The Stax Thread III
Dec 8, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #16,831 of 25,262
Yep, should be good to go! Stax energisers have RCA pass-throughs, so you can easily add them into your existing audio chain. Just need 1 more pair of RCAs.

example: JDS -> Stax252S -> (your current amp)

Oh, this is new to me. I didn't know you could use other amp to hook up with DAC and Stax energizer.

I thought you only need a DAC to hook up with Stax energizer which, the latter is already a dedicated amp for earspeaker.

Is there any reason to use other amp for creating 3-way audio chain?

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #16,832 of 25,262
Oh, this is new to me. I didn't know you could use other amp to hook up with DAC and Stax energizer.

I thought you only need a DAC to hook up with Stax energizer which, the latter is already a dedicated amp for earspeaker.

No, the idea is that if you have an amplifier - speaker system, you can insert your Stax amp into the chain to drive the headphones. So, the idea is:

source -> Stax amp (ON) -> Stax headphones
pass through -> speaker amp (OFF) -> speakers
or

source -> Stax amp (OFF, pass through) -> speaker amp -> speakers

In other words, the source goes to both the Stax amp and passes through to the speaker amp, then depending on which amp is on, you either listen to the Stax or the speakers.

Dec 8, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #16,834 of 25,262
The Stax amp or any amp with loop outs (pass through) can be on or off for the other device to work. I think you are confusing him with the on/off thing.

Possibly. So to put it another way, the physical chain is:

source -> Stax amp -> speaker amp (via loop-out) -> speakers. The Stax amp is connected to the Stax headphones.

Then, to listen to the headphones, the Stax amp is on, the speaker amp is off, so the listening chain is:

source -> Stax amp -> headphones.

You don't want the speaker amp on, otherwise you will hear the speakers through the headphones.

To listen to the speakers, the Stax amp is off, the speaker amp is on, and the chain is:

source -> Stax amp -> (think of the loop-out as another cable) -> speaker amp -> speakers.

Hope this makes it clearer.

Dec 8, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #16,837 of 25,262

STAX energizers (as opposed to dedicated STAX amplifiers) require an existing speaker amplifier to increase both voltage and current to usable levels for the energizer to function as designed. Simply running the energizer off the DAC low line level outputs won’t work.

Here’s the wiring diagram from the Woo Wee website. As you can see the energizer works after the amp, and parallel to the speakers. Source components input into the speaker amp.

B41EEF84-49DE-4B4B-8585-68FCBE743D64.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #16,838 of 25,262
Hope this makes it clearer.

Thanks for the clarification. That was very easy to understand.

STAX energizers (as opposed to dedicated STAX amplifiers) require an existing speaker amplifier to increase both voltage and current to usable levels for the energizer to function as designed. Simply running the energizer off the DAC low line level outputs won’t work.

Just to confirm, this is for line output from energizer right? The input should have no problem pairing with a desktop DAC to listen to L300?

If I do intend to use a speaker along with L300, than I should be getting a suitable speaker amplifier to pair with the energizer like JimL11 have explained, correct?

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #16,839 of 25,262
Do you have or plan to get:

#1) STAX Energizer
#2) STAX Drive Unit

#1) Is a voltage boost device to be used with a speaker amp, Takes its input from a standard speaker amp output and with a transformer passively jumps the voltage up to be able to drive electrostatic headphones.

#2) is a stand alone dedicated amp. Takes it’s input at line level (DAC, etc) and actively provides a large voltage gain to be able to drive electrostatic headphones.

Each are very different in purpose, design, execution, and connection.

Do you have model number or photo of what you intend to use?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #16,840 of 25,262

..ok I found now, never knew that the 252 has a parallel out, odd considering that I had it for 1 year :deadhorse:

Stax-SRM-252S_03.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #16,841 of 25,262
Do you have or plan to get:

#1) STAX Energizer
#2) STAX Drive Unit

#1) Is a voltage boost device to be used with a speaker amp, Takes its input from a standard speaker amp output and with a transformer passively jumps the voltage up to be able to drive electrostatic headphones.

#2) is a stand alone dedicated amp. Takes it’s input at line level (DAC, etc) and actively provides a large voltage gain to be able to drive electrostatic headphones.

Each are very different in purpose, design, execution, and connection.

Do you have model number or photo of what you intend to use?

Sorry i think I've confused "driver unit" with "energizer". Or vice versa.

The driver unit/energizer that I'm getting is srm-252s.
I got confused as this unit was referred as both driver unit and energizer.

I've put the orders in for srs-3100 (L300 + srm-252s) due to great deal.

The shop owner told me that the power supply for the amp (srm-252s) would be using voltage that meets our standard (Australian, 230V). So I won't be needing transformers as I can plug it directly to the wall outlet/surge protector.

I have a existing JDS EL DAC that I'll be using it for USB and optical inputs. As of right now, I don't plan to connect other amp or speaker with this setup.

Is this a wrong setup?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 9, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #16,842 of 25,262

..ok I found now, never knew that the 252 has a parallel out, odd considering that I had it for 1 year :deadhorse:

Not an Energizer. That is a Driver Unit, says so under the model number. Different animals.

Sorry i think I've confused "driver unit" to "energizer". Or vice versa.

I've put the orders in for srs-3100 due to great deal (see my previous post).

The shop owner told me that the power supply for the amp (srs-252s) would be using voltage that meets our standard (Australian, 230V). So I won't be needing transformers as I can plug it directly to the wall outlet/surge protector.

I have a existing JDS EL DAC that I'll be using it for USB and optical inputs. As of right now, I don't plan to connect other amp or speaker with this setup.

Is this a wrong setup?

Yes, I see now you confused terminology. You are intending to use a STAX Driver Unit, not an Energizer.

Look to others’ excellent advice on connecting above.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #16,843 of 25,262
Sorry i think I've confused "driver unit" with "energizer". Or vice versa.

The driver unit/energizer that I'm getting is srm-252s.
I got confused as this unit was referred as both driver unit and energizer.

I've put the orders in for srs-3100 (L300 + srm-252s) due to great deal.

The shop owner told me that the power supply for the amp (srm-252s) would be using voltage that meets our standard (Australian, 230V). So I won't be needing transformers as I can plug it directly to the wall outlet/surge protector.

Is this a wrong setup?

Is the el dac going to be the source? If so then there is no reason for the loop outs in the srm-252s. Personally I think you should add a little vintage japan 2 channel setup to your stax/jds setup. Or maybe a complimentary dynamic headphone setup.

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #16,844 of 25,262
Is the el dac going to be the source? If so then there is no reason for the loop outs in the srm-252s. Personally I think you should add a little vintage japan 2 channel setup to your stax/jds setup. Or maybe a complimentary dynamic headphone setup.

Yes, EL DAC is going to be the source.
Could you explain what "liltte vintage Japan 2 channel" is?

Dec 9, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #16,845 of 25,262
Yes, EL DAC is going to be the source.
Could you explain what "liltte vintage Japan 2 channel" is?

A 2 channel speaker setup. Stax is from Japan so it would tie in with the rest of your setup. The stuff from Japan used to be hard to get but thanks to yahoo.jp and acupwr it is quite easy and affordable nowadays. Russia and where you are from are the only 2 countries that were able to get their hands on a decent amount of it so you might get lucky and find a domestic deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back