The Stax Thread III
Jul 10, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #15,527 of 25,472
There was a very early SR009 revision, where the circular plate surrounding the transducers was different (it is visibly yellow in the later ones if you look at the grill towards the edges) and about 1.5 years ago there were two revisions to the wooden box as well (now identical to the SR-009S box), they may have improved the headband mounts.
Probably no changes in terms of sound quality though.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #15,528 of 25,472
If I remember correctly in his carbon review Bob Katz also talked about this a bit.

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #15,530 of 25,472
Stax seems to make more revisions to their headphones than Beckham changing his boots.

On a side note, my 007 mk1 are still in transit from Germany to New Zealand with Deutschland post. It's been 2 weeks. German efficiency seems to be on the decline these days, must be the aftermath of the World Cup performance.

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #15,531 of 25,472
Despite all of these revisions a consistently reliable 009 family of headphones is still elusive..

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #15,532 of 25,472
Stax seems to make more revisions to their headphones than Beckham changing his boots.

On a side note, my 007 mk1 are still in transit from Germany to New Zealand with Deutschland post. It's been 2 weeks. German efficiency seems to be on the decline these days, must be the aftermath of the World Cup performance.

That is what opened border do to you :D lol, joking ofcourse. Revisions are just circulated around by words of mouths, no official announcements. The variety of anything man-made are always there and existed anyways

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #15,533 of 25,472
Hi sorry if this is not the right place to post. I bought this SRM-313 on Yahoo Japan and was wondering if I need/ should or should not convert the voltage to 100 Volts (I currently live in the US).
The labels are somehow confusing; it was previously used in Japan so I am not sure what to do with the 117V markings ....
I do not want to damage the amp, if someone knows how to check what voltage would work this would be really appreciated (!)
And sorry if this was already asked plenty of times but I did search and did not really find the answer
Thanks ! :)
93e4d3.jpg

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #15,534 of 25,472
Yes, you need to convert it to 117 volts, because the Japanese AC voltage (100V) is lower than the US (120V), so if you plug it into a US AC socket, the internal voltages will be 20% higher, which could damage the electronics. I think the way to do it is to carefully pry off the plastic covering with the arrow (which is pointing down), turn it 180 degrees so the arrow is pointing up instead of down, and then plug it back in.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #15,537 of 25,472
Hi sorry if this is not the right place to post. I bought this SRM-313 on Yahoo Japan and was wondering if I need/ should or should not convert the voltage to 100 Volts (I currently live in the US).
The labels are somehow confusing; it was previously used in Japan so I am not sure what to do with the 117V markings ....
I do not want to damage the amp, if someone knows how to check what voltage would work this would be really appreciated (!)
And sorry if this was already asked plenty of times but I did search and did not really find the answer
Thanks ! :)
How was it buying from Yahoo Japan? I've been interested in a few items; but I'm not sure I trust the site.

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #15,539 of 25,472
So I'm trying to get my first Stax setup and I have pretty much settled on the 009S earspeaker to begin with (I would also want to pick up a vintage Omega or 007 MK I eventually to complement it if I can find a good condition one).

I know the general recommendation here would be to go with HeadAmp or Mjolnir Audio or just DIY but I do want to stay with a official Stax amp to begin with (also for cost and space reasons). I was mainly considering the SRM-353X, but is it worth paying extra to spring up for the SRM-727 II? I do not listen very loud at all and I have heard that the 009 (and thus apparently the 009S) are a bit easier to drive than the 007.

Unfortunately I cannot find any local place to audition this for myself so your feedback would be very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back