The Stax Thread III
Jan 1, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #7,561 of 25,429
I wish you all a very good 2016 year.  

May be this year will bring us a SR011 ?  
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #7,563 of 25,429
No, it is not modded. I'm considering to modify it. To me, KGST sound stage is very wide, and all instruments in it are wide too. There is little depth. With 727, instruments can pinpointed, and there is clear depth in sound stage. Bass is not floppy, but it is not as strong, as bass in KGST,

Mine is from Birgir.

IMHO, SRM-727II with Lynx Hilo is just right. With Linn Klimax DS, 727 is little too dark sounding, too smooth, but listenable, even enjoyable. With NAD M51, 727 is too bright, and some kind "metallic sounding".

If there is variatoins between KGST builds, then maybe there is different sounding 727 too. :wink_face:  

If I try to describe KGST sound with SR-009 in one word, "fatiguing" is right word.

Have u done any tube rolling? Also spritzer favorite phones is the sr007, so he may have voiced it for the sr007 or a darker sounding Mark 2. Are u running GE or RCA tubes on kgst? I think rolling tubes will take care of fatigue problems for you.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #7,564 of 25,429
Have u done any tube rolling? Also spritzer favorite phones is the sr007, so he may have voiced it for the sr007 or a darker sounding Mark 2. Are u running GE or RCA tubes on kgst? I think rolling tubes will take care of fatigue problems for you.

I don't know, what tubes there are in my KGST. I'm living in temporary apartment right now, and KGST is in my own apartment, but I'll check it, when I'm back to my "own home" in February. I even didn't care to take kgst with me here, only SRM-727 and SRM-313. 

I was thinking the same: maybe my KGST is currently better suitable to SR-007, than 009.

I find it interesting, that someone hears KGST more smooth, than SRM-727. To me 727 is too smooth with Linn Klimax DS, and KGST is not smooth enough with Linn. 

What tubes are you recommend with KGST? How much different tubes affect the sound?  I'm totally novice with tubes myself.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #7,566 of 25,429
https://www.facebook.com/STAXJapan/?fref=ts

Look at the last publication by Stax on facebook (Consumer Electronics show 2016), one guy asks if we'll se an SR-009 successor, and Stax answers: "You'll have to come visit us!"

Maybe they'll lunch the SR-009 successor this year :)

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #7,567 of 25,429

Look at the last publication by Stax on facebook (Consumer Electronics show 2016), one guy asks if we'll se an SR-009 successor, and Stax answers: "You'll have to come visit us!"

No it can't be, my bank account is a train wreck....

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #7,568 of 25,429

Should the launch be in Japan first?

No it can't be, my bank account is a train wreck....

No more gears....no more...repeat after me!

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #7,570 of 25,429

No more gears....no more...repeat after me!

I know, but that sound, it is so addictive!

Seriously Purk, you never get temped to sell some amps, you are amassing some pile there...

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #7,571 of 25,429
  I know, but that sound, it is so addictive!

Seriously Purk, you never get temped to sell some amps, you are amassing some pile there...

I sold off all of my KGSSHVs and KGST.  Now I only have the KGSSHV Carbon, BHSE, and DIY T2.  Yup, I have to do a better job get ridding of more dynamic amps.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #7,572 of 25,429

I don't know, what tubes there are in my KGST. I'm living in temporary apartment right now, and KGST is in my own apartment, but I'll check it, when I'm back to my "own home" in February. I even didn't care to take kgst with me here, only SRM-727 and SRM-313. 

I was thinking the same: maybe my KGST is currently better suitable to SR-007, than 009.

I find it interesting, that someone hears KGST more smooth, than SRM-727. To me 727 is too smooth with Linn Klimax DS, and KGST is not smooth enough with Linn. 

What tubes are you recommend with KGST? How much different tubes affect the sound?  I'm totally novice with tubes myself.

The KGST only uses 6S4A tubes.

I don't know of any brand differences as far as sound reproduction is concerned.

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #7,574 of 25,429
Well, in any event, if you decide to sell off the carbon, do think of me. :wink_face:

Sadly, Purk said that iro dynamic amps... If not, BHSE or the T2 would be interesting indeed... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back