I'm glad it's basically back to what it was when I first got it!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #17,190 of 25,464
My L500's developed an imbalance through the 353

Drove me insane - it was a wandering one - would need constant adjustment.

Switched over to the balanced inputs and everything is perfect

:S

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back