The Stax Thread III
Dec 28, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #16,966 of 25,261
Don't have L700, but have next closest thing in an L700 modded L300 Limited. Started off with SRM-323S then went to Mjolnir SRD-7 transformer + NAD C275BEE stereo amp based setup because already had the amp in use for my HT mains. Noticeable improvement in low end subbass impact, midbass punch, fullness of sound, and smoothness while everything else pretty much stays the same for clarity, detail, speed, etc... Brand new the NAD C275BEE amp runs ~$1,300 and Mjolnir SRD-7 around $740 shipped. Will just need some way to control volume better than the rear gain adjustment - I use the RME ADI-2 DAC for preamp volume control.

Pics:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-kPqJXCR/0/7342bfef/X4/i-kPqJXCR-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-rpBHwSn/0/83849f46/X4/i-rpBHwSn-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-T9FXhnN/0/43de842a/X4/i-T9FXhnN-X4.jpg

I think any decent 2 Channel stereo amp used with a Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 will be a noticeable improvement over the SRM-323S/353X for much less than the specialized custom STAX amps.

Interesting - I've wondered about the Mjolnir energizer. I tried a Woo WEE once and hated it. But I do have a nice Hegel integrated I could hook the Mjolnir energizer to. Or maybe get the Mjolnir Octave III power amp and us the Hegel as a preamp.

Dec 28, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #16,967 of 25,261
Interesting - I've wondered about the Mjolnir energizer. I tried a Woo WEE once and hated it. But I do have a nice Hegel integrated I could hook the Mjolnir energizer to. Or maybe get the Mjolnir Octave III power amp and us the Hegel as a preamp.

I'd imagine a Mjolnir SRD-7 + Hegel integrated would be a very nice combo... the amp is what really shapes their sound. With an SRD-7 electrostat transformer you have the ability to pair whatever amp you want, so if you want to experiment it's just a matter of connecting a different amp. I originally wanted the prototype Octave III Birgir had, but it was spoken for when I emailed him so I asked him about the SRD-7 and decided to go that route. He has a nice one-off special SRD-7 he made that is listed on this page, 4th from bottom:

https://mjolnir-audio.com/used-amplifiers/

Dec 29, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #16,968 of 25,261
I listened to that combo for about a year and loved it. I to began wondering what the bottleneck was. I upgraded to a BHSE and was really impressed. I later picked up a 009S and found the upgrade to BHSE from 353X to be way more significant than the L700 to the 009S. L700 scales up _very_ nicely from a 353X. I can't speak specifically for the Woo GES unfortunately.

The 009Ss are great, but when the gf wants to listen too I'm very happy using the L700s and letting her use the 009Ss (she claims they fit her better :wink: ).

Thanks for your impression, though my wallet is silently giving you the finger!
Don't have L700, but have next closest thing in an L700 modded L300 Limited. Started off with SRM-323S then went to Mjolnir SRD-7 transformer + NAD C275BEE stereo amp based setup because already had the amp in use for my HT mains. Noticeable improvement in low end subbass impact, midbass punch, fullness of sound, and smoothness while everything else pretty much stays the same for clarity, detail, speed, etc... Brand new the NAD C275BEE amp runs ~$1,300 and Mjolnir SRD-7 around $740 shipped. Will just need some way to control volume better than the rear gain adjustment - I use the RME ADI-2 DAC for preamp volume control.

Pics:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-kPqJXCR/0/7342bfef/X4/i-kPqJXCR-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-rpBHwSn/0/83849f46/X4/i-rpBHwSn-X4.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Audio/n-6fh3fz/i-T9FXhnN/0/43de842a/X4/i-T9FXhnN-X4.jpg

I think any decent 2 Channel stereo amp used with a Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 will be a noticeable improvement over the SRM-323S/353X for much less than the specialized custom STAX amps.

Ohhhhh...I'm actually eyeballing the RME DAC myself. Plan to do lots more research before I jump into anything, of course.

Dec 29, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #16,969 of 25,261
Thanks for your impression, though my wallet is silently giving you the finger!

Ohhhhh...I'm actually eyeballing the RME DAC myself. Plan to do lots more research before I jump into anything, of course.

Just keep in mind that DAC upgrades usually make less of a difference than amp upgrades :wink:

Dec 29, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #16,970 of 25,261
Different as in?

Same level of detail and soundstage but slightly more low end.
That why I need someone with both to confirm. Could be just my ears adjusting to new gear.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #16,971 of 25,261
That why I need someone with both to confirm. Could be just my ears adjusting to new gear.

It could also be old pads vs new pads. Not sure how it is on the 009 but pad wear affects the sound on the 007 a lot. If swapping pads isn't too much of a pain in the rear, you can swap them around and test.

Dec 30, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #16,972 of 25,261

Yes i have the same experience and i think the reason are the deeper pads of the SR-009 BK and as result a little bit more "boomy" bass with a small amount of more distortion. Over the time and after some hours burn in and pads subside we will see further.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #16,974 of 25,261
I would be interested in reading more words about S vs. orig, and what specifically you mean by "more transparent", e.g., can you hear more space between performers, etc. Thx!

In my experience the standard SR-009 has a deeper soundstage, there are more layers. This results in more air around voices and instruments and you can hear all details of the recording room.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #16,975 of 25,261
Agree on soundstage. And I find the 009S' timbre a little bit too dark for my liking (of course this is only in comparison with the old 009, I'm not saying 009S is dark sounding), with less details on higher harmonics But this could very well be because I'm used to 009 and/or my setup is tuned around the 009.

At the end, I think the most distinctive characteristic between the two queens is the bass level. If you think your 009 with your current setup is a little bit too bright, you will find (maybe) 009S just perfect. If you think (like me) 009 is perfect with your current setup, you will find (maybe) 009S to be too "bassy". Everything else (soundstage, highs details, etc..) is just a consequence.

Of course the above is just IMVVVVVVHO :)

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #16,976 of 25,261
I would be interested in reading more words about S vs. orig, and what specifically you mean by "more transparent", e.g., can you hear more space between performers, etc. Thx!
When I was at Akiharbara with my wife. She has zero experience with anything related to audio gear. I had a blindfold on her and asked her which headphone she liked more between the S and the non S. 5/5 times she prefered the non S. When I ask her why. She just said I don't know. The non S just seem clearer. I can hear more things going on.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #16,977 of 25,261
She asked me why the S is more expensive?
Personal taste I guess.
SR-009 https://imgur.com/a/TQ6zpyI

To me I personally prefer the SR-009 over the SR-009S. Even to untrained ears like my wife you can easily tell the difference. You lose wider soundstage, airyness & microdetails for a noticeable warmth / bass bump.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #16,978 of 25,261
In my experience the standard SR-009 has a deeper soundstage, there are more layers. This results in more air around voices and instruments and you can hear all details of the recording room.
009S is dark sounding), with less details on higher harmonics
You lose wider soundstage, airyness & microdetails for a noticeable warmth / bass bump.
Ah, gentlemen, these are comments that I can really understand and can relate to my own experiences in the audio world. I am a bit surprised. My impression of the 009 is that it is the king of retrieving details to give the illusion of sound stage with air between instruments (by differentiating direct from reverberant sound) and micro details (like a rosined bow sticking and slipping along a violin string). I thought that Stax had very successfully evolved in that direction over the decades, and I *wondered* if the 009s was yet another step in that direction. 'Apparently not, based on your comments. Thanks so much!

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #16,979 of 25,261
On the other hand I’ve gone from the 009 to the 00S which I find less fatiguing over time. I’m happy to sacrifice the last ounce of detail for greater musicality imho. I still find all the detail there, just “ less in yer face”.

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #16,980 of 25,261
Does anyone have any new information or impressions on Spritzer's Octave 2? It's supposedly his lowest-power offering, at 15 watt input, while at the same time having more output power than almost all of Stax's amps. Priced at $1300, it sounds like extremely good value given those specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back