The Stax Thread III
Jun 28, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #5,281 of 25,430
I would recommend a Musical Fidelity Class A SS power amp. I have had 3 in the past and they are great. 2 of the later ones I used with an SRD7 and the Lambda Nova Signatures. Sounded very good, great bass and dynamics.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #5,282 of 25,430
I am sick......

I can't stop buying stuff, well anyway I WAS going to get the 507s for my second system in the UK but couldn't resist getting the silver 007s instead. I had the black UK 007 MKII before I got my 009s, and even though the 007s were darker and slower than the 009s, I did like them a lot. Here are some of the plus points that swayed me as regards the 507 v 007s (my opinion).

1. The bass is close to Planers
2. They are quite forgiving (my DAC and Stax 717 is a bit brighter than in my main system)
3. The ear cups sit over the ears as opposed to on, so my ears don't get so hot.
4. They are more comfortable
5. They are smoother with vocals and kinder in the highs, though I do admit to liking the Lambda presentation / soundstage.
6. I like the look of them better than the 507s
7. They are built better with more metal parts
8. I can rest easy and not pander later on for the 007s.
9. There is a carry / dust case

So that is my logic, my wallet is now nackered, but my passion for music is greater than cars or food or pretty much anything else I can spend hard earned on..... Ha Ha.

Anyway, there are a lot of guys on here that have heaps of Stax gear, so I am an amateur.....

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #5,283 of 25,430

Thanks for the reply, but it looks like class T? I read a post by Birgir who said that class T amps wouldn't like driving these transformers (IIRC). Thoughts?

Birgir probably has more refined taste in presentation than I do, unless he was trying to say they functionally don't like each other??? Not sure what he is talking about, it worked just fine for me for a few years, SRD7/SB with my Lambda Normal Bias. I even used an old Sony MHC-1500 (mini hifi compenent system) to drive the SRD7 for about five years back in college.

I have also used my Woo WEE with the toppings and my Taboo MKIII all seem to work just fine.
As far as how it (the toppings/srd7) sounds...whenever I brought the rig to a meet everyone seemed to like it, FWIW.

I am getting a BHSE with normal bias and Pro bias (whenever it is done), so I will be able to do direct comparisons then. My view may change then I suppose.

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #5,284 of 25,430

3. The ear cups sit over the ears as opposed to on, so my ears don't get so hot.

Nice decision tree there.
beerchug.gif
 ok, technically not a tree but...justification list??
However, aren't both of these phones over ear?
blink.gif
what am I missing here???
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #5,286 of 25,430
  Nice decision tree there.
beerchug.gif
 ok, technically not a tree but...justification list??
However, aren't both of these phones over ear?
blink.gif
what am I missing here???
confused_face_2.gif

The 007s are over ear, and the 507 sit on top. The cup size of the 007 also has a flat at the back to fit the ear shape. It makes a very good seal and improves bass response IMO.

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #5,287 of 25,430
The big shortfall with the 007 design IMO is that the cups do not rotate laterally, allowing them to adjust to the shape of the head.  Yes, the leather ear cushions themselves rotate around the cups and are shaped, but that is no substitute for being able to rotate the cup back and forth like any other headphone I own.  That's my only real complaint about them ergonomically and it's a pretty material one.

HS

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #5,288 of 25,430
You can bend the 007's front arcs such that the front of the cups move away or towards the front of head.
Same applies to the rear arcs, but it's the front ones most people need to adjust, in most cases to bend the front away from the head for a looser fit. This typically sounds better, as well as getting a more comfortable fit for big headed people.

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #5,289 of 25,430

The 007s are over ear, and the 507 sit on top. The cup size of the 007 also has a flat at the back to fit the ear shape. It makes a very good seal and improves bass response IMO.

Hmm, interesting I always thought the 507 were just like my Lambda NB, which are around the ears...

Personally, I like the fit of the 009 the best. 007 are close second.

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #5,290 of 25,430
Hmm, interesting I always thought the 507 were just like my Lambda NB, which are around the ears...

Personally, I like the fit of the 009 the best. 007 are close second.

I second that. The 009 is the most comfortable STAX ever, and at least on the top 3 most comfortable headphones I've worn period. The 007 is really comfortable too but it's hard to get a great fit as there is not much flexibility in terms of earcup adjustment. And I prefer the fixed arc of the 009 as opposed to the self-adjusting headband of the 007. Sound wise I don't think it's as simple as the 009 being all together superior, but construction wise the 009 is much fancier and more ergonomic.

Lambdas are also quite comfortable but they can touch your ears, as the earpads are smaller and shallower than those of the 007/009.

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #5,291 of 25,430
I second that. The 009 is the most comfortable STAX ever, and at least on the top 3 most comfortable headphones I've worn period. The 007 is really comfortable too but it's hard to get a great fit as there is not much flexibility in terms of earcup adjustment. And I prefer the fixed arc of the 009 as opposed to the self-adjusting headband of the 007. Sound wise I don't think it's as simple as the 009 being all together superior, but construction wise the 009 is much fancier and more ergonomic.

Lambdas are also quite comfortable but they can touch your ears, as the earpads are smaller and shallower than those of the 007/009.

+1

I wonder if anyone takes the round spring out of the 007s?  I prefer them that way more, less turning all the time and more fixed.  

Jun 28, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #5,292 of 25,430
Hello

i am referring to an old post on page 53 of the former Stax Thread. May be somebody can help.

Thread an post : (Its Post 791 by audiod)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/780#post_2785425

Member "audiod" postet a "Stax High Voltage Supply" for normal and High Bias. I copied the circuit and build it on a new neutral circuit board.

I have an Stax SRD-6/sb

http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/medium/526956/stax-srd-6-sb-schaltplan_559890.jpg

Moreover i followed the instuction of a member and removed the speakeroutput part and connected the transformers directly. Also i placed a needed extra 230V~ cable from the outside and installed a main switch to  switch this 230V~.

But then problems started. My local dealer didnt know what "audiod" ment with the Z1100. He knew it is a bidirectional diode but values ?? He gave me one and i tried it but i could only measure 100V LB and 200V HB. (I know that with the inner resistance of the Measurement tool it might be a little more in real but just about +1/3. And it sounded not good (distorted, no bass)

Then i was exploring what was wrong:

- Measured parallel after "my" Zenerdiode and got 55V (which again might be a lack of measurement tool)
- Then i removed the Zener and wow - i got a klling maschine. 580V LB and 1000+ at the HB (measured at the connector)

Knowing that this again might be more i might have 880V and 1000++

I now run the maschine on the LB with 580V/880V (measured/real) which is at the edge of what my earspeakers can handle (SR-003).

I´d really appreciate to come back to the diagram with an zener but with overall correct values. So - can anybody translate this (audiod´s) circuit diagramm to 230V~ input setting and tell me which Zener to use ? May be i have to change the place where i connect the LB/HB output part to the cascade tree ?

I would like to have in the end a proper 230V and 580V probias"signal"

Thanks

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #5,294 of 25,430
  Hello

i am referring to an old post on page 53 of the former Stax Thread. May be somebody can help.

Thread an post : (Its Post 791 by audiod)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/780#post_2785425

Member "audiod" postet a "Stax High Voltage Supply" for normal and High Bias. I copied the circuit and build it on a new neutral circuit board.

I have an Stax SRD-6/sb

http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/medium/526956/stax-srd-6-sb-schaltplan_559890.jpg

Moreover i followed the instuction of a member and removed the speakeroutput part and connected the transformers directly. Also i placed a needed extra 230V~ cable from the outside and installed a main switch to  switch this 230V~.

But then problems started. My local dealer didnt know what "audiod" ment with the Z1100. He knew it is a bidirectional diode but values ?? He gave me one and i tried it but i could only measure 100V LB and 200V HB. (I know that with the inner resistance of the Measurement tool it might be a little more in real but just about +1/3. And it sounded not good (distorted, no bass)

Then i was exploring what was wrong:

- Measured parallel after "my" Zenerdiode and got 55V (which again might be a lack of measurement tool)
- Then i removed the Zener and wow - i got a klling maschine. 580V LB and 1000+ at the HB (measured at the connector)

Knowing that this again might be more i might have 880V and 1000++

I now run the maschine on the LB with 580V/880V (measured/real) which is at the edge of what my earspeakers can handle (SR-003).

I´d really appreciate to come back to the diagram with an zener but with overall correct values. So - can anybody translate this (audiod´s) circuit diagramm to 230V~ input setting and tell me which Zener to use ? May be i have to change the place where i connect the LB/HB output part to the cascade tree ?

I would like to have in the end a proper 230V and 580V probias"signal"

Thanks

You need to ask Kevin G and Birgir about this kind of 'advanced' DIY. Beware there are lethal voltages besides wrecking your Headphones. IMO you are insane for altering the bias current.....

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #5,295 of 25,430
did anybody heard Carbon or Cyclotron? I am really curious how it compares to T2 diy,BHSE and kgssHV

Oooh ME TO!!. I have read on some posts 'at the other place'  that the Carbon may be better for the 009 than the KGSShv standard amplifier
or maybe even the BHSE!! If this proves true it will be great for the Stax community, as clearly having a top of the tree SS Electrostatic amp alongside the BHSE / Eddie Current/WOO has to be a good thing. It's what keeps this community interesting IMO. Having said that, a factory produced Carbon will probably never happen, so it will not hit the mainstream Stax users who want to buy from dealers at demo's, rather the audiophiles on this forum and the other place.

I am not a tech but as I understand it the Carbon uses radically different FETs on the output that can be run above 10A maybe up to 50A. Chime in if this is not the case folks. However that can't be the whole story, as I also read just adding more amperage capability does not guarantee better sound. 

Of course, all this generates extra heat, even though the carbon can handle more, so it will no doubt get pretty hot, hotter than a KGSShv.

And close to the power / voltage swings on the BHSE and closer to a valve output stage which dissipates it's heat from the tube. I find it dead interesting
that we are talking about leading edge Carbon Fets and still asking if it is better than a 1930's EL34 tube Ha Ha. This hobby is so fascinating indeed.

I would be interested in the Carbon if it was built by a good DIYer, and the casework was good.
I don't have the knowledge to try a build myself. My respect to anyone who takes it on and wows everyone with the results. 
I am sure once a few non builders buy one a review will pop up mighty quick, hopefully driving the 009s.

KGSShv - Exciting times ahead then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back