The Stax Thread III
Nov 18, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #13,426 of 25,433
I have nothing to do with this company,only customer.The Canorum the oval shape model i send back to Russia and it gets new drivers installed.
so you are just relaying information from the manufactor, as I assume you didn't do the fq-response yourself (since it was publish without the 007/009 you reference) or have insights into how the dust and moisture problems was actually solved?

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #13,428 of 25,433
However, if you're using the headphones in the middle of summer and the sweat gets into the driver, what will happen?
hqdefault.jpg

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #13,429 of 25,433
I think the creator mentioned that the membrane is graphenes. It repel dusts and humidity, and he specifically told me that it does not have dust shield

I wonder on what date that statement was made. I've been discussing drivers a lot with the maker during the past year, including dismissing the dust cover (for much improved dynamics), but he did end up using dust cover membranes.
At least in my Libratum v2 the drivers were protected. They sounded and measured completely neutral, but I wasn't too happy for the small midrange bump it had (though less than the 009). It took me a while to improve the pads so that they start to truly sing, and then they were so good it was incredible, like tears-level good. I didn't want any change to them any more, but unfortunately the diaphragms were the slow charging ones, and also developed an issue, a low volume random static noise. I had to send them back for the v3 stator + diaphragm change, it's being done free of charge, except for shipping. While I am sure they won't have the same problems, but whether will they have the same sound I kind of doubt. The maker claims they are better now. Let's see.

For any case, the rate at which these headphones improved between versions is impressive, the guy definitely knows his science. They already sound very good, somewhere between the Stax 007 and 009. The Libratum 2 was like a more open 007 Mk1, or a 009 without treble issues, but less sensitive than either (less sonic problems as well). The Canorum 2 was more like more open 007 Mk2. The difference between the Libratum and Canorum is similar to the difference between the 007 Mk1 and Mk2. You need very powerful amps with these, and the higher the bias the better (up to 800V).

So the standing question now is how durable and consistent the headphones will be. Only time will tell, but I am sure the maker will take good care of the issues. He is knowledgeable and trustable.
I am definitely thrilled there are new players on the market, the MrSpeakers ES, the Phenomenon headphones, and hopefully more to come. It is also impressive the newcomers catch with the 007/009 sound quality level. I don't think Stax has to fear disruption, but tough competition, yes.

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #13,430 of 25,433
I have the feeling the designer put his whole life to this project and he is serious about it.These are very emotional phones and for me they present life/reality as it is.You hear every detail from bass to highs and somehow it's feather light , almost spiritual presentation.These are easy to drive and are ready to play in instance ,no charging time here.The price is about 1400 USD

The maker told me that price barely covers the materials + outsourced parts costs, not even counting the real hours. The titanium frame, headband with adjustable pressure, diaphragm development etc all cost money. Basically you've got a prototype at self-cost level, for beta-testing and possibly frequent updates. Once this becomes stable and productized (imagine QC costs and the machinery needed to keep QC consistent) I expect commercial price will be way much more.

Nov 18, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #13,431 of 25,433
@thinker , @zolkis all very touching and moving ... gives the impression that his business is all based on altruism ... probably not.
Anyways, you are, as far as I have noticed, the only one praising his stuff; it might be fantastic, or might not be so fantasico - at the other site one has raised some critique, and the response is: "Oh, but he has the old, old model, the one I have here is newest, and so mucho, mucho maximus über better; as in jaw dropping, tears running down my cheeks, better, I can't move, barely type in this, is as good it is ...
...some russian comes around and does what STAX, who has been leading the business for decades, apparently cannot ...

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #13,433 of 25,433
So that video proves what? That they output sound..

Look I think everyone here would be over joyed at the introduction of competition to stax. The problem is when your review of the headphones sounds like an evangelist, you give up credibility.

The one trusted source we have actually liked their sound but presented several issues that needed to be solved. Which is totally to be expected for a product in development.

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #13,436 of 25,433
@thinker , @zolkis all very touching and moving ... gives the impression that his business is all based on altruism ... probably not.
Anyways, you are, as far as I have noticed, the only one praising his stuff; it might be fantastic, or might not be so fantasico - at the other site one has raised some critique, and the response is: "Oh, but he has the old, old model, the one I have here is newest, and so mucho, mucho maximus über better; as in jaw dropping, tears running down my cheeks, better, I can't move, barely type in this, is as good it is ...
...some russian comes around and does what STAX, who has been leading the business for decades, apparently cannot ...

LOL! Can’t say any better than this

I'll stick with my 007 and 009, thanks.

I am interested in the MrSpeakers estat coming, though.

Yeah, I agree :D . Even so, I still better save up for Stax upcoming rather than...cheesing around to just spend more money in the end

Nov 18, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #13,437 of 25,433
Defensive talk, guys. Yeah, I guess more owners needed. Only Spritzer and me had Libratum v2, only thinker has Libratum v3. But why this hatred? I still have Stax headphones, and so does thinker. Take a break.

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #13,438 of 25,433
Only Spritzer and me had Libratum v2, only thinker has Libratum v3.
Do any of you know the changes to the v3 from the v2?
Also, @thinker, why did you send yours back, just for the upgraded driver?

PS: I have no hatred toward any new headphones, especially being I haven't heard them for myself. I'm actually got in touch with Dima and I'm waiting for the total cost for the LIBRATUM + shipping, which is why I'm asking these questions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back