The Stax Thread III
Nov 19, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #13,441 of 25,427
It is too early to say anything about the Libratum v3 sound, especially when it seems to trigger mockery, but a short listen to thinker's v3 was promising: a very fluid, balanced, relaxed sound, no issues I could find, it is both neutral and musical, with an especially beautiful and smooth midrange. However, sensitivity is lower than even the 007, it definitely needs powerful amp, otherwise on lesser amps it might sound less dynamic.

It reminded me to the 009 more than to the the 007 Mk1, but without any treble issues. I haven't heard the MrSpeakers ES, but based on others opinions it seems they are of similar sound character with the v3, and share lower sensitivity, too. From memory, my version of Libratum v2 perhaps had more excitement, but v3 is definitely more correct. Somehow the v3 reminded me to the Orpheus 2 listening experience, at least the sound character was similar: there is a beautiful midrange without any shouting anywhere, a treble very slightly rolled off rather than over-present, a bass that is deep, impactful and controlled. However, when I just listen to instruments, my 007 Mk1 (with modded pads) feels just a little more alive than the v3 (and the 009).

I'd say the 007 Mk1, 009 and Libratum V3 are on a similar quality level, with different gripes: the 007 Mk1 is a bit shelved down on treble and needs quality power to be driven properly, the 009 has some treble issues on most amps and needs expensive amps to sound good, and the Libratum v3 needs a lot more power than even the 007 Mk1. The good news is that I think the Libratum v3 will sound good from a good transistor amp, too (I prefer tube amps, especially the BHSE with the 009 and 007, and to my ears the 009 sound has a tendency to harden up on transistor amps).

Maybe wait for a few months to see how stable and consistent the V3 is, but sound quality wise there is nothing I could complain about at the moment. Canorum v2 was perhaps a bit more dynamic, but not as neutral. If one likes the 007 Mk2 more, would likely prefer the Canorum (now v2, or in the future, v3), and if one likes the 009 more, would likely prefer the Libratum v3. Micro- and macrodynamic capabilities of the 009 and v3 are similar, but the 009 is far more efficient. Anyway, the Stax mafia should be happy for new opportunities in amp making (on an unrelated note, I dislike the T8000: imho it is hard sounding and brings bad treble, but good bass out of the 009).

I could see people preferring the 009 or even the 007 with an amp like the BHSE or Carbon or GG, but for a newcomer Phenomenon makes remarkably near-perfect headphone sound.

Mind you again this all is based on a short listening on a new headphone. I will update (and possibly change opinion) when I will get mine and have a few weeks/months experience with it. Also, I am very curious of the Canorum v3 - need to speak nicely to thinker if I want to listen to it :).

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #13,442 of 25,427
Technically, new stators, new diaphragm, new pads. About the sound maybe later.

Also, @thinker, why did you send yours back, just for the upgraded driver?

Yes.Dima said he can make it even better maybe new drivers V3.0 ?
Thank you both for the replies, and your listening impressions.
Looking forward to hearing more impressions from both of you after more time spent with the Libratum v3.

Dima also mentioned that anytime there is an upgrade to the drivers, they could be sent back (at the cost of shipping) for a free upgrade. This makes me feel comfortable incase something unfortunately should go wrong with the drivers as well.

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #13,443 of 25,427
I seriously Never had any trebles issues with SR-009 and neither of any of my Kg Amps, not with Carbon, not with Grounded Grid, especially Never with T2.

I don’t know about the 009 being efficient claims, but I can tell you that Carbon and Grounded Grid is not “weak amps”, but then the T2 is “a legendary beast”. The 009 scales up obviously with each amps. To have such powerful T2 to really push the 009 into this performances, I may have to rethink the claims of 009 being an efficient Headphones

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #13,444 of 25,427
Yeah, maybe we need to standardize terminology. Anyway, the 009 sounds louder than the 007, which sounds louder than the Libratum. Also, they do scale up in dynamics with more powerful amps.

What you seem to mean by "scale up" relates to sound quality, i.e the latter, not loudness, right?

Nov 19, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #13,445 of 25,427
Question to experienced SR007 Mk1 users:
What is the difference in sound between early 70xxx, 71xxx and late SZ1? I have the opportunity to buy a minty SZ1 but understand the early variants are more sought after. Would there be a good reason to avoid this mint SZ1? Is it closer to Mk2 than early Mk1?

Nov 21, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #13,447 of 25,427
Finally, I found a matched Quad of ECC88 from SQ Philips from Heerlen productions. The wait was long, but worth it. My T2 had every counts of measurements ridiculously stable within spec, and there is 0 Noises, no hums even at Maxed out Volume !!!

The sound improvements is immediately observed. Tighter and more controlled bass, layering and separation vastly improved. Especially that detailed finery from the trebles each and every plays. The depth of stage and cues of positioning presentations are out of this world. Trebles extend to infinity, so sweet, so natural, so real, and super vivid ! The timbres and tonal body achieve another level of naturalness + Realism, then the air, the flows, the sweet sound....I run out of words to put it in. The combinations of SQ Heerlen Philips ECC88 and Blackburn Xf2 double 00 EL-34. This is higher than drugs....not that I ever did drug but this performances is crazy!

The seller told me that tubes need burnin, and I can already hear the improvements. It can only get better from here ! WoooOO

B20B39F2-FBC0-41BB-9F59-F6FB751981BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #13,451 of 25,427
Which tubes made more significant improvement to sound on the T2 when tube rolling? The input or output tubes?

Both outputs and input tubes will effect the sound performances. But significantly will have to be the input tubes from my observation

Could also be that because I already had xf2 in when I swapped input tubes ? I don’t want to bother swapping them out. But both sets of tubes will effect the performances.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #13,452 of 25,427
Finally, I found a matched Quad of ECC88 from SQ Philips from Heerlen productions. The wait was long, but worth it. My T2 had every counts of measurements ridiculously stable within spec, and there is 0 Noises, no hums even at Maxed out Volume !!!

The sound improvements is immediately observed. Tighter and more controlled bass, layering and separation vastly improved. Especially that detailed finery from the trebles each and every plays. The depth of stage and cues of positioning presentations are out of this world. Trebles extend to infinity, so sweet, so natural, so real, and super vivid ! The timbres and tonal body achieve another level of naturalness + Realism, then the air, the flows, the sweet sound....I run out of words to put it in. The combinations of SQ Heerlen Philips ECC88 and Blackburn Xf2 double 00 EL-34. This is higher than drugs....not that I ever did drug but this performances is crazy!

The seller told me that tubes need burnin, and I can already hear the improvements. It can only get better from here ! WoooOO

Can your amp accept any of the 6922 family of tubes?

In my tube rolling I found the more powerful the tubes, the better it sounded, i.e: 6N23P > E188CC > CCa > E88CC > ECC88.

The ECC88/6DJ8 tubes were the weakest of the bunch.

Nov 26, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #13,453 of 25,427
Did hear today after 6 months Transdyn with modded Quad Float headphones ,as result i still consider it to be one of the best electrostatic combos on the market.

And some news: I will get from a research lab an electrostatic headphone wich drivers are made of graphene.I will report nothing before i have them in my hands, maybe in month or two.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #13,454 of 25,427
Did hear today after 6 months Transdyn with modded Quad Float headphones ,as result i still consider it to be one of the best electrostatic combos on the market.

And some news: I will get from a research lab an electrostatic headphone with drivers made of graphene.I will report nothing before i have them in my hands, maybe in month or two.

You can not claim such thing when you don’t have sufficient experiences in other systems such as 009+T2 or Orpheus , HE-1, Shrangila, And without enough evidence to support this. This is agains the forum posting guides here.

You can only only claim that it is the best you have ever heard, and that is fine. Because no one will care about what you have heard so far.

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #13,455 of 25,427
Can your amp accept any of the 6922 family of tubes?

In my tube rolling I found the more powerful the tubes, the better it sounded, i.e: 6N23P > E188CC > CCa > E88CC > ECC88.

The ECC88/6DJ8 tubes were the weakest of the bunch.
CCa is too expensive :frowning2: ECC88 is the Philips I have, so I will just stop here as the improvements are better than my current JJ tubes. Nos tubes are astronomically pricey so tubes rolling on NOS Tubes is pretty ridiculous :D

Thanks for the tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back