The Stax Thread III
Mar 5, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #11,297 of 25,261
The good news is that we have not only power, but music!  I had a few bumps to track down & smooth out (analog out seemingly not working from one of my other components :frowning2: ), but so far so good. And quite good so far, I'll say... 

Driving a pair of ESP-950s via an adapter cable. Even with a backup front end, it's good. First listen suggests the combination is providing what I was looking for with this amp. Feeling some _long_ listening sessions coming on :)

Thanks for the info.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #11,298 of 25,261
Thanks for the advice. Was seriously thinking of the mini/L700 combo as a decent beginners rig without spending too much. So it's either a warmer amp or a darker can like the 007..

Would the BHSE/L700 combo sound bright similarly?

No, not too bright with vintage EL34 tubes; still up there though, just below the L700/Carbon pairing. That said, I do often enjoy the L700/Carbon or L700/BHSE for its slightly less accurate and more hyped-up/fun sound vs. the 007/009 (you get a bit more bloom in the midbass and sparkle in treble from L700). And the L700 does benefit from these better amps, but you're past the elbow of the value/scaling curve at this point. The DIY balanced hev90 is an excellent match for L700. The KGST is also good, but at a lower level of performance. I think my warmest KGSShv would also be good, but haven't tried that combo yet.

With L700, I would look for a KGST or a warm KGSShv. Or just choose your preference of 007/009 and go from there (KGST or warm KGSShv are also good starter amps for 009). Current Mjolnir Mini would be too bright though; I'm sure of that.

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #11,299 of 25,261
  No, not too bright with vintage EL34 tubes; still up there though, just below the L700/Carbon pairing. That said, I do often enjoy the L700/Carbon or L700/BHSE for its slightly less accurate and more hyped-up/fun sound vs. the 007/009 (you get a bit more bloom in the midbass and sparkle in treble from L700). And the L700 does benefit from these better amps, but you're past the elbow of the value/scaling curve at this point. The DIY balanced hev90 is an excellent match for L700. The KGST is also good, but at a lower level of performance. I think my warmest KGSShv would also be good, but haven't tried that combo yet.

With L700, I would look for a KGST or a warm KGSShv. Or just choose your preference of 007/009 and go from there (KGST or warm KGSShv are also good starter amps for 009). Current Mjolnir Mini would be too bright though; I'm sure of that.

​Why do you have so many amps? (drooling here). How 'bout you send one my way?
Actually looking for some used electrostatic amps, and cant find any anywhere

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #11,300 of 25,261

Many thanks for the kind advice. Have to start saving up or selling existing gear . Don't see many used amps for sale nowadays at price points that I'm comfortable with.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #11,301 of 25,261
Thanks to everyone for the answers to my post listed above.

Perhaps the thing to do is change direction when it comes to source (iPhone > Hugo) and simply take an amp such as the Mjolnir and connect it directly to my two channel system. Naim TOTL preamp/amp fed by Linn LP12 turntable and Linn DS digital player. RCA out from my Naim preamp into a Mjolnir??

It seems that Mjolnir are making a number of different amps - each one a Kevin Gilmore design? What is the difference between all the versions listed on his site?

Finally - how long have the 009's been out? What kind of longevity on Stax models?

If you are looking to connect multiple sources, especially rca with TT, you will need something like a goldpoint passive pre to go with your Mjolnir amp. Mjolnir only does one xlr in and one xlr out.

I also highly suggest buying mjolnir used.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #11,303 of 25,261
Carbon for sale here 

Perhaps every bit as good of a build as Spritzer.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #11,306 of 25,261
Hi all,

I am a fortunate guy who managed to scrimp for a new SR-009. The sound is impressive.

I have a little problem though. The 009 is new and not fully broken in.
I feel the right side is very slightly louder than the left.
I listened to a full frequency tone sweep, and it feels like the lowest frequency sweeps to the right and back to centre of head. Then the mid and high frequency tone is mostly focused in the centre of head.

I started to wonder if this is a driver imbalance.

I noted that the bass reponse of the sr009 is a little fiddly, changing slightly as I move the headphone around on my head. Sometimes after numberous times the bass response position seems to be balanced in the centre.
At times I tilt the left driver slightly more downwards, it improves.
once I flip the headphone left - right and listened , the bass response is perfectly in the centre.

Is it normal for the 009 to behave this way? It is rather fiddly. Is it the Drivers? Is it the foam?

I don't know. Wish I like near some advice on this issue.

Thanks

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #11,307 of 25,261
Hi all,

I am a fortunate guy who managed to scrimp for a new SR-009. And impressed with it.

I listened to a full frequency tone sweep, and it feels like the lowest frequency sweeps to the right and back to centre of head. Then the mid and high frequency tone is mostly focused in the centre of head.

I noted that the bass reponse of the sr009 is a little fiddly, changing slightly as I move the headphone around on my head. Sometimes after numberous times the bass response position seems to be balanced in the centre.
once I flip the headphone left - right and listened , the bass response is perfectly in the centre.

Is it normal for the 009 to behave this way? It is rather fiddly. Is it the Drivers? Is it the foam?

Thanks

As far as the 009 being imbalanced, I can't comment without the experience, sorry.
I can however comment on the bass responding differently while turning your head from left/right.
I just noticed this myself the other night. I moved my head all the way to the left/right to stretch a bit and noticed the bass increased.

The reason the bass increases is because the ear pads are moving away from your ears slightly when this is done. While sitting with your head straight, slightly pull the cups away from your ears and you'll replicate what you experienced. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #11,308 of 25,261
Hi all,

I am a fortunate guy who managed to scrimp for a new SR-009. The sound is impressive.

Thanks

I had a pair of 009s that got the imbalance after 20 months. However it was very obvious and a volume reduction was across the frequency spectrum, not just the bass effect you describe.

Have you adjusted the headband to get the drivers sitting over your ears and resting nicely against your head? Also watch the left and right on the cups, the thicker section of the cups needs to be behind your ear so in effect, the drivers tilt into your ear canal a bit. Also keep the lead loose, I rest the excess on my desk as opposed to dangling below causing weight to the HP.

Dead basics here, have you had your ears cleaned? I get wax build up in the right side.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new 009s.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #11,309 of 25,261

As far as the 009 being imbalanced, I can't comment without the experience, sorry.
I can however comment on the bass responding differently while turning your head from left/right.
I just noticed this myself the other night. I moved my head all the way to the left/right to stretch a bit and noticed the bass increased.

The reason the bass increases is because the ear pads are moving away from your ears slightly when this is done. While sitting with your head straight, slightly pull the cups away from your ears and you'll replicate what you experienced. 

Thanks Joseph, indeed that was what I noticed and I agree. Apparently, when moving the head around or adjusting the headphone, the bass response responds the most as opposed to the mid and high frequency. I wonder if it is affected by the seal created by the earpad seal. Bcos I do experience often some Stax "farting"/ crackling (i think) as i move the phone around and adjust the driver position. It is that sensitive: pressing the earcup against the ear, tilting the earcup slightly, lifting the earcup AWAY from the ear - all change the bass. Kind of reminds of the AKG K550, where it really takes a while to adjust to get a proper seal for the bass to appear. And the K550 farts too, serious!

Oh, i noticed something strange too. As i lift the earcup AWAY from the ear, the bass became bigger and stronger. When I put the earcup back against my ears, the bass became softer but tighter. Strange but true! Thats how sensitive!

The HE-6 , HD800 are not affected much by the ear position which I think is bcos their earpad are velour and hence do not "seal". The SR009 is a open headphone with a has sealing earpad. Intriguing.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #11,310 of 25,261
 I had a pair of 009s that got the imbalance after 20 months. However it was very obvious and a volume reduction was across the frequency spectrum, not just the bass effect you describe.

Have you adjusted the headband to get the drivers sitting over your ears and resting nicely against your head? Also watch the left and right on the cups, the thicker section of the cups needs to be behind your ear so in effect, the drivers tilt into your ear canal a bit. Also keep the lead loose, I rest the excess on my desk as opposed to dangling below causing weight to the HP.

Dead basics here, have you had your ears cleaned? I get wax build up in the right side.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new 009s.

Hi atrostar59,

Thanks for the advice. Is it common to get imbalance so long after purchase (20 months)? AFAIK my local unit is covered by only one year warranty and that may be an issue. Did Stax charge you for the replacement?

Good point regarding the wire on the desk, I did notice the long heavy cable can tug the headphone in a certain direction and maybe that could contribute to the change in sound.

Regarding the ear wax, ok... I will get that checked too.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back