The Stax Thread III
Apr 10, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #8,551 of 25,467
IMHO if you use a high end speaker amp together with a good quality transformer solution like Mjölnir Audio, or even the SRD7 Pro, that would be plenty good enough to drive the L700, and it would also tame the highs into a safely polite range from borderline rough.

I'm sure it will sound decent. But if you look at comments from Sprtizer, he has tried a transformer based solution (i.e. Energizer) with way better transformers than what is used in any energizer solution and finds them lacking as compared to amp solution. While a good speaker amp makes a difference, at end of day, it is just made for different purposes.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #8,552 of 25,467
Yes, transformers may lack in comparison with a good energizer, but:
- I am not sure with what speaker amp Spritzer tried the transformer and to which energizer he did compare it to
- the man mentioned he has a high end speaker amp and won't invest in e.g. a Carbon
- he mentioned the L700.

Based on what I've heard myself (with the 507, L700, 007 and 009), a transformer does very well from a high end tube amp.

I am not sure if an entry level energizer would be as good as a high end speaker amp + transformers, for instance the 323S was clearly inferior with both the 507 and the 007.

I am pretty sure Spritzer is right that a high end energizer is still better, but once the man is not going there, the question is what is the next best.

Perhaps an all-tube mid-price energizer like the Konka amp would do well, I have heard that with the L700, 007 and 009, and it was smooth and nice. However, the transformer is cheaper, and likely more convenient for the use case.

If he spends more time with the headphones than with speakers, I am pretty sure time will come to a dedicated high end energizer.

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #8,554 of 25,467
Yes I still have an SRD-7 Pro, and it works with the 007, though I get better bass, dynamics and smoother resolution with a dedicated amp. It also depends on the speaker amp you're using. I tried cj tube amp, and Primaluna tube amp both with Valve Art EL34s, and a 120 W circlotron mosfet amp. Tube amps had bigger stage and opened the 007 more, especially the cj, but I guess it's not typical to use a 45kg amp with an octet of EL34s for driving a headphone :)

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #8,555 of 25,467
Ok, so impressions on the SR-Λ.  These are not stock, they come with SR-Λ professional earpads.  In cosmetically great condition on the drivers with wear to the headband.  

My previous stax experience was from the SR-404LE out of a SRM-3 from a Modi 2 so comparisons will be with that.  Driven by a SRM-1/MK2 and a modi 2.

Bass:  The bass is definitely boomier on the 404LE.  I don't think its actually better tho.  People's measurements made me look into this and I don't see significant roll off until I get to around 40hz then from 40 on it starts to roll.  No measurements, just trying to guess based off of a tone generator.  Its a bit airier.  Not bad though at all.  Better than the newer lambdas I've heard.

Midrange: Definitely fits with the rest of the sound better than the 404LE.  The 404LE has its mids a little recessed seaming while this seems smoother.  Has a bit of a highmid bump, but nothing huge. The upper mids seem more fun on the 404LE while its smoother on the Lambda.

Highs: MUCH better on this.  No question.  The highs on this are perfectly placed and sound lightyears better.  

Detail: Much better. I found this surprising.  Imaging and detail on this sound way better than the 404LE.  

Soundstage: Very good imaging, and quite large.  Not HD800 or 009 or k1000 level, but still way above most headphones.

The only real issue I have with it is not as punchy as the 404LE and most dynamics. Listening to a really agressive song sounds weaker than with a 404LE.  Less boomy bass and less upfront highmids are what I think is the issue.

Seriously, I see people talking about this, and the general response is that its musical but has rolled off highs and lows.  I just can't hear that, and measurements posted everywhere don't show that.  This extends fairly well and is really, really good.

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #8,556 of 25,467
Hi All
I have a 23 month old 009 I bought from a dealer in the UK. It has developed a marked channel imbalance. I have thus sent it to the service centre in the UK.

My question, does anyone know if they would replace the problem driver, or both, or replace the whole headphone?

I am unsure if a new driver would match the existing one that is ok. Stax do change production over time, and I can see a new driver would not match.

I have read some guys on here had issues with their 009s and as that happened soon after purchase i.e. 2 or 3 months, they got a new pair.

Any help would be great. I am hoping they don't need to go back to Japn, I am missing them already!

I have heard that Stax have an increasing number of returns showing scorching of the drivers due to over voltage issues which then aren't covered by warranty. Hopefully yours have a different issue.

Apr 11, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #8,558 of 25,467
I have heard that Stax have an increasing number of returns showing scorching of the drivers due to over voltage issues which then aren't covered by warranty. Hopefully yours have a different issue.

I don't know you, nor have I read any posts from you but this and I don't want to seem insensitive but this statement without any references is in itself something a troll would write.  Furthermore IMHO, posts like this should be removed from the forum altogether as it serves no purpose - heresy never does. 

Apr 11, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #8,559 of 25,467
I would like to share my experiences with Stax - Transformer paired with some very good tube amplifier.
As i have bought sr009 and heard it with 727 i knew it is something special about this HP and was ready to do everything to get the best out of them.
I found combo 727 sr009 hyper detailed, it was really fun to hear it but... Sound felt the body, and i found bass to be a bit too shallow. 
I have read this forum and bought kgsshv (spritzer) - much better bass and scene, much better control.
Then i bought woo audio wes and found it even better. I thought my stax-way is over. Then i met some audiophile from Berlin who showed me his LRT (see here http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/stax_transf.html
http://peter.family-rill.de/Projekte/Stax-Transformator  )
he even bettered it and named this LST.
We had some long comparison woo audio wes vs. LST + accuphase P500 (costs used about 2500-3000 Euro) and i knew i have to sell my woo audio wes. LST + accuphase was better all the way. Incredible bass and highs, smooth mids and the control! Accuphase did whatever he wanted with sr009.
I have tested ever since few very good amplifier with LST (kondo souga, EC 445, accuphase a70, octave v70 and some more) and found it sounds the best with powerful SET, as my ayon crossfire III or air tight ATM-300.
This combos declasses other stax amplifier that i have heard (i have not heard blue hawaii as i do not wanted to wait 2 years :wink:)
and it sounds better then sennheiser orpheus (yes we have compared it) I mean LST with orfpheus vs original orpheus amplifier.

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #8,562 of 25,467
  I would like to share my experiences with Stax - Transformer paired with some very good tube amplifier.
As i have bought sr009 and heard it with 727 i knew it is something special about this HP and was ready to do everything to get the best out of them.
I found combo 727 sr009 hyper detailed, it was really fun to hear it but... Sound felt the body, and i found bass to be a bit too shallow. 
I have read this forum and bought kgsshv (spritzer) - much better bass and scene, much better control.
Then i bought woo audio wes and found it even better. I thought my stax-way is over. Then i met some audiophile from Berlin who showed me his LRT (see here http://www.audiodesignguide.com/my/stax_transf.html
http://peter.family-rill.de/Projekte/Stax-Transformator  )
he even bettered it and named this LST.

In the link above the Lundahl pdf link was broken, here is the transformer that was used in the project:
http://www.lundahl.se/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/1620_3_7_9202.pdf

Nice impressions, similar to the Verto box reports.

No doubt it sounds very good, but it would be still interesting to know the slew rate of a transformer solution vs e.g. the Carbon say up to 16 kHz.

Apr 12, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #8,563 of 25,467
  Ok, so impressions on the SR-Λ.  These are not stock, they come with SR-Λ professional earpads.  In cosmetically great condition on the drivers with wear to the headband.  

Excellent impressions, mirrors my opinions (although not completely fair, from what I've gathered the SRM-3 is not nearly as good as the SRM-1 Mk2)

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #8,565 of 25,467
Just a quick update: received my SR-009s on Wednesday, April 6th and have had some time with them but
hardly enough - these are Headphone crack(early impressions).  First impressions so far: you put them on and
enter a musical world - they put you in the music - the music is all around me and I'm in it.  This is to say that, compared
to my highly vaunted and loved HD800s from 2008(or when they were first introduced), The Stax Sr009s allow me into
the studio or venue as compared to the HD800s which place you in the audience.  More to follow but it is early.  Impressions
of the build quality and comfort are unsurpassed - these headphones literally disappear.  As with all my listening sessions,
I close my eyes and am immersed. 

I'm using the following chain for my eargasmic pleasure:
MBP (using bitperfect) -> DAC1 USB -> Stax SRM-006tII -> Stax SR-009

HD800 setup:
MBP(using bitperfect) -> DAC1 USB -> Headamp GS-1 -> HD800

PICTURES!!!: cause really, what's a post in head-fi without 'em, right?

about the Stax Energiser used:

Stax SRM-006tII

srm-006tll.jpg

The movement toward wider band ranges in the world of audio is evident. For example, in the appearance of SACD and DVD audio,
it is much like the mega-pixel of CCD light-receiving elements in digital cameras.
What will CCDs, which have already topped the 10 million mark, carry out?
It isn’t simply a question of images not deteriorating as a result of enlargement.
The real benefits come from the ability to show every single human eyelash with absolute clarity and
from the richness of gradation of shading.Electrostatic earspeaker systems are being reassessed as next-generation
audio systems that make it possible to achieve an astonishingly wide range and now, their real value is being recognized.
Vacuum tube output stage transformer made possible by use of the electrostatic method, ideal pure balance operation
with no need for an inverted circuit, a DC amplified configuration… The new SRM-006tII has evolved into a new territory with
wider band range and detailed refinements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back