The Stax Thread III
Jun 27, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #22,606 of 25,262
I'm assuming you've heard both? The es-1a is pretty dark in it's own right. Would be a bit worried about the sound being too dark with the combination, but not sure if it's mainly the drivers or how much the housing affects this.

--------

I think I would be more open to DIY mashups if I had backup pairs lying around. I really enjoy how distinct the 009, 007 and x9000 all are from one another, although that also contributes to the polarizing nature of the conversations on here lol. In any event, it's cool to see the customizations.
Did some more listening this weekend to ES-1a and 009 out of my KGSShv. The ES-1a is definitely dark. In fact its darkness is about as annoying as the 009's brightness (i.e. as heard on most amps, excluding T2). The top end overall sounds more recessed/relaxed than 007 Mk I. While the ES is certainly an impressive headphone and quite competitive, I started preferring the 009 in these sessions - brightness and all. The 007 Mk I has a lot of lovely warmth & body in the midrange and bass, but also has some nice energy & sparkle up top.

Stax brightness works different than on other headphones & speakers to my ears - it doesn't cause any discomfort or listening fatigue. So I can tolerate more than usual. I hadn't had a good 009 session in a long time (various reasons). It was great to get re-acquainted with the old friend again :)

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #22,607 of 25,262
More DIY Staxes on the way, i'm going to finish my work with a closed version of a Lambda signature. It's a mixture of Sigma and normal version and looks really cool, this phone sounds much better than earlier versions , it's relaxed smooth neutral balanced and sounds very open for a closed phone. Maybe end of this week it's done depends how the materials dry.

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #22,608 of 25,262
Did some more listening this weekend to ES-1a and 009 out of my KGSShv. The ES-1a is definitely dark. In fact its darkness is about as annoying as the 009's brightness (i.e. as heard on most amps, excluding T2). The top end overall sounds more recessed/relaxed than 007 Mk I. While the ES is certainly an impressive headphone and quite competitive, I started preferring the 009 in these sessions - brightness and all. The 007 Mk I has a lot of lovely warmth & body in the midrange and bass, but also has some nice energy & sparkle up top.

Stax brightness works different than on other headphones & speakers to my ears - it doesn't cause any discomfort or listening fatigue. So I can tolerate more than usual. I hadn't had a good 009 session in a long time (various reasons). It was great to get re-acquainted with the old friend again :)

Yea that was my assessment as well. The ES is clearly a bargain and does a lot very well, I just am not a huge fan of the darker tonality out of the box as is. I prefer the 009 and 007, but again the pricing is very impressive. I'm going to give it more time, but I'll likely put it up for sale for an attractive price.

Jun 27, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #22,609 of 25,262
I love the energy of the ES-1a and I guess I’m in the camp that doesn’t think it’s too dark. The ES-1a and x9000 are the two best performers in my stable now, hands down.

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #22,610 of 25,262
a diy prototype test unit with unfinished case for coming lambda signature closed model, a lot of work is ahead, probably going to use some light durable wood, the looks is like the black unit

IMG_1099.jpegLambda proto.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #22,611 of 25,262
Hi folks,

I'm new to the Stax world. At a local headphone get-together some time ago, I had the opportunity of demoing the SR009 and SR009S together with the WOO Audio WES and it was just magic. My current headphone setup includes the Audeze LCD5, LCD2Fazors, LCD2Closed Back driven by an iFi IDSD Pro and Audeze Deckard. While the Stax does not have the slam and speed of the LCD5, the "air" around instruments is just magical.

Long story short, I set out to finding an affordable Stax system and managed to get a used set of SR009 and a SRM007tII energiser for a decent price from the local Stax agent. The headphones physically are in good condition and while the energiser has a few surface scratches, it was serviced by the agent and functions as intended.

I have a few questions that I will appreciate some advice on:
- On the SR009 there is an arc-like sound in the left driver that comes and goes. The arc sound runs up and down the driver. When I demoed them at the agent I noticed it, pointed it out to the agent and he said it was normal. After about a minute the sound stopped. I have noticed the sound at home as well but it seems to stop after a minute or so after the headphones are plugged into the energiser. I've only done two listening sessions with them since getting them from the agent but both times had the sound shortly after plugging the headphones in. I'm not sure how normal this is and if it a showstopper. The headphones are fine with no volume difference between left and right drivers. The headphones have not been used in quite a time and has been kept at the agent in a box since buying it back from the previous owner, who sadly fell into alcoholism and then had financial troubles. I don't think he looked after the headphones as carefully as he should have.
- When I move my jaw around their is a slight but distinct pop of the drivers. I've read about the electrostatic farting and I assume this is it. I must actively try to get the headphones to do this, normal head movements do not provoke the sound.
- I've read that electrostatic headphones are sensitive to dust. How should I care for them? My other headphones are all on headphone stands in my study. Must the Stax be covered by plastic when placed on a stand when not in use to keep the dust out?
- Is their a correct way to clean the headphones? Can I use low speed on a blower to gently blow over the drivers to remove any dust that may be there from the previous owner's use of them?

Advice will be greatly appreciated.
camphoto_959030623.JPG

camphoto_1144747756.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #22,612 of 25,262
Must the Stax be covered by plastic when placed on a stand when not in use to keep the dust out?
If you're not going to put it completely away then do use a plastic cover. I got one for $20 on Amazon and it's big enough that I can get mine on my headphone stand with the cover on.

Jun 30, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #22,613 of 25,262
@drifter74
  • That arcing sound is definitely NOT NORMAL! First order of business it making sure it's the headphone (which sounds likely here) and not the amp. I would go back to the dealer; you absolutely don't want a problem that lingers or worsens over time. I would also be a bit annoyed with the dealer for trying to pull one over like that. We Stax enthusiasts aren't the "Beats" crowd. This stuff matters in the pursuit of sonic perfection.
  • Yes, the "Stax fart" doesn't actually sound like a fart at all. Whomever came up with that is not human. It is as you describe. That's normal.
  • It's a very good idea to keep your Stax in plastic when not in use. The Stax headphone stand and optional dust cover look nicer and are convenient to use. A well kept Stax headphone will hardly need cleaning, other than maybe the earpads. The drivers have built-in dust screens on both sides of the drivers, along with metal screens and earpad covers (that one's only on one side), but you don't want to over-rely on that and they are extremely easy to tear if anything gets past the metal screens. DON'T use a blower to clean, because you are likely to do more harm than good here!
  • I don't know if this helps, but I always unplug Stax headphones from the amp and press the cable pins against the back of my hand when ending a session. It discharges the drivers. You'll usually hear a scratchy thump sound from the drivers when you do this - perfectly safe. Never had a problem with any of my Stax headphones over the years.
Don't go trying, but it should be fairly difficult for a well designed electrostatic amplifier to damage your Stax headphones. Dynamic headphones often have amps that can easily push hundreds of times the power you'd ever conceivable need for listening, and have gobs of surplus gain on tap, so you can have those "Oh S**t" moments when you accidentally play them with the gain waaaay to high for a moment - and then you worry about whether you toasted the driver coils. That's not really easy to make happen with Stax :) In fact the more likely scenario is struggling to get enough gain for a good loud listening level with low-output sources - like say a low-MC based vinyl rig.

By the way the typical low-MC based phono stage starts around 60dB of gain, which is also the typical gain for an electrostatic amp - which adds up to 120dB of total gain from stylus tip to stators! That's pretty crazy it works as all, never mind how amazing it can sound.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #22,614 of 25,262
Hi folks,

I'm new to the Stax world. At a local headphone get-together some time ago, I had the opportunity of demoing the SR009 and SR009S together with the WOO Audio WES and it was just magic. My current headphone setup includes the Audeze LCD5, LCD2Fazors, LCD2Closed Back driven by an iFi IDSD Pro and Audeze Deckard. While the Stax does not have the slam and speed of the LCD5, the "air" around instruments is just magical.

Long story short, I set out to finding an affordable Stax system and managed to get a used set of SR009 and a SRM007tII energiser for a decent price from the local Stax agent. The headphones physically are in good condition and while the energiser has a few surface scratches, it was serviced by the agent and functions as intended.

- On the SR009 there is an arc-like sound in the left driver that comes and goes. The arc sound runs up and down the driver. When I demoed them at the agent I noticed it, pointed it out to the agent and he said it was normal. After about a minute the sound stopped. I have noticed the sound at home as well but it seems to stop after a minute or so after the headphones are plugged into the energiser. I've only done two listening sessions with them since getting them from the agent but both times had the sound shortly after plugging the headphones in. I'm not sure how normal this is and if it a showstopper. The headphones are fine with no volume difference between left and right drivers. The headphones have not been used in quite a time and has been kept at the agent in a box since buying it back from the previous owner, who sadly fell into alcoholism and then had financial troubles. I don't think he looked after the headphones as carefully as he should have.
- When I move my jaw around their is a slight but distinct pop of the drivers. I've read about the electrostatic farting and I assume this is it. I must actively try to get the headphones to do this, normal head movements do not provoke the sound.
- I've read that electrostatic headphones are sensitive to dust. How should I care for them? My other headphones are all on headphone stands in my study. Must the Stax be covered by plastic when placed on a stand when not in use to keep the dust out?
- Is their a correct way to clean the headphones? Can I use low speed on a blower to gently blow over the drivers to remove any dust that may be there from the previous owner's use of them?

Was the arcing present on multiple amps or just the very one you're currently using?

And perhaps to clarify, the sound is reminiscent to this

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #22,615 of 25,262
Hi folks,

I would advise you place the headphone in between headband and headstrap. I also got a black nylon cover to block out the sun just in case.
20220630_135642.jpg
20220630_135624.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #22,616 of 25,262
I also use the Woo Audio stand and Stax plastic cover for my SR-009 and not long ago I start using the plastic arch to place them in the stand. Prior I was using the head strap but noticed it started to get stretched out.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 30, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #22,617 of 25,262
Was the arcing present on multiple amps or just the very one you're currently using?

And perhaps to clarify, the sound is reminiscent to this

Multiple amps.

Definitely arcing. Obviously not as violent or loud as the Youtube clip you posted. It runs up and down the left driver after powering up the system. I was sitting with the headphones on with no music playing now and it lasted for a good 2 minutes before quieting down. Sounds like a little mouse running around squeaking inside the left ear cup. It seems to be quiet for a bit and then start again and it comes and goes.

If I unplug the cable and touch it with my finger to remove the electrical load it goes quiet. As soon as I plug it in again, the arcing starts.

Is this something I can fix myself (i.e. cleaning) or should I go back to the dealer?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #22,618 of 25,262
I’ve been hanging my Stax for years (since 2017) by the head straps and never noticed stretching. Something like the 009s only weighs 583g worst case scenario. That would only place 292g of force on each side of the head strap. That’s 0.64lbs. A more accurate number is about 460g total which is 230g per side or 0.51lbs. That’s not a lot of force. I’d say YMMV as far as head strap stretch goes.

Jun 30, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #22,619 of 25,262
Sounds like there is dust or some other foreign debris inside the driver. That's what usually causes the squeal. I would definitely take it back to the dealer. Stax have dust covers on them that are usually very good at keeping dust out, but looks like something got in in your case. Kinda shady of the dealer to tell you that it's normal though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back