The Stax Thread III
Jul 11, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #9,211 of 25,262
  I just bought this:

A mate has a powdercoating business so I might get him to repaint the cover.
The faceplate doesn't look too bad.
Fingers crossed the guy selling the headphones is genuine - although I used Pay-pal so if they don't turn up I'll get a refund, but then I'm left with an amp and nothing to plug into it.

I was looking at that the other day (I am in a perpetual state of watching ebay for Stax stuff.) Looks like you got a pretty good deal on it too assuming it has no problems other than the scratched paint. The front panel looks like its in good shape so a can of spray paint, or better yet powder coat, and you'll have a fine looking and sounding amp. Congrats!

If the headphones do fall through there are still many other fine Staxen to choose from. I highly recommend the original Normal Bias Lambda, they sound better to my ears than any of the X07 Lambdas that I've heard. Not as dynamic or punchy as the new stuff but they have a flatter frequency response and a lovely midrange (best I've heard from an E-stat). They are a little rolled off at either end of the spectrum but IMHO they can still thump pretty hard when they need to. Best part is you can usually find them for under $300.

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #9,214 of 25,262
Jul 13, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #9,216 of 25,262

Maybe you annoy them?

As I wrote earlier, they have taken my money but haven't replied to emails or shipped my order. No communication whatsoever for over 1 month. Isn't that annoying, having to worrying if you've been scammed?

That probably would be annoying, but I think PJ might actually be just a one man operation, so it's not like you have a customer service department who can answer every email right away. Their communication has never been very good, but they've always come through in the past, that's why so many recommend them. In early June they posted a notice on the front page that explains that due to a car accident they had not been able to get any work done for a little while, so they are probably still catching up from the backlog. When you consider that it can take a month or more to receive packages from PJ when things are running smoothly it doesn't seem that surprising that you haven't gotten your order yet. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #9,217 of 25,262
according to recent Japanese audiophile magazine(i lost memory which magazine it was. ill search it later,,,EDIT i found it article, it was Japanese Audiophile Magazine "Stereo" April 2016 Page.75, Stax President Mr.Nakata comment on it), Stax HQ is interested in/considering to launch global direct seles site from Japan.
so lets wait and see.

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #9,218 of 25,262
Sounds like a smart move, because I think they could make more profit and sell more units at the same time, although I think the distributors elsewhere will not be happy about it.
Stax would have to concern themselves with a lot more and different work, i.e. direct sales and assistance to customers in English, and managing all the parcels and returns. If they do it, I hope they will hire some competent people for it. Also, while they're at it, I think a new, modern website would help. I like the current one for nostalgic reasons, but potential new customers may have more confidence in Stax if they build a new website.

So far, I haven't seen any bad changes since Edifier purchased Stax, but not any good ones either...

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #9,219 of 25,262
I do believe that Stax dont sell that much through dealership, as the prices are sky high, at least up here they are. Besides, many folks buy directy from Japan anyway, cost you like 50% less, even include taxes. For example, Stax 009 cost here close to EUR 5000, so, what kind of sale market these ear speakers have up here? The answer is simple, none.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #9,220 of 25,262
  according to recent Japanese audiophile magazine(i lost memory which magazine it was. ill search it later), Stax HQ is interested in/considering to launch global direct seles site from Japan.
so lets wait and see.

THIS ^^

They need to do that, because nobody buys Stax in Europe (5000€ for SR-009).
They've been fixing the prices with the L500 and L700 and SRM-353X, price is more or less the same than in Japan but the rest of the products are twice the price.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #9,221 of 25,262
im saving up for a pair of Stax SR 009s

i had lamdas in 80s-90s and still have the SRD-7/SB stax adapter , i was hoping to simply purchase the 009s and use that as  stop gap until i could afford and had decided on the amp 

It seems the 009s are actively induced and the SRD-7/SB is passive ,so im led to believe there is no chance to have this work together 

If there is a way  to use my SRD , which will mean i can go ahead soon and buy the 009s , id appreciate someone here letting me know 

i am also led to believe that if there is a warranty issue with stax 009s , and i ve used a non stax amp , then i ve voided the warranty (apparently there can be an issue where seperate charges can come through , from non stax amps , and ruin the 009s , this voids warranty im told) 
Is this true ?

Same dealer also tells me the stax SRM-727 and SRM 007-T2 are unmatched in high quality for the 009s
Its easy to believe since stax should know their own product 

But people like Ty (inner fidelity ) has said in concern to 727 " it did poorly with 009s , it didnt have the poop , and it was very rolled off , and its a shame to roll off the details of 009" of the 007-T 2 he said " it sounded sweet , but was unable to drive the 009s to a very high level "

im not basing this all on Ty ( tho i over the years have grown to respect his ear) ,but anywhere i go to read , the stax amps are nowhere to be seen , in a good / bad review

The blue hawaii/liquid lightning/woo audio really dominate all conversation 

It seems a shame to have to be limited to the stax amps for warranty concerns .

i have the RSA Darkstar for my HD 800s 

As great as it is , and it is :) , id flog it ( as id need cash) if there was such a thing as dual electrostat/dynamic headphone amp (In the same league as Darkstar tho) .As i plan on keeping my HD 800s , unless the 009s convince me otherwise 

The Thunderbolt A 10 looks a dream , but is dedicated electrostat , i cant afford to keep darkstar if im to buy that A 10

Also , to fellow Canadians (or just someone who knows the details) , if i was to buy from that Japan.com ? site , i understand there are warranty concerns , and can i also ask once i pay them (add gst/ship fees) ,what other charges like duty will i face ?

i ve been getting the run about trying to speak to a proper dept. at canada customs for 2 ,wasted,days now 

One dept sends me to another , yet another ,and no one knows s***

Apologies for so many , and even newb questions , tho i do look forward to replies

Cheers

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #9,222 of 25,262
@Rozeqloud

You can keep in the middle, for example not selling your HD800 set up by getting L700  with Stax amp like 006t both used, but from your location that were bought from official dealership, It may take some time, but you will be safe then. Of course, all depends on your own preferences, but you do have a choce this way.

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #9,223 of 25,262
  im saving up for a pair of Stax SR 009s

i had lamdas in 80s-90s and still have the SRD-7/SB stax adapter , i was hoping to simply purchase the 009s and use that as  stop gap until i could afford and had decided on the amp 

It seems the 009s are actively induced and the SRD-7/SB is passive ,so im led to believe there is no chance to have this work together 

Huh?
Quote:
If there is a way  to use my SRD , which will mean i can go ahead soon and buy the 009s , id appreciate someone here letting me know 

SRD boxes work the same with the SR-009 as they do with any and every other Stax earspeaker. The technology is exactly the same. The only thing to look out for is whether you have a pro bias or normal bias SRD-7. The SR-009 is pro bias  and while it is compatible with normal bias amps and energizers it will not sound very good on them.

Quote:
i am also led to believe that if there is a warranty issue with stax 009s , and i ve used a non stax amp , then i ve voided the warranty (apparently there can be an issue where seperate charges can come through , from non stax amps , and ruin the 009s , this voids warranty im told) 
Is this true ?

I think this is technically true, but I'm not sure how they would be able to prove that you used a non stax amp unless you volunteered that information. Also no amp that is built correctly will damage the headphones. If you are worried about this then be careful with Woo and RSA amps. Several products from these manufacturers have been found with incorrect ballast resistor values in the bias supplies for Stax earspeakers that could cause damage to the diaphragm coating. They might have fixed this but there's no way to know for sure.
Quote:
Same dealer also tells me the stax SRM-727 and SRM 007-T2 are unmatched in high quality for the 009s
Its easy to believe since stax should know their own product 

lol.
But people like Ty (inner fidelity ) has said in concern to 727 " it did poorly with 009s , it didnt have the poop , and it was very rolled off , and its a shame to roll off the details of 009" of the 007-T 2 he said " it sounded sweet , but was unable to drive the 009s to a very high level "

im not basing this all on Ty ( tho i over the years have grown to respect his ear) ,but anywhere i go to read , the stax amps are nowhere to be seen , in a good / bad review

Both the 727 and 007Tii need internal modifications to sound good with anything. They are both nonlinear and underpowered. They are both nice designs, but Stax made some weird design choices that make them perform worse than they should. The 727 has an incomplete feedback loop that bloats the bass and screws up the treble, and the 007Tii just uses the wrong tubes, 6CG7s instead of 6S4As. As for why Stax does these things I have no answers, I'm inclined to believe that they know what they are doing from an engineering perspective, but that perhaps they have some strange ideology about how they voice their amps, and are willing to make significant engineering compromises to do so.
The blue hawaii/liquid lightning/woo audio really dominate all conversation 

Yep.
The Thunderbolt A 10 looks a dream , but is dedicated electrostat , i cant afford to keep darkstar if im to buy that A 10

Stay far away from the A10. You can do much better for far less.The KGSSHV Carbon was specifically designed from the ground up for the SR-009. Mjolnir-Audio sells a very fine example of this amp for a couple thousand less than the A10. It's not as blingy, but that shouldn't matter if your priorities are in order.

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #9,224 of 25,262
  @Rozeqloud

You can keep in the middle, for example not selling your HD800 set up by getting L700  with Stax amp like 006t both used, but from your location that were bought from official dealership, It may take some time, but you will be safe then. Of course, all depends on your own preferences, but you do have a choce this way.

Thanks mate

PS love the profile pic

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #9,225 of 25,262
  lol.
Both the 727 and 007Tii need internal modifications to sound good with anything. They are both nonlinear and underpowered. They are both nice designs, but Stax made some weird design choices that make them perform worse than they should. The 727 has an incomplete feedback loop that bloats the bass and screws up the treble, and the 007Tii just uses the wrong tubes, 6CG7s instead of 6S4As. As for why Stax does these things I have no answers, I'm inclined to believe that they know what they are doing from an engineering perspective, but that perhaps they have some strange ideology about how they voice their amps, and are willing to make significant engineering compromises to do so.
Yep.
Stay far away from the A10. You can do much better for far less.The KGSSHV Carbon was specifically designed from the ground up for the SR-009. Mjolnir-Audio sells a very fine example of this amp for a couple thousand less than the A10. It's not as blingy, but that shouldn't matter if your priorities are in order.

Cheers for that nice informed reply mate

When i said

"It seems the 009s are actively induced and the SRD-7/SB is passive ,so im led to believe there is no chance to have this work together "

i was simply parroting what a dealer told me today . i cant begin to suss what it means , except it says NOPE that wont drive the 009s . Was i being misled or misinformed ?

" The only thing to look out for is whether you have a pro bias or normal bias SRD-7. The SR-009 is pro bias  and while it is compatible with normal bias amps and energizers it will not sound very good on them."

How do i figure what mine is then , either normal or pro bias ?

id love to have the 009s to carry with me to test amps , and could still use them at home with my SRD-7/SB 

"The KGSSHV Carbon "

i sensed you really dig that one . The other 2 to seriously consider are The blue hawaii/liquid lightning/woo audio ? "

Would you have some time to enlighten me on those amps , esp. in terms of preference for the 009s and why ?

i love that you said the carbon was designed specifically for the 009 , is that designed by the same Gilmore chap who designed Blue hawaii as well ?

Or am i crossing wires here ?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back