The Stax Thread III
Mar 15, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #14,641 of 25,430
i just noticed my volume level settings have been too loud...I have been listening to Stax amps's volume position "5". its just too loud. now its position "3".
That was the reson why my Stax amps sounded harsh. darn. i coundnt noticed this fact until today. lol

Which Stax amps volume posions do you guys listen to??? please let me know. Thank you.

Depends on the amp ! But I do crank up my 009 + T2 ways louder than I should. I try to limit my sessions because I don’t want to blow my eardrums this early

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #14,643 of 25,430
I agree. depend on amp/source output V/headphone sensitivity. etc
I just noticed that i have been listening to too loud volume....probablly i got some hearing loss for last 3 years...darn lol

Our hearing will degrade, regardless of what you do. However, listening too loud for too long will speed up the degradation progress. There is nothing wrong with listening to the satisfying volume for the systems that you have for about 60 minutes and take few hours break.

I rather listen to loud volume that comfortably satisfy me than listening to whispering

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #14,644 of 25,430
Most of the KG-designed amps will play completely clean and distortion free much louder than the point where your ears will be begging for mercy (well, the Stax version of that, since they are so very low-fatigue at any given volume). Going from a Stax amp to a KG amp will be like upgrading from a cheap Home Theater receiver to 300 Watts/ch monoblocks.

I believe, though I have no proof, that moderate/loud listening on a good Stax setup will be less damaging to hearing than traditional headphones at same volume. They are very low on fatigue factor.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #14,645 of 25,430
I use an iPhone app to measure the SPL at the outside of earpod. That’s where I gauge the rotation of my volume knob for maximum for most listening.

These STAX play so loud with low distortion, without the usual queues to turn the volume down. Can be dangerous if not taken into account.

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #14,646 of 25,430
Thanks guys for reply. yes iphone SPL meter is good idea. just I will try it now.

EDIT:
i just install SPLnFFT iPhone app. I just measured HP-A8 + srm-007t + SR-009 with some tracks.

Level "5" positiion = it reports "Loud: annoyance possible"
Level "3" position = it reports "Moderate or Comfortable"

darn i have been listening to annoyingly loud volume....

FYI according to latest medical study. hearing loss may increase dementia possibility...i recommend to search "hearing loss dementia"

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #14,648 of 25,430
Thanks guys for reply. yes iphone SPL meter is good idea. just I will try it now.

EDIT:
i just install SPLnFFT iPhone app. I just measured HP-A8 + srm-007t + SR-009 with some tracks.

Level "5" positiion = it reports "Loud: annoyance possible"
Level "3" position = it reports "Moderate or Comfortable"

darn i have been listening to annoyingly loud volume....

FYI according to latest medical study. hearing loss may increase dementia possibility...

Judge for yoursel. I suggest you get a proper SPL meter app that lists the measured volume in dB and not rely on some nerd’s edited response.

Mar 15, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #14,649 of 25,430
To properly measure the SPL that affect your hearings, you will need a very sophisticated set up, and it gotta be from the inner chamber toward the ears. The iPhone apps only measures the possible loudness of the ambience without specific distance. It is more generally to be used for measuring your environment instead, like a subway station, Broadway, downtown, construction areas...etc.

I would just say that when your ears are begging for Mercy, that is when you need to turn down the volume :D , easy, and effective

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #14,651 of 25,430
Most of the KG-designed amps will play completely clean and distortion free much louder than the point where your ears will be begging for mercy (well, the Stax version of that, since they are so very low-fatigue at any given volume). Going from a Stax amp to a KG amp will be like upgrading from a cheap Home Theater receiver to 300 Watts/ch monoblocks.

I believe, though I have no proof, that moderate/loud listening on a good Stax setup will be less damaging to hearing than traditional headphones at same volume. They are very low on fatigue factor.

Scientist checking in here, and this statement is not true and a potentially dangerous line of thinking. The reason you get hearing damage from loud sounds is because of the sound pressure level. Since sound travels through air waves, louder volumes are pushing more air regardless of how "distortion-free" that sound wave is. The air pressure level is the same. What happens is higher sound pressure levels are pushing your hair cells down inside your inner ear. Think of this like stepping on fresh grass on a nice lawn. Lower volumes would be like lightly tip toeing quickly across the grass. If it is light enough, the blades will pop back up nice and quickly. High volumes (above 85dB) would be like stomping on that grass with heavy boots. The more you do this the harder it is for the grass (aka hair cells) to pop back up into position. It is this repeated exposure that can eventually permanently damage those hair cells over time. [source]

I would argue that low distortion headphones like Stax ENHANCE the probability of hearing damage because it means you are able to tolerate higher volumes without fatigue and not realize how high your volume levels may be. Please be safe everyone.

Mar 15, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #14,655 of 25,430
@Whitigir 85db are 85db, doesn't matter if from a headphone, a speaker or a car, the safe amount of time exposure is the same because the loudness is the same.

There are weighted curves that more reflect how humans hear, so 85dB A weighted is not the same as B or C weighted. I’m not well versed enough to offer more insight here. Suggest a Google search for more complete info,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back