The Stax Thread III
Nov 15, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #7,216 of 25,261
  Thanks for explaining why you may not be enjoying the 007 as much as you could be. If I win the bid I'll run them through the KGSSHV and write a short impression of my opinion.
beerchug.gif

I would be careful. The 007 is a complex animal, I have heard about 4 versions so far, and they ALL sound very different i.e. all crap except the latest 007A I got this year. A MK1 I heard was better, probably just below my 007A? I can't understand it, but the whole phone seems very different in my later version. maybe Stax changed the diaphragms. I read Birgir has noted a recent change to the current 007s as well, as he got hold of a later unit. Before that, he only like the Mk1.

It is odd, but the MK2.5s I had, and the other 2.5s I heard the frame seemed to be energised as well, it was somehow muddling the sound. It defiantly has a bass hump and a tailed of treble, almost like an EQ'd source, and didn't sound right. I am very happy with the latest 007A (I got them from PJ). 

This 'may' explain some of the issues folk have noticed with their particular version. Dunno. It seems to me no matter how powerful an amp is, some versions of the 007 will never be right, not by my ears anyway. Totally confusing situation, and I sympathise with folk who have bought a version that seems to them not right.... My advice, sell it and get the current 007A.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #7,218 of 25,261
What version of the KGST are you using? early/late? is it equipped with the 'usual' PSU?

Early boards from the Headinclouds GB. So no cascode on the CCS. I measured and set the individual current to a spot on 9.0 mA. Also uses the simplified KGBH PSU.

Sounded really good when I first powered up with an Alpha pot from Birgir. Took 2 big steps up when replaced with an Alps RK50. Also using balanced silver ribbon interconnects. Never liked silver ICs before, but in this application is uber-magic. As far as tube rolling, I like the various brand "Made in Japan" labeled 6S4A . They are easy to spot with flag isolators under the getters similar to an EL-34. Looks like Toshiba used early Tungsol tooling and I suspect they may really be internally repinned 6RA6. Those 6RA6 Japanese tubes have higher plate dissipation and a 40% lower Rp. I don't have a tube curve tracer so that is pure speculation. The 6RA6 does also have higher spec'd current draw for the heaters, which I confirmed in circuit with the Japanese 6S4A.

And Herbie's Tube Dampeners helps a bit too.

Dry fitting the KGSSHV Carbon.

Depending on how much the heat sinks can dissipate, can run up to 40 mA.

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #7,219 of 25,261

I would be careful. The 007 is a complex animal, I have heard about 4 versions so far, and they ALL sound very different i.e. all crap except the latest 007A I got this year. A MK1 I heard was better, probably just below my 007A? I can't understand it, but the whole phone seems very different in my later version. maybe Stax changed the diaphragms. I read Birgir has noted a recent change to the current 007s as well, as he got hold of a later unit. Before that, he only like the Mk1.
It is odd, but the MK2.5s I had, and the other 2.5s I heard the frame seemed to be energised as well, it was somehow muddling the sound. It defiantly has a bass hump and a tailed of treble, almost like an EQ'd source, and didn't sound right. I am very happy with the latest 007A (I got them from PJ). 
This 'may' explain some of the issues folk have noticed with their particular version. Dunno. It seems to me no matter how powerful an amp is, some versions of the 007 will never be right, not by my ears anyway. Totally confusing situation, and I sympathise with folk who have bought a version that seems to them not right.... My advice, sell it and get the current 007A.

Hmm, this seems to worry me now…I had the same issue with 3 different PS1K's.
Your almost making me want to withdraw my bid being I am the highest bidder so far and the auction ends Wednesday. 
confused_face.gif

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #7,220 of 25,261
  Hmm, this seems to worry me now…I had the same issue with 3 different PS1K's.
Your almost making me want to withdraw my bid being I am the highest bidder so far and the auction ends Wednesday. 
confused_face.gif

Haha...please don't compare Grado quality to Stax's on the Stax thread; it's insulting :wink:

Sometime I think the community goes a little crazy assigning new versions to various Stax models -- that said, Stax doesn't help the situation as they do in fact change things unannounced. So yeah, if I were you I'd be wary of any ebay purchase unless you're getting a significant discount off the PJ price (which is what, under 1600 now?).

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #7,221 of 25,261
  Haha...please don't compare Grado quality to Stax's on the Stax thread; it's insulting :wink:

Sometime I think the community goes a little crazy assigning new versions to various Stax models -- that said, Stax doesn't help the situation as they do in fact change things unannounced. So yeah, if I were you I'd be wary of any ebay purchase unless you're getting a significant discount off the PJ price (which is what, under 1600 now?).

Wasn't comparing the brands, just saying I had the same issue.
The ones I'm bidding on (HERE) must be from Stax USA being they are black and come with a U.S. warranty.
Yes, PJ sells them for $1574.00 U.S. but I do like the black being my 009 is silver. I Don't know what to do now.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #7,222 of 25,261
  Wasn't comparing the brands, just saying I had the same issue.
The ones I'm bidding on (HERE) must be from Stax USA being they are black and come with a U.S. warranty.
Yes, PJ sells them for $1574.00 U.S. but I do like the black being my 009 is silver. I Don't know what to do now.

I would run away as fast as possible. IMO the black 007s sound very poor, way behind the current 007A (silver) from Japan or the 007Mk1. Get the 0007A from PJ, I did and it is a great phone. My previous back MK2s / 2.5s were not good.....

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #7,226 of 25,261
  The LLMK2T is a different story with the 007s.

The Liquid Lightning 2T is the tube version. The solid-state version is just Liquid Lightning 2, without the T.

(I know he revised it so he can start making both versions with the same "base".)

I would run away as fast as possible. IMO the black 007s sound very poor, way behind the current 007A (silver) from Japan or the 007Mk1. Get the 0007A from PJ, I did and it is a great phone. My previous back MK2s / 2.5s were not good.....

Isn't the SR-007MK2 Birgir likes so much now a black one?

People have posted in this thread about the black one being revised again to sound better than the "MK2.5", nicknaming it the "MK2.75".

confused_face.gif

The MK1 is no longer available *NEW* correct?

Correct.

I have 2 pair of the MK1s one with the SN of 705xx.  I might be willing to let it go. 
biggrin.gif

Man, you have owned so many MK1s!

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #7,228 of 25,261

Such selective reading, eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back