The Stax Thread III
Jan 12, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #13,726 of 25,433
@JimL11
OK, got the parts. I'm gonna start with the cap replacement. I don't know how to go about discharging the capacitors. I've set my multimeter to 500v dc, set the probes on the solder piles, and I get nothing - no voltage at all. I am almost certain there's still voltage in those things and I don't plan on dying, lol. What am I doing wrong?

No voltage means your cap isn't charged. If you're not sure that it is your meter that is broken, just touch both terminals of the cap with the ends of a resistor (500 ohms at least) and leave it touching for a few seconds. The higher the resistance of your resistor, the slower it drains the cap. Then, use a screwdriver to drain the remaining charge.

Edit: Honestly, though, it's not the best idea to tinker with these high voltage devices if you didn't already have the necessarily knowledge. But since you're already committed, I would recommend draining all the surrounding caps as well, just in case you might accidentally touch them and get a painful zap, or stop your heart from beating. :beer:

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #13,727 of 25,433
No voltage means your cap isn't charged. If you're not sure that it is your meter that is broken, just touch both terminals of the cap with the ends of a resistor (500 ohms at least) and leave it touching for a few seconds. The higher the resistance of your resistor, the slower it drains the cap. Then, use a screwdriver to drain the remaining charge.
I tested the multimeter with both the wall outlet and a 9v battery and both read fine. With this being done, you pretty sure it's that the cap is drained?

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #13,731 of 25,433
Put a screwdrive on each solder point at once?
Uhh that question sounds like you're thinking you need two screwdrivers lol. No. Use one resistor and make contact with both terminals simultaneously. And then use ONE screwdriver to finish the job. If you don't use the resistor first, you risk damaging the cap. If you can't access the terminals directly (cap is situated very close to board), then yes, find the solder joints on the other side of the board.

So I'm guessing one reason why you didn't get a voltage before may be because your meter leads didn't touch the right solder joints, since it doesn't seem like you have direct access to the capacitor terminals, and you may be struggling to find the right solder points on the other side of the board. If that is the case, you should understand that it is seriously dangerous for you to continue on given your inexperience.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #13,732 of 25,433
Uhh that question sounds like you're thinking you need two screwdrivers lol. No. Use one resistor and make contact with both terminals simultaneously. And then use ONE screwdriver to finish the job. If you don't use the resistor first, you risk damaging the cap. If you can't access the terminals directly (cap is situated very close to board), then yes, find the solder joints on the other side of the board.

So I'm guessing one reason why you didn't get a voltage before may be because your meter leads didn't touch the right solder joints, since it doesn't seem like you have direct access to the capacitor terminals, and you may be struggling to find the right solder points on the other side of the board. If that is the case, you should understand that it is seriously dangerous for you to continue on given your inexperience.
Nah just figured out the units weren't right for the multimeter/ Instead of measuring the hundreds of volts I should have been measuring in millivolts. Turns out some of the caps have a couple hundred mV's in them. Using a resistor took care of them quickly. Thanks for your help.

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #13,733 of 25,433
20180112_155120.jpg
Does this look safe to you? It 's the resistor attached to a wooden dowel with electrical tape.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #13,735 of 25,433
I do not recommend using a screwdriver or pliers across a capacitor unless you want a nice divot where they connect. A 5000 ohm 10 watt resistor will gradually drain the charge from a PS cap without the sparks and drama. In any case, the T1 is mostly transistor, so if it's been off and unplugged from the power line overnight the PS should be pretty much drained.

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #13,736 of 25,433
I meant using the pliers to hold the resistor, but I agree. Resistor to discharge always. Screwdriver if you're bored and don't care about the cap, or to finish up the draining in the case you don't have a meter nearby to monitor the voltage, for extra safety. If you use a resistor with too high resistance, you could end up only partially draining...and then ZAP!

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #13,737 of 25,433
Nah just figured out the units weren't right for the multimeter/ Instead of measuring the hundreds of volts I should have been measuring in millivolts

Yay, someone had a learning experience! Remember, an expert is just someone who knows all the possible ways to fail.

A 5000 ohm 10 watt resistor will gradually drain the charge from a PS cap without the sparks and drama

Don't let that fuddy-duddy jim11 tell you the sparks and drama are a bad thing, everybody knows they're the best part about playing with caps! :L3000: Yes I'm the guy in science class who dropped the little potassium nugget into a water filled beaker

(Just kidding @JimL11, I actually do appreciate your posts :) )

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #13,740 of 25,433
Update: I got 4 of the smaller caps off the board no problem. I'm gonna need to wait for solder wick to come in to handle the rest. In the meanwhile, I dunno which way to put the caps in (they do have a polarity, right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back