The Stax Thread III
Nov 22, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #871 of 25,433
Did you order a BHSE ?

Ordered over a year ago, decided on the color, cancelled the order, changed my mind and went back on, want another color now but haven't heard from justin about that one as he probably thinks I am incapable of making up my mind :wink:.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #873 of 25,433
What metal is worthy of Stax? Just interested, am always having a hard time finding decent metal recordings.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #874 of 25,433
What metal is worthy of Stax? Just interested, am always having a hard time finding decent metal recordings.

Good question. Below are some that I found to have decent/good recordings and I actually mostly listen to with my SR009s. Effectively all metal goes perfectly with the SR007s though.

- Agalloch (Progressive/Black/Acoustic Metal)
- Rhapsody (Power metal)
- In Flames (Gothenburg metal) - except a couple early ones
- post 2000s Rotting Christ (black metal)
- Sepultura (Death Metal)
- Turisas (Viking Metal)
- Opeth (Progressive Metal)
- Lake of Tears (gothic/doom metal)
- Ensiferum (viking)

If they have remasters I tend to go with those.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #875 of 25,433

- Opeth (Progressive Metal)

beerchug.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #876 of 25,433
I like slayers south of heaven and reign in blood along with the earlier metallica. Some of children of bodom's work is listenable as well, also Lamb of god. Never really got into Opeth for example. What I have heard seems slightly bland and lacks dynamics to the point of being fatigueing. That's how I feel about a lot of metal. I have only heard 'Watershed', though.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #878 of 25,433
  I like slayers south of heaven and reign in blood along with the earlier metallica. Some of children of bodom's work is listenable as well, also Lamb of god. Never really got into Opeth for example. What I have heard seems slightly bland and lacks dynamics to the point of being fatigueing. That's how I feel about a lot of metal. I have only heard 'Watershed', though.

Yeah, good mention, Children of Bodom. With the exception of 'Something Wild' which I actually like a lot, but the recording severely lacks dynamics and sounds compressed, the rest are progressively better in SQ. Well mostly.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #879 of 25,433
Follow the Reaper for the win! I kinda like Gojira, but again there's this lack of dynamics.. Wintersun with their album 'time' is quite cool btw, especially if you know how it is produced/mixed. Not that I really dig it, but it's cool.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #880 of 25,433
Vildhjarta.
Good stuff this. I really like where the thread is going. More metal for Stax is always awesome. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
  Follow the Reaper for the win! I kinda like Gojira, but again there's this lack of dynamics.. Wintersun with their album 'time' is quite cool btw, especially if you know how it is produced/mixed. Not that I really dig it, but it's cool.

Yes, Gojira I really like as a band. I did not mention them on purpose for that same reason. It sounds quite flat on high-end gear. It is however OK on portable gear, so it's my commuting music. :)

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #881 of 25,433
So.. Crème de la crème? I'll nominate some of the Slayer stuff and 'master of puppets' as well with my Stax gear. Just my opinion, haven't really digged too deep yet. Guess we better soon round this off before it gets too OT

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #882 of 25,433
Anathema has to be mentioned. Some recordings are almost benchmark level. I didn't mention them right away, but after thinking a bit about it they still classify as metal.

Nov 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #884 of 25,433
  Anathema has to be mentioned. Some recordings are almost benchmark level. I didn't mention them right away, but after thinking a bit about it they still classify as metal.

Anathema's Weather Systems is a benchmark recording for me. Gojira's Way of All Flesh and The Link are clean too, the newer one, not so much.

Thanks to you guys I have discovered Anathema.
beerchug.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #885 of 25,433
L3000.gif
 Some of my favourite Anathema songs (not necessarily because of the recording): Judgement, Hope, Release (love the beggining. benchmark level), Panic, Anyone Anywhere,  Untouchable Part 1 (another benchmark). 

Quote:
  Anathema's Weather Systems is a benchmark recording for me. Gojira's Way of All Flesh and The Link are clean too, the newer one, not so much.

Hey, thanks for that. Actually "The Link (Re-Release, 2005)" sounds very very clean indeed. SR-009 enjoyable clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back