The Stax Thread III
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #16,666 of 25,429
the D10 is a very different design from the d50. unfortunately it has limited voltage swing, so it won't play as loud, but it is actually push pull so it has a better high end.
The D10 with sr-002 and the shure kse1500 are my favorite portable electrostatics. Both beat the koss and kingsound by a wide margin.
See elsewhere for pictures on the new monoprice electrostatic portable. Absolutely awful and a waste of money.

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #16,667 of 25,429
Since almost no one on this board seems to have heard the SRM-D50 I'd appreciate any actual impressions of it, especially in comparison to the lower KG designs, i.e. KGSS/KGSShv.
If anyone has insights into the technical merits of the SRM-D50, that would also be helpful. Does it have a regulated psu? How is the output stage designed?

I'm a beginner when it comes to understanding electrostatic headphone amplifiers, but I would like to better understand what choices Stax made when they built this unit.

I listened to the d50 and the d10 that I then bought, I also have a carbon.
The d50 is a clever solution to enter the Stax world, has a decent dac, albeit with a low gain and a powerful and cheeky amplification section.
Certainly the performances of the Carbon + Merging Nadac are not discussed, they are the top, but they cost 15 times more.

4785dd10.jpg

Nov 14, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #16,668 of 25,429
the D10 is a very different design from the d50. unfortunately it has limited voltage swing, so it won't play as loud, but it is actually push pull so it has a better high end.
The D10 with sr-002 and the shure kse1500 are my favorite portable electrostatics. Both beat the koss and kingsound by a wide margin.
See elsewhere for pictures on the new monoprice electrostatic portable. Absolutely awful and a waste of money.

That's good to know, thanks!

How would the SRM-D10 compare to the SRM-323S? I have the latter and listen at what apparently are low volumes (only 2-3 out of 10 on the volume dial when listening to Google Play Music via an ODAC).

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #16,669 of 25,429
Nov 14, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #16,670 of 25,429
The Law of Increasing Returns?

I would recommend getting a demo somehow with a KG amp, then use your own ears. Advice on here is great. but that will be the only way you can decide for yourself wether the cost of a better amp matches the performance increase you expect. No point in pushing back until you hear it. Maybe at a local meet or a buddy near you? Or be bold and just buy a used KG amp. You can always sell it after for probably no loss, as long as it is well built and in good condition. That is my advice. I will bet you won't sell it mind. I left the Stax amps a long time ago...

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #16,671 of 25,429
We can be pleased that Stax did these two products: D10 & D50. High quality design and product. With integrated dac and acceptable prices + Guarantee.
Extremely balanced and transparent sound.
Make a blind test with other combinations of amplifiers and dacs, and you'll be surprised with the result.
Both amplifiers have very little of their own sound. That's the biggest advantage.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #16,672 of 25,429
We can be pleased that Stax did these two products: D10 & D50. High quality design and product. With integrated dac and acceptable prices + Guarantee.
Extremely balanced and transparent sound.
Make a blind test with other combinations of amplifiers and dacs, and you'll be surprised with the result.
Both amplifiers have very little of their own sound. That's the biggest advantage.

They are great and I have both of them in house. The D50 is a completed package and does benefit from even better source. Still, I find it was easy to discern the improvement from my Headamp Aristaeus and KGSSHV Carbon. The improvement is very immediate. Still at an asking price, the D50 is really a good deal.

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #16,674 of 25,429
.....IMO the D50 is a really good deal.....and with the SR-009S it sounds fantastic

Here a video from me...it's in German because my English is not the best LOL

NOMAX

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #16,675 of 25,429
.....IMO the D50 is a really good deal.....and with the SR-009S it sounds fantastic

Here a video from me...it's in German because my English is not the best LOL

NOMAX

yes, I agree, I had a good impression of the combo d50 + 009S!
I do not understand these negative comments on Stax products and why we recommend anyway regardless of alternative products, the people who make these comments have listened to this D50, or speak because so wants the Mafia Stax?
Let's talk about a dac / amp that takes home a little more than 1000 €.

Nov 15, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #16,676 of 25,429
about kg design amplifiers, for example, for me it´s impossible to listen an amplifier where i live. for miracle(thanks to portugues distributor), i could hear the 009 with the top tube stax amplifier

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #16,679 of 25,429
yes, I agree, I had a good impression of the combo d50 + 009S!
I do not understand these negative comments on Stax products and why we recommend anyway regardless of alternative products, the people who make these comments have listened to this D50, or speak because so wants the Mafia Stax?
Let's talk about a dac / amp that takes home a little more than 1000 €.

I am glad that Stax bring both the D10, and D50 to the table. Though not perfect, they are indeed very versatile and well priced products. Sound wise, the KGSSHV is significantly better. I was wanting to buy both the D10 and D50 when I have them here at home for the audition. Thank goodness, common sense did prevail. If you already have a really good DAC, I would by pass the D50 internal DAC or go with the 353x or better jump to the KGSSHV from mjolnir. One can buy a KGSShV for less than $2500 these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back