The Stax Thread III
Jul 21, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #22,741 of 25,476
Just got my SR007 Mk2 back from loan. To be more specific, it is a port modded 007 Mk2.0 version, works very well with the Carbon, much better than the standard KGSSHV - no EQ needed, only lowering the volume. Up to this point, I preferred the elegant, airy Mk1 every single time.
But in this setting with the Carbon, this has been reversed. I even prefer the smaller, more focused stage. The 007 magic like the focus, etc. still there.

All is well with the world - for now :wink:

Jul 21, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #22,743 of 25,476
only lowering the volume
What does this mean? You're just saying Carbon is louder than HV, so the knob is at a diff place now?
I even prefer the smaller, more focused stage
Mostly a difference from the headphone version, not the amp? How small is small here, compared to a given dynamic/planar? HD660 size? HE6? Mobius? DT880? Larger than L300?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #22,744 of 25,476
What does this mean? You're just saying Carbon is louder than HV, so the knob is at a diff place now?

Mostly a difference from the headphone version, not the amp? How small is small here, compared to a given dynamic/planar? HD660 size? HE6? Mobius? DT880? Larger than L300?
No, as I wrote before, the Carbon is much cleaner but warmer (having more in the deep bass as well as tamed-down treble), and the bass-heavy character becomes more apparent as the volume goes up. So I am more comfortable listening at a lower volume to reduce this as the sound still has clarity and punch. If I do this on a lesser amp, the sound simply becomes weak and unenjoyable.
I was even thinking of reversing the port mod, might be more natural in the deep bass, but then I would have even bigger hump to deal with in the mid-bass.
I am still finding it bass-heavy on well-recorded music, so the Lambda Pro complements it nicely (for example, Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon just plain better I think, more balanced and powerful) where the opposite can happen. Even though this amp brings it down a lot, it can still be too thin and bright, it's just the Lambda Pro's character. Or I can start fiddling with the EQ on the Mk2 as well in the bass region, etc.

The Mk1 version should be more balanced but in this configuration it is missing liveliness from the sound (whether I am listening at a low or high volume)
So a really a case of small differences making a big difference in overall character at this level.

As for the stage I am not too bothered, as long as it is not claustrophobic and with the Carbon it is not like that at all. The Mk1 is wider and more expansive sounding, but in this configuration, it might not have a nice balance in all dimensions, it has potential for more, just not with this amp (and/or source).

What I also observed with this level of amplification that the Stax headphones in general have so much clarity, that they can "get away" with quite a bit of tonal mismatch, as long as I don't find it annoying (by being too wispy, harsh dry, analytical or lifeless) I can get used to it rather well.
For example, the 007 plays a particular instrument in a "correct" way (meaning I can hear how clean its transients are or how nice the tone is in that small part of the music) and the brain just fills in the rest.
Casing point is the Sigma Pro, where it is obvious that the bass is booming no matter how well the Carbon can control it and giving much more clarity, it would probably still need a big dose of EQ. But, as I wrote before about this headphone, after a few minutes I just pick up that sound and enjoy it quite well (although I think it can reach a higher level after more tweaks). Flawed, but very organic and enjoyable and the Carbon is definitely recommended for it.

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #22,745 of 25,476
Source AV is the real deal and they have a BHSE for testing.
You can also audition Staxes and other electrostats with BHSE at HeadAmp - after all, Justin builds them.

You can call Justin and arrange a visit. He is a really nice guy, pleasure doing business with him.
https://www.headamp.com/
11544036.png

11544037.png

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #22,746 of 25,476
The world suddenly just got a whole lot bigger for me o_o Finally, a vacation trip worth taking!!

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #22,747 of 25,476
Almost. Cooter's 845 was very much inline with some better characteristic performance, the Circlotron was flat out better.

Who would have imagined T2's more feasible availability. Ha.

I feel Shanghai Sr system might have better clarify and high extension better suited for Classical.

Viva STX might has slightly better image, clarity, transparency and tonality.

Aperio Warwick may be more accurate with also better clarity and purity.

HE-1 might be more analogue and true to life with more textured bass

Woo 3se has better low extension, BHSE better mids and vocal.

Yet T2 is the giant killer and contender to Shangri-la and HE 1 level.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #22,749 of 25,476
I'm told no original T2 is functional due to some innate technical issue.
You probably misunderstood what was said. I'm guessing it was something like: no original SRM-T2 is 'fully' functional, since compared to the modern clone, it did not run at full power, there was more noise in the circuit resulting in some hum, and there are other issues like undersized power transformers and very bad heat management.
But, despite all this, most of them are still alive and well, and despite being destined to fail, I only saw a few faulty ones (which might have been rescued by now, who knows).

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #22,750 of 25,476
Original T2 aka SRM-T2, tight confined space trapping all the lovely heat and old component totally out of spec by now.
Also some component are under value so all in all the unit is doom to fail.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #22,751 of 25,476
I feel Shanghai Sr system might have better clarify and high extension better suited for Classical.

Viva STX might has slightly better image, clarity, transparency and tonality.

Aperio Warwick may be more accurate with also better clarity and purity.

HE-1 might be more analogue and true to life with more textured bass

Woo 3se has better low extension, BHSE better mids and vocal.

Yet T2 is the giant killer and contender to Shangri-la and HE 1 level.
Perhaps you are speculating.

I've heard BHSE, 3ES, Liquid Lightning, Electra, DIY T2, Carbon, Circlotron, Megatron, HE1, SGL many which were under direct comparison.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #22,752 of 25,476
As with all things, I don't really believe in a universal "best", as preferences and pairings are such high factors. I will say the T2 is the best I've heard and by a good margin. But the most impressive thing easily, is how well it synergizes with all stats. I think it's a pretty big deal, because there's so large of a "flavor" and presentation difference across all of the top stats out there. The amps I've used that bode well with the 009, don't necessarily do so for the 009, in example. So if you have a good amount of stats, it makes finding the right amp really challenging.

Everything I've put through the T2 sounds immaculate with amazing synergy. The 007 MK1 and SGL Sr. in particular had incredible boosts in performance over the BHSE and Aeras.

The one thing I would say is, if I only had easier to drive stats such as the HE60 and 009, I probably wouldn't spring for the T2. Of course they sound great, but there's less of a jump between it and say an amp at the BHSE's level.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #22,753 of 25,476

I've heard BHSE, 3ES, Liquid Lightning, Electra, DIY T2, Carbon, Circlotron, Megatron, HE1, SGL many which were under direct comparison.
I am owner of a few mentioned thanks just personal opinion as each of Amps have its forte to be recognized, never meaning to negate T2 because I bought it myself.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #22,754 of 25,476

How the DIY T2 vs the super rare Circlotron?

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #22,755 of 25,476
Confirmed: My SR-009 drivers need to be replaced. The technician took it apart and re-soldered the connection but that didn't fix the lower volume issue with the driver. Ah well, a new pair of drivers is the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back