The Stax Thread III
Jan 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,351 of 25,472
  There are some strong indications that the drivers that STAX are providing for the Airbows are not the same as the standard drivers.  At least that was the case with the 404's.  It's more likely that the improvements are because of what drivers are in there than the "treatments".  I going on reports from others on this...

The treatments are, in other words, BS. I know from Spritzer that these Lambdas are better sounding than the 404s. However, them reaching the level of SR009 or SR007 is absurd because of the limitations of the Lambda design (driver and housing). Perhaps the cryo treatment gives that added edge?

Jan 20, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,352 of 25,472
Sorry to change directions, but I've been rotating phones to listen to a new QB-9 I picked up and after several days of listening on the 009, I switched to a Lambda Signature, which I picked up used recently and was stunned to hear a much richer texture.  Perhaps less detail, but incredible sense of body on assorted classical music.  It was immediately noticeable--am I imagining this?  Any thoughts?

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #1,353 of 25,472
Can someone tell me if this T1S amp can work on US voltage? It lists 100V,117V, 220V, 240V on the rear but under the plug says 240V  can you just plug in the US power cord and it'll work?

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #1,354 of 25,472
  I have had the pleasure of spending nearly a week listening to the Stax SR-009 with the 8PS and LL2 amplifiers, and here are some thoughts.

During this period I have not listened to the LAu / Abyss at all, and in the coming weeks I will try to post some thoughts on the 009 and Abyss....

Great review Gavin!
The beauty of this hobby is that sometimes the opinions on a particular product differ dramatically even among experienced players. Although I agree with most of your findings regarding the two amps, my conclusion happens to be exactly the opposite of yours: I found the 8ps is the warmer, more musical one while the LL2 being more neutral(a bit on the cold side maybe), more clinical sounding. How interesting is that!

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #1,356 of 25,472

Great review Gavin!
The beauty of this hobby is that sometimes the opinions on a particular product differ dramatically even among experienced players. Although I agree with most of your findings regarding the two amps, my conclusion happens to be exactly the opposite of yours: I found the 8ps is the warmer, more musical one while the LL2 being more neutral(a bit on the cold side maybe), more clinical sounding. How interesting is that!

To be honest, I don't even feel Gavin and I listened to the same product when talking about the LL2! I appreciate the effort but the findings are so far of my impressions that I don't know what to think.

Arnaud

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #1,357 of 25,472

Great review Gavin!

Thanks buddy..

I think you have highlighted the salient point that opinions can differ immensely. But no problems there whatsoever. If opinions didn't differ there is no need for choices!

Can't wait to hear the 009 on your, hopefully, soon to arrive BHSE!

To be honest, I don't even feel Gavin and I listened to the same product when talking about the LL2! I appreciate the effort but the findings are so far of my impressions that I don't know what to think.

Arnaud

Arnaud

Hiya. It is indeed interesting regarding the LL2..........

My good friend, an audiophile like myself, was just at my place to listen to both amps with the 009. He also prefers the LL2. I really don't understand why the LL2 sounded the way it did in Tokyo?!!?! 

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #1,358 of 25,472

I really don't understand why the LL2 sounded the way it did in Tokyo?!!?! 

I never heard from Alex if there really was an issue with the amplifier sent. Maybe 100V/50Hz screwed things up, yet again it's not like what I described was totally new, Peter's (MacedonianHero) and Birgir's (spritzer) findings were along the same lines for an mk1 I recall, at least for the bass quality.

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #1,359 of 25,472

I never heard from Alex if there really was an issue with the amplifier sent. Maybe 100V/50Hz screwed things up, yet again it's not like what I described was totally new, Peter's (MacedonianHero) and Birgir's (spritzer) findings were along the same lines for an mk1 I recall, at least for the bass quality.

I agree with Gavin on the soundstage which I mentioned to you too when we were listening together. And I found the LL2 somewhat more laid back (but too laid back for the 007, but fine for the 009; which I mentioned to Alex). Not certain if I heard the rest of what Gavin had mentioned though.

But I have the same suspicion as you about the voltage. I understand a difference of 17V (100V -> 117V component) would impact bass from past discussions with some makers. The problem was that the LL2 we had was mislabeled altogether so we don't know what it was set at.

The rest of the differences we had vs Gavin was the DAC used and we were probably more blasé about the cables being used and isolation pads, etc.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,361 of 25,472
There are several different arrangements for changing the voltage on these amps, but you'll need to make a change before you just plug it in.  

Looks like you've got the cover off, can you take some internal shots?

Quote:
  Can someone tell me if this T1S amp can work on US voltage? It lists 100V,117V, 220V, 240V on the rear but under the plug says 240V  can you just plug in the US power cord and it'll work?

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #1,362 of 25,472
Hi, I have a question for Kevin or Spitz (or for everyone that can help me).
I have an SRM-600 LTD and I would try to transform it in a 006Ts.
I think that I have to change the 4+4 plate resistors (with what kind) and to change some contact in the valves sockets and then use two 6CG7.
May someone be more precise so I can proceed in this transformation?
Also: do you think that is a good idea (I have a 507 to drive) or not?

Thank You in advance
PP

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,364 of 25,472
  The treatments are, in other words, BS. I know from Spritzer that these Lambdas are better sounding than the 404s. However, them reaching the level of SR009 or SR007 is absurd because of the limitations of the Lambda design (driver and housing). Perhaps the cryo treatment gives that added edge?

I believe that the drivers are actually re-tensioned in addition to being cryogenically treated. I agree that they won't reach 00* levels but at the end of the day it still falls to preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back