The Stax Thread III
Dec 14, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #16,861 of 25,421
Assuming you are asking about SRM-D10 from Stax ?

According to the picture below, there is a line in 3.5mm. If som you will need Amp1 for SE line-out, but as I know it...regular Amp1 ...suck, period. May want to buy an upgraded Amp1 like Amp1Titanium mimic ?

Yes, the SRM-D10

How about with the Line Out on AMP7 to the D10?

Or would it be possible to connect from the USB C-Type on the top of the DX200 to the Micro USB on the SRM-D10. Is this possible?

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #16,862 of 25,421
Yes, the SRM-D10

How about with the Line Out on AMP7 to the D10?

Or would it be possible to connect from the USB C-Type on the top of the DX200 to the Micro USB on the SRM-D10. Is this possible?

I am afraid USB-C on the DX200 does not have that connection to do Analog out. The Amp7 is something I don’t have, so I can’t confirm for you. But I see no problem of using it as a line out

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #16,863 of 25,421
Travel gear

I had to travel from London to HK today and wanted to convince you that SR007 together with d10 is ideal for travellers. Could not sleep hence this teaser.
In the past I used to travel w LCD-X or 4 together with Hugo 2. This was good but too heavy. SR007 is at least as musical with D10 as the above combo and (interestingly) more stable.
From a sound pespective next to nothing. Yes I know SR009S is slighly better, but at the same time less stable, hence for me less suited than sr7. My other current companion is Andromeda - really worth a try. I still have my obravo eamt-1c, which again is slightly better for a roughly quadruple price.
As evidence my today’s travel gear
Quoted the wrong person. I should have asked you the question regarding your DX200 and your SRM-D10. Did you use the 3.5 Line Out of AMP1 to the 3.5 Line In on the D10?

Dec 14, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #16,864 of 25,421
The Lambda signature with oval pads i consider as the best Stax phone ever made.Soundstage not far behind HD-800,midrange cleaner than Stax Omega,more open than 007,more musical than 009,it has quite tight deep bass.Transparency best of all Staxes,easy to drive,stunning results even with 252s.:)).But all this only with right pads wich you see from the picture IMG_2400.jpg IMG_2401.jpg

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #16,866 of 25,421
Sorry i think I've confused "driver unit" with "energizer". Or vice versa.

The driver unit/energizer that I'm getting is srm-252s.
I got confused as this unit was referred as both driver unit and energizer.

I've put the orders in for srs-3100 (L300 + srm-252s) due to great deal.

The shop owner told me that the power supply for the amp (srm-252s) would be using voltage that meets our standard (Australian, 230V). So I won't be needing transformers as I can plug it directly to the wall outlet/surge protector.

I have a existing JDS EL DAC that I'll be using it for USB and optical inputs. As of right now, I don't plan to connect other amp or speaker with this setup.

Is this a wrong setup?

From what I've seen, the UK retailers seem to call them energizers. But if you look on Stax's official site (in Japanese), they never call them energizers at all, but instead are referred to as "driver units."

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #16,867 of 25,421
It should be called “drivers units” because it is really what driving the headphones itself. This is what I have always said, Stax headphones is more amp dependent due to how the amp is doing everything where as dynamic headphones such as HD800s already have a huge magnet in itself

Dec 16, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #16,868 of 25,421
Latest toy. One of these components will never leave my possession...

The BHSE sounds so different than the Carbon. It's such a difference that I'll need to listen to the BHSE for several weeks to form an opinion/preference. Neither is clearly better than the other. This with the 009. Will listen to the 007 only after I have a good handle on my preferences with the 009.

The Carbon's strengths bludgeon you with a sledgehammer. The soundstage is majestic. I think the BHSE is a slower love affair. But no less worth the wait.

The early takeaway is that Doug is a magician. Whatever you put after the Walnut V, you can be assured it will never be the bottleneck. I'm not sure how many are out in the wild, but it's not enough.

9939260.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #16,869 of 25,421
XWS1vaS.jpg

When the DHL man feels like Santa on Christmas morning!

Dec 17, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #16,872 of 25,421
Latest toy. One of these components will never leave my possession...

The BHSE sounds so different than the Carbon. It's such a difference that I'll need to listen to the BHSE for several weeks to form an opinion/preference. Neither is clearly better than the other. This with the 009. Will listen to the 007 only after I have a good handle on my preferences with the 009.

The Carbon's strengths bludgeon you with a sledgehammer. The soundstage is majestic. I think the BHSE is a slower love affair. But no less worth the wait.

The early takeaway is that Doug is a magician. Whatever you put after the Walnut V, you can be assured it will never be the bottleneck. I'm not sure how many are out in the wild, but it's not enough.

9939260.jpeg

Curious about the Walnut. How does it sound/not sound?

Dec 17, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #16,873 of 25,421
Curious about the Walnut. How does it sound/not sound?

That was my walnut before it was his. I thought it was a really nice in between the bright Yggy and warm Pavane. I actually preferred it to those 2 dac's. It served me well for over a year before I sold it. Had it not been for the game changing Eitr I would still own it. The Eitr makes the Sony das-R1 and R1a cheap and easy to run and the prices on the R1 and R1a are scary cheap if you know where to shop.

I preferred the R1 to the R1a using Eitr. The Phillips chip (R1) was a little cleaner and crisper to my ears. The Sony chip (R1a) was a bit more musical but a bit too warm for my set up.

Doug was actually going to build me a higher end dac using the famed Phillips tda 1541. It was going to be just north of $3k. I got both Sony dac's lovingly packaged and shipped from Japan for under $2k.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #16,874 of 25,421
When the DHL man feels like Santa on Christmas morning!

Where did you buy it from. So quickly, it was only released on the 13th which is like 14th over in the US.

Anyway mine came in today. Was shipped from Japan Ikebe Music on the 14th Friday. Arrived today 18th.
lMVyTSL.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #16,875 of 25,421
Hey guys, I've just received my srs-3100 set with L700 pads/arc assembly though, I was wondering if the L700 pads are really compatible with L300?

I've tried snapping the L700 pads onto the L300 (just like stock L300 pads) however, it wouldn't "snap on" like the L300 pads. Instead, I had to apply massive force to make it "stick" to the earspeakers.
I mean, I literally had to push the earspeaker against the table to apply adequate force. I did what the instructions said (i.e. lining yellow seal with the triangle engraving on the earspeaker) and yet, I feel like the L700 pads didn't snap on easily like L300 pads did.
Thank God that the plastic housings (?) of the earspeakers are durable enough that it didn't bend or snap in any way but still, I was very scared during the process.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchases. Although I've demoed L300 at my local audio shop and knew how they sounded, it was completely a difference experience. There's so much detail, clarity, excellent imaging and very fast. I've never listened to such headphone/earspeaker in my life!
Now I don't think I can go back to dynamic headphones. Maybe I'll try planar magnetic headphones in the future. but for now, I'm extremely satisfied with my srs-3100 set with L700 pads.

Thank you very much for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back